Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lennox G60V

I am really grateful to have these last answers as I would not have known any of that - this is a great forum to ask questions of experts who are not trying to sell you something personally and I really appreciate that you've all taken the time to comment. It's a big expenditure and we work so hard for our money it's a big relief to get this type of advice. I think it's more the blower noise then the burner noise I was worried about as it's right next to our family room but the sound from the vents is important too. I keep hearing they run continuously so that's why I was concerned too. Any other thoughts on these 2 models are appreciated.

If you want a very quiet furnace, get the Lennox SLP98.

^Overkill for that climate. It barely drops below freezing.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

Thanks guys, you are great.

Thanks chuckcrj for the advice - I was leaning toward the other older models because I thought maybe had a more proven reliability record is all. Any thoughts also on the XC17 a/c or the XP17 heat pump? Reliability wise? I don't really want a heat pump just a/c really as it will be right up against my neighbors yard don't want it running all the time & am worried about the noise level too.

do not know much about the xc 17 although the xc15 is very quiet .also i like the g60 furnace the motor is not noisy but the burners are mainly depends on where and how well the install is and a honeywell iaq thermostat set up to dehumidify and you have a nice reliable system

I don't really want a heat pump just a/c really as it will be right up against my neighbors yard don't want it running all the time & am worried about the noise level too.
    For a/c only a window unit might be to best option in your climate.

If you want central cooling anyway, might as well get a heatpump and save on heating costs. If your electrical service is 200 amps, a heatpump and air handler can save you from having to buy a new furnace.

There are quiet models out there if noise is an issue; the models with the compressor enclosed in an insulated cabinet are the best.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

neighbors would not hear the XC17 or XP17 running.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulina View Post
    Thanks chuckcrj for the advice - I was leaning toward the other older models because I thought maybe had a more proven reliability record is all. Any thoughts also on the XC17 a/c or the XP17 heat pump? Reliability wise? I don't really want a heat pump just a/c really as it will be right up against my neighbors yard don't want it running all the time & am worried about the noise level too.
    I recently did start ups on 2 xp17 heat pumps. They are the most quiet central units I have ever heard run. 10 ft away and can hardly tell they are running. Your neighbours won't hear it.

Smile Thanks guys, you are great.

Thanks for the input here there are also tax breaks for the heat pumps but not for the a/c - if I did want just a/c would it be a good idea to set up the heat pump just for that? I just hear so many complaints about heat pumps which I know many times is the install too though. The other thing with the furnace is - is it important to have good return air venting that seems to be something that makes a difference on the noise levels of furnaces too from things I've read. Guess after this one I will have picked your brains enough!!

Thanks for the input here there are also tax breaks for the heat pumps but not for the a/c - if I did want just a/c would it be a good idea to set up the heat pump just for that
    In your climate, installing a condenser for cooling only makes no economic sense.

If you want a/c, get a heatpump and use it above freezing.

Heatpumps don't work like furnaces; even a furnace which hasn't been commissioned properly can still provide plenty of heat. On the other hand, heatpumps have lower heating capacity to begin with and are not forgiving when it comes to less than perfect installations.

Heatpumps...

- Provide cooler supply air
    - Have longer cycles than furnaces (with the typical oversized furnace, you get short blasts of hot air)
    - Require a second source of heat for use during defrost cycles and cold weather. The second source of heat could be a furnace which takes over completely below around 32F or electric heat strips which provide supplemental heat

The G61V used in conjunction with a heatpump is an overkill in your climate; I would get a heatpump and builder's grade single stage furnace.

The nice thing about a 2 stage furnace in a mild climate is it will come on and run at low fire and if needed it will go to high fire the g 60 also has a variable speed motor that will save on electric and can be set up for dehumidify on demand with the correct thermostat if I. Had natural gas I would have a gas furnace no matter what climate if gas is expensive I would go dual fuel if gas is cheap in your area I would use it for heat

These days gas is dirt cheap, but it's volatile; electricity in vancouver is under 10 cents per kwh (last time I checked) and is mostly generated by hydro dams.

Not sure if the op cares about fossil fuel depletion and/or pollution - but if he does, a heatpump powered by renewable hydro electricity is about the best system money can buy in that climate, provided that the house is well insulated, the ductwork is good, and a really good contractor installs it.

"I think it's more the blower noise then the burner noise I was worried about as it's right next to our family room but the sound from the vents is important too. I keep hearing they run continuously so that's why I was concerned too. Any other thoughts on these 2 models are appreciated"

burner and inducer fan noise is what you are gonna hear thru the wall at the family room

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast