Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lennox G60V

Lennox G60V

Hi I just want to know if anyone can tell me how quiet a furnace a Lennox G60V is - like on a scale of 1-10? I would like to buy one not the G61V but the G60V but is it the same motor in these 2 furnaces? My house is about 2100 sq ft - should it be an 070? Sizing wise? Thanks...

If you're in a cold climate anything below 90% afue should be out of the question.

G61 is probably quieter because it has a sealed burner compartment.

Both should be fairly quiet.

My house is about 2100 sq ft - should it be an 070? Sizing wise?
    No one on here has seen your house.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

Thanks for that amd

I appreciate your reply - I wanted a B-vent instead of the hi-eff one because it would be easier to install here. I heard good things about the G61V just wanted to know if the G60V was same motor & as quiet. I am in Canada & unfortunately literally no contractors here offer one of those load calculations they all just guesstimate - thanks

OOPS SORRY amd you are in Ontario I should specify I am in Vancouver so maybe they offer the calculation there but not here

Regardless of ease of installation, I'd also recommend a 92 to 95% furnace. Nothing can make up for the loss of AFUE and increased operating costs in a shorter period of time than a simple upgrade!!

Apparently money is no object if you are even considering going with a non condensing furnace in Canada! I could probably count on one hand the number of non condensing furnaces we have installed in the last 2 years.

The highest attainable efficiency (btu in vs btu out) on that G60 would be about 72% as opposed to 90% on the G61. And that is if they are set up to the best fuel/air mix with a combustion analyzer(not many contractors do).

That means out of every hundred dollars spent on gas, $28 goes up the chimney on the non condensing.

And yes the G61 would be quieter.

Mid efficiency furnaces are obsolete in Canada - they don't import them any more.

Vancouver? I would get a cheaper furnace with an ecm blower (such as the gmvc95, icp vs95 or york tm9v) and a heatpump.

*Air handler with heat strips can be used instead of furnace if there's a 200 amp service.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

Thanks all of you & chuckcrj I am in Vancouver not an extreme climate here and just really interested in why the G61v would be quieter than the G60V in your opinion?

High efficiency furnaces when installed correctly are sealed combustion - less burner and inducer noise.

With cheap hydro electricity and a mild climate, heating with a furnace is such a waste.

So thanks this is really helpful - sorry I am not sure I understand - even if the G60V 80% eff B vent furnace (which I can buy from one company who has old stock here) & the 95% high eff G61V have the same motor in them - same fan etc - the G61V is quieter?

I work for a large Lennox company and I've worked on hundreds of G61V and many G60V models. Both are very quiet units and reliable. On the G60v, the burner compartment is open to allow combustion air into the burner. So you will hear the burners running when it's on.

On the g61v--the burner compartment is sealed in a box reducing noise of the burners during operation--this however, is best achieved when the combustion air intake pipe is piped outdoors.

If your ductwork is undersized, all system will be noisy, form air velocity at hte registers. If its' sized OK, then the isnulated cabinet of any better VS furnace will be queter than a standard blower. A high efficiency is queiter tha na B-vent. Quite a bit. With quiet ductwork, you'll still hear a B-vent furnace in a closet or basement with most modern construction.

Quote Originally Posted by johnt2_2002 View Post
    I work for a large Lennox company and I've worked on hundreds of G61V and many G60V models. Both are very quiet units and reliable. On the G60v, the burner compartment is open to allow combustion air into the burner. So you will hear the burners running when it's on.

On the g61v--the burner compartment is sealed in a box reducing noise of the burners during operation--this however, is best achieved when the combustion air intake pipe is piped outdoors.
    +1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast