Rheem aux heat question

what do I need to know RE my choice of a Rheem 7KW vs. a Rheem 10KW aux heat?

Two estimates, one offers a 7kw and the other a 10kw?

I can tweak either I'm guessing, but what is the preference and why?

Just more heat delivery potential and more electrical consumption on the 10? Or are there other decision points that I need to consider?

thanks in advance for helping an HVAC-ignorant homeowner make a hopefully good upgrade decision!

Quote Originally Posted by hokies416 View Post
    what do I need to know RE my choice of a Rheem 7KW vs. a Rheem 10KW aux heat?

Two estimates, one offers a 7kw and the other a 10kw?

I can tweak either I'm guessing, but what is the preference and why?

Just more heat delivery potential and more electrical consumption on the 10? Or are there other decision points that I need to consider?

thanks in advance for helping an HVAC-ignorant homeowner make a hopefully good upgrade decision!
    yes the bigger kw heater delivers more heat as it uses more electricity

did you do a heat load calc, you can get one here
    “If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.” ~ Sir Isaac Newton

I'm learning all the time, the tombstone will be my diploma!!!

Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

I would opt for the 10Kw. Being as you are in the north where it is much colder in the winter, and if you do not have a foam house, the 10 should provide more comfort at a little more cost. (If you do have a foam house, 7Kw should be fine.)

Hokie

What is your location?

What size home?

What size existing HP?

What size existing heat strip?

Each KW of a heat strip yields apprx 3400 BTUs of heat.

So a 7 KW yields about 24 KBTUs; a 10 KW about 34 KBTUs.

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdunes View Post
    Hokie

What is your location?

Blacksburg, VA. While NOT north, we do have winter weather and during this process I have learned something that I should have known, that we have more heating months than cooling months. So the 15.5 SEER/9.5 HSPF that Rheem offers in the 1.5 ton looks pretty good.

What size home?

approx 3000 sq feet, but this replacement is for a 1.5 ton unit that services the upstairs 3 bedrooms & 2 full baths, so the question relates to the smaller HP which we're replacing.

What size existing HP?

2 units, we replaced a 2 ton a year ago with a 19 SEER Lennox 2-ton. This year's project is to replace an aging 11.5 SEER Lennox and it's looking like a 15.5 Rheem with a 9.5 HSPF is what I'm leaning heavily toward. 2 of the 3 Rheem estimates include 10KW aux heat, the other a 7kw. Hence the question.

What size existing heat strip? ???

don't know....great question!! I'll research given we were happy with the heat for 17 years of the Lennox 11.5/1.5 ton

Each KW of a heat strip yields apprx 3400 BTUs of heat.

*THIS* is GREAT info for the novice home owner that I am!!

So a 7 KW yields about 24 KBTUs; a 10 KW about 34 KBTUs.

The HP & AH that we're strongly considering are the Rheem RPQL018JEZ and the RHKLHM2417JA. So with a HP at 18K BTUs does that offer me an indication that 7kw aux heat should suffice?

IMO

This place has been BEYOND helpful!!! I thank each and everyone of of you that has taken the time to offer up expertise, tips, etc.!!

>> What size existing heat strip? ???

It's an 8kw currently, and upon hearing that I went for the 10kw.

Again...thanks all!

Rheem HP in the north

Being in the north, go for the 10kw strip heat. However, I will note that there is an issue with using Rheem/Ruud heat pumps in the north. Rheem, being a southern based company, will fail to cooling whereas almost all the other brands fail to heat.

Quote Originally Posted by hokies416 View Post
    >> What size existing heat strip? ???

It's an 8kw currently, and upon hearing that I went for the 10kw.

Again...thanks all!
    If your dealer did a Manual J load calculation and Used manual S for the equipment selection it would show the ballance point of your heat pump and there would be no guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by CallForHeat View Post
    However, I will note that there is an issue with using Rheem/Ruud heat pumps in the north. Rheem, being a southern based company, will fail to cooling whereas almost all the other brands fail to heat.
    ??????????????