Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Is your condenser coil clean? is there any water in the overflow drain pan? that condenser motor sure sounds weird on start, but could just be the audio quality. Does it cool ok once it makes up it's mind to run?
    Yes the coil is clean. The audio is pretty accurate. It sounds very violent when starting--has been that way ever since they installed it this spring, but I figured it was normal since it sounded the same way when the installers were here, and they didn't seem to think nothing of it.

Once it starts running the house cools fine. The air never blows out of the vents as hard as my old one did, but I figure that has something to do with the variable speed thing they talked me into.

I've always been wondering if the variable speed air handler they put in was even compatible with the outside unit they matched it with... Is there someplace to check on this?

Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    Not good. Sounds like you are short cycling on a safety. I'm not real familiar with the Trane residential line but you certainly have a problem. You might be flirting with compressor damage if you keep it up until Monday.....
    Well, that sucks. It's been doing this for at least a few weeks now.

Had one where the Contactor was only half engaging.
    Only one of the two poles were making contact, the other chattered and released.
    Don't go away angry... Just go away.

Since the beginning of your problem you should call, you better gonna turn system off 36 or 48 hours remaining until your company come out, how long the problem started? + at least 40 hours more. Better to have an incovenient nigths than replace a major component in your equipment. Or having problems down the road and costing you more money.

Well, it's been over 100 degrees for like two months straight here in Texas, and turning off the AC for a couple days is not something I'd like to do with a newborn in the house.

I do have a 2 year maintenance warranty on it, so hopefully, if something breaks or needs to be replaced it'll happen sooner rather than later.

It's funny, because I've lived here 5 years with my old 20 year old unit, and never had any issues with it. The only reason I replaced it was because the electricity bill in the winter were ridiculous. Didn't expect to be having such problems with a brand new system. Oh well, that's life!

Is your house and your family, was only a recomendation, good luck I hope you will get it fix

I do not think it is a safety because the fan stops with the compressor. Although Tranes my do that, I am not totally sure on that one. I would say something is loose or the contactor is not engaging correctly. If your installer left it like that then I would get on him as this is not the way the system should run at all.
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

If it is going out on safety that would open the contactor and fan would shut off as well. I had one doing same thing. Was border line low on ref. Sometimes it would stay running and sometimes not. Installer never topped up for long line set. Calculated and topped up unit. Has been fine for 2 years.

OK, I found all my model numbers for my equipment, but can't find out from reading the Trane website if these things are all recommended to go together...

Trane
    Indoor unit model #: AM7AOC48H41SAA
    Outdoor unit model #: 4TWR5048E1000AB
    Thermostat model#: TCONT800

LMAO - Please don't ask the tech to check if your condenser coil is dirty. It is a brand spanking new unit.

But, seriously. You need to have the tech to look at it. If it happens like this long, it will die and you will be hot for more than a week.

If you are lucky, this happens when the tech is on site so he can pinpoint the problem. Other wise, it will be a guessing game for him. Show him the video.

Good luck

Just my 2 cents worth but I would say low pressure cut out. Unit low on refrigerant has to cycle a couple of times to get pressures up then will continue to operate.

Looks like a 14 Seer 410A system. Not much electrical components on that system. Pretty basic.

Quote Originally Posted by mcjo tech View Post
    Just my 2 cents worth but I would say low pressure cut out. Unit low on refrigerant has to cycle a couple of times to get pressures up then will continue to operate.

Looks like a 14 Seer 410A system. Not much electrical components on that system. Pretty basic.
    I think the owner said "sometimes this puppy just take off and run smoothly". I don't think he/she complains that it is hot in the house even though it is 100 degrees in Dallas. So I don't think dirty coil (LMAO), over charge, or low freon

I guess bad pressure switches, or even the defrost board.

Anyway, it is just a guessing game here.

Hope they get it fix fast for there is a new baby in the house.

Who was the contractor?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast