I'll try to be brief:

I had my annual oil burner service in September. Did not use the burner until early october and even through the month only lightly due to warm weather, anyway burner stopped working all together 3 weeks after service call.

Contractor came out again right away, said nozzle was clogged and restarted. (they had changed the filter and nozzle during the first call supposedly). Also i noticed that the weight on the damper was now set all the way to .08 which is as far to the left as it will go. Knowing that I've never seen it set that far, I put it over to 0.05 which is a guess at where it should be. anyway, burner seemed to be running fine for a while until...

starting last weekend, i noticed damper going back and forth fairly violently while burner was on and also a smell of exhaust and maybe oil, not sure, but probably just exhaust, hard to tell. Smell only near the burner, no smell in house.

So i called contractor again, he came out and to quote him adjusted air/fuel ratio and said burner fine. I'm not so sure though, he set the damper to 0.04 and it still goes back and forth and shakes some especially the first few minutes and the smell is still there. It goes about 1/2 way in and stays there once burner running awhile.

Questions: Is it normal to have odors like exhaust near the burner?

and 2, is it normal for the damper to run 1/2 way in and shake a bit durning first few minutes? I had heard that it should be about 1/3.

Thanks in advance. BTW it's a Carrier 80.5% efficiency oil burner. A very basic Hot air furnace with a Beckett burner.

...you need a company who understands oil heat !!!!

ken

re: oil furnace

Company that did the work is ARS, I believe they are a national company?

Furnace is 3 years old and I don't want to change the company that has been servicing, I just want to know whether I should be concerned with the odors next to the furnace and how the damper is supposed to behave under normal conditions.

I would say call another oil company. You should NOT be smelling exhaust from the furnace. They need to check the flue draft and do a thorough combustion test.
    Dont play around with your safety!!

Something tells me you are both right. I am going to call another company tomorrow. I just noticed some white smoke comes out of the damper right when the furnace "fires" up and the damper is now bouncing back and forth again.

It is very annoying to have a company come out three times within 2 months for a simple annual maintanence. I guess none of the techs knew what they were doing. do i have any recourse to get the 99 bucks back for the initial visit?

I'm going to ask the new company to start from scratch in assessing the burner...nozzle size, damper setting, pump pressure, etc....sounds like they all could be wrong since they were all determined by this same company when they installed the furnace 3 years ago.

Be interested to hear your outcome...let us know.

frank

Well, I called another company and they came out this morning. It was like night and day in terms of service. The tech that came out was courteous and professional. Bottom line, burner was not running properly at all, he cleaned out unit and put the proper size nozzle, and did a bunch of other things (he was there 2 hours and did a thorough evaluation and set up the burner properly. Unit runs better than i've ever seen. The other company had been servicing for 3 years now and unit always ran pretty badly. This new company will get all my future buisiness.

Thanks for the advise Frank,

not every company under stands oil service, the companys that deliver oil tend to get most of the oil calls. resulting in more experance with oil furnaces.

Just so happens that the company that I called who fixed the problem is the company that delivers my oil and you are absolutely correct.