+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Textbook question - piercing valves

Post Likes

Textbook question - piercing valves

Hello all,

I've been looking through my HVAC textbook between semesters and read that piercing valves should be removed once system access is no longer needed. This of course goes for the non-permanent type but my question is, how on earth do you remove a piercing valve and not lose your refrigerant? What am I missing here that the textbook does not cover?

Post Likes
    My only guess is that it's talking about the plier-type piercing valves that lock onto a refrigerant line like a pair of vice grips.

These are used to evacuate small equipment like window units or refrigerators when you're going to dispose of them.

I agree, every type of piercing valve will leave a hole and can't just be removed (unless the refrigerant already was)
    Ryan
    Maintenance Guy
    -----------------
    naysayer, skeptic, conspiracy theorist

Post Likes
    Here's the best answer I can think of...Don't work on anything that requires any of that stuff!!! Window units suck.

Post Likes
    I'm now thinking that what they failed to mention is that a tech can use a piercing valve to access the system in order to evacuate, install permanent service valves and make any necessary repairs before charging.

Post Likes
    Lol...true. I was given a 2 ton window unit that the previous ho put a screw through the coil. BRand new otherwise but I would like to attempt a fix and install in my shed.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    Here's the best answer I can think of...Don't work on anything that requires any of that stuff!!! Window units suck.

Post Likes
    well it already has big blue sky recovery so braze in real service valves.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by myngos211 View Post
    Lol...true. I was given a 2 ton window unit that the previous ho put a screw through the coil. BRand new otherwise but I would like to attempt a fix and install in my shed.
    Ok I can see your point there. I would get the taps that you braze in, pierce, then do what you need to do and leave it in there. All the other ones are prone to leak. If you really want an adventure then try doing all your work from the process tube off of the compressor!

Post Likes
    They are intended for small appliances such as refrigerators or window units.

Place the piercing valve near the end of the process stub on the appliance. After service is complete pinch off process stub, remove piercing valve and re-seal stub with soft solder.

No refrigerant will be lost.

Sign petition to limit Congressional and Senatorial terms. http://www.termlimits.org/

"We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now."--Martin Luther King Jr.

Post Likes
    Use this, no need to remove.

This one needs to be removed, it will leak.

Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by karsthuntr View Post
    Use this, no need to remove.

This one needs to be removed, it will leak.

That's just what I was talking about!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    That's just what I was talking about!
    Pictures make it more better.

Post Likes
    Manitowoc requires you to use one of these so as to not interfere with the charge , they do work.

The primary function of the design engineer is to make things difficult for the fabricator and impossible for the serviceman.

Post Likes
    Thanks for all the replies. Great pics too.

Post Likes
    When necessary, I usually will only use piercing valves to recover refrigerant and install permanent access fittings.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pion View Post
    When necessary, I usually will only use piercing valves to recover refrigerant and install permanent access fittings.
    That's why you use the top picture I posted. You braze it in (with it full of gas) and leave it there. Its a single step instead of using the bolt on one and then removing it and brazing in something else.

Post Likes
    You are supposed to use the piercing fitting to pull out the refrigerant. Then you braze on a new process tube and use one of these http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/rob12458.html to attach your hose to the end of the process tube (its like a rubber compression fitting) and charge by weight. Then you pinch off the tube, remove the fitting and braze over the end of the process tube. This way everything is still hermetic when you are done. It's not that hard as long as you make sure the process tube is long enough to work with.

Really though, just braze on a regular access fitting and be done with it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by karsthuntr View Post
    That's why you use the top picture I posted. You braze it in (with it full of gas) and leave it there. Its a single step instead of using the bolt on one and then removing it and brazing in something else.
    Same here...had a 20+ year old 10 ton Lennox with a defective high pressure switch a couple weeks ago, no core under the bad switch so I just brazed in the new service valve and wired in a new high pressure switch...took longer to go to the parts house than it did to do the work...
    Originally Posted by ladyfire3374:

"I used to wake up excited about the challenges of the day. Now the anticipation level is somewhere between a root canal and a colonoscopy."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hceptj View Post
    Same here...had a 20+ year old 10 ton Lennox with a defective high pressure switch a couple weeks ago, no core under the bad switch so I just brazed in the new service valve and wired in a new high pressure switch...took longer to go to the parts house than it did to do the work...
    Lennox is where I found out about the brazed saddle valves. I had a pressure switch go bad on a lennox unit. Lennox sent me the saddle valve and a screw on pressure switch and said to leave the old one in since it was brazed in.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in