Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lennox G60V

Post Likes

Lennox G60V

Hi I just want to know if anyone can tell me how quiet a furnace a Lennox G60V is - like on a scale of 1-10? I would like to buy one not the G61V but the G60V but is it the same motor in these 2 furnaces? My house is about 2100 sq ft - should it be an 070? Sizing wise? Thanks...

Post Likes
    If you're in a cold climate anything below 90% afue should be out of the question.

G61 is probably quieter because it has a sealed burner compartment.

Both should be fairly quiet.

My house is about 2100 sq ft - should it be an 070? Sizing wise?
    No one on here has seen your house.

Post Likes

Thanks for that amd

I appreciate your reply - I wanted a B-vent instead of the hi-eff one because it would be easier to install here. I heard good things about the G61V just wanted to know if the G60V was same motor & as quiet. I am in Canada & unfortunately literally no contractors here offer one of those load calculations they all just guesstimate - thanks

Post Likes
    OOPS SORRY amd you are in Ontario I should specify I am in Vancouver so maybe they offer the calculation there but not here

Post Likes
    Regardless of ease of installation, I'd also recommend a 92 to 95% furnace. Nothing can make up for the loss of AFUE and increased operating costs in a shorter period of time than a simple upgrade!!

Post Likes
    Apparently money is no object if you are even considering going with a non condensing furnace in Canada! I could probably count on one hand the number of non condensing furnaces we have installed in the last 2 years.

The highest attainable efficiency (btu in vs btu out) on that G60 would be about 72% as opposed to 90% on the G61. And that is if they are set up to the best fuel/air mix with a combustion analyzer(not many contractors do).

That means out of every hundred dollars spent on gas, $28 goes up the chimney on the non condensing.

And yes the G61 would be quieter.

Post Likes
    Mid efficiency furnaces are obsolete in Canada - they don't import them any more.

Vancouver? I would get a cheaper furnace with an ecm blower (such as the gmvc95, icp vs95 or york tm9v) and a heatpump.

*Air handler with heat strips can be used instead of furnace if there's a 200 amp service.

Post Likes
    Thanks all of you & chuckcrj I am in Vancouver not an extreme climate here and just really interested in why the G61v would be quieter than the G60V in your opinion?

Post Likes
    High efficiency furnaces when installed correctly are sealed combustion - less burner and inducer noise.

With cheap hydro electricity and a mild climate, heating with a furnace is such a waste.

Post Likes
    So thanks this is really helpful - sorry I am not sure I understand - even if the G60V 80% eff B vent furnace (which I can buy from one company who has old stock here) & the 95% high eff G61V have the same motor in them - same fan etc - the G61V is quieter?

Post Likes
    I work for a large Lennox company and I've worked on hundreds of G61V and many G60V models. Both are very quiet units and reliable. On the G60v, the burner compartment is open to allow combustion air into the burner. So you will hear the burners running when it's on.

On the g61v--the burner compartment is sealed in a box reducing noise of the burners during operation--this however, is best achieved when the combustion air intake pipe is piped outdoors.

Post Likes
    If your ductwork is undersized, all system will be noisy, form air velocity at hte registers. If its' sized OK, then the isnulated cabinet of any better VS furnace will be queter than a standard blower. A high efficiency is queiter tha na B-vent. Quite a bit. With quiet ductwork, you'll still hear a B-vent furnace in a closet or basement with most modern construction.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by johnt2_2002 View Post
    I work for a large Lennox company and I've worked on hundreds of G61V and many G60V models. Both are very quiet units and reliable. On the G60v, the burner compartment is open to allow combustion air into the burner. So you will hear the burners running when it's on.

On the g61v--the burner compartment is sealed in a box reducing noise of the burners during operation--this however, is best achieved when the combustion air intake pipe is piped outdoors.
    +1

Post Likes
    I am really grateful to have these last answers as I would not have known any of that - this is a great forum to ask questions of experts who are not trying to sell you something personally and I really appreciate that you've all taken the time to comment. It's a big expenditure and we work so hard for our money it's a big relief to get this type of advice. I think it's more the blower noise then the burner noise I was worried about as it's right next to our family room but the sound from the vents is important too. I keep hearing they run continuously so that's why I was concerned too. Any other thoughts on these 2 models are appreciated.

Post Likes
    If you want a very quiet furnace, get the Lennox SLP98.

Post Likes
    ^Overkill for that climate. It barely drops below freezing.

Post Likes

Thanks guys, you are great.

Thanks chuckcrj for the advice - I was leaning toward the other older models because I thought maybe had a more proven reliability record is all. Any thoughts also on the XC17 a/c or the XP17 heat pump? Reliability wise? I don't really want a heat pump just a/c really as it will be right up against my neighbors yard don't want it running all the time & am worried about the noise level too.

Post Likes
    do not know much about the xc 17 although the xc15 is very quiet .also i like the g60 furnace the motor is not noisy but the burners are mainly depends on where and how well the install is and a honeywell iaq thermostat set up to dehumidify and you have a nice reliable system

Post Likes
    I don't really want a heat pump just a/c really as it will be right up against my neighbors yard don't want it running all the time & am worried about the noise level too.
    For a/c only a window unit might be to best option in your climate.

If you want central cooling anyway, might as well get a heatpump and save on heating costs. If your electrical service is 200 amps, a heatpump and air handler can save you from having to buy a new furnace.

There are quiet models out there if noise is an issue; the models with the compressor enclosed in an insulated cabinet are the best.

Post Likes
    neighbors would not hear the XC17 or XP17 running.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in