Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello, John is the name here

Post Likes

Frown Hello, John is the name here

Few weeks ago I had a new rheem dual fuel hvac unit put in my house, replacing an old 25 pulse gas Lenox unit. Old gas unit was rated at 60,000 btu, for some reason I'm wondering if they over sized my new gas unit. this units seems very hot to me an not as comfortable as the old unit. It's a 2 stage heat unit model RGFE10EZCMS, how do I tell the btu's on this unit, an how do you tell which stage of heat it's in, low are high stage. tks Also it took 5 visit to my house to get it working, well known company out of Nashville TN

Post Likes
    moved to AOP forum

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by youtalktomuch View Post
    Few weeks ago I had a new rheem dual fuel hvac unit put in my house, replacing an old 25 pulse gas Lenox unit. Old gas unit was rated at 60,000 btu, for some reason I'm wondering if they over sized my new gas unit. this units seems very hot to me an not as comfortable as the old unit. It's a 2 stage heat unit model RGFE10EZCMS, how do I tell the btu's on this unit, an how do you tell which stage of heat it's in, low are high stage. tks Also it took 5 visit to my house to get it working, well known company out of Nashville TN
    105K BTU What T stat do you have controlling it?

Post Likes
    Wow; that upsizing makes no sense...

Well, 60,000-Btuh might have been somewhat oversized for a 97.5%, 14°F winter design in Nashville TN.
    Why would anyone go up to 105,000!

Why don't you do a Free whole house load-calc to see what size might be appropriate; also shows cooling load-calc.
    http://www.loadcalc.net/

Post Likes
    honeywell 8000

Post Likes
    Sorry for the slow respond, few medical problems. Ok, 25 year old house, 1,600 downstairs 950 upstairs, up stairs has amana heat pump, well plesaed with the unit. House has 6 inch putside walls, new therma windows. No north side windows, 9 windows downstairs 7 windows upstairs, well insulated house. Old 60,000 unit did a great job in heating, so I think a 100,000 is unreal, even on low 60,000. Wish I had known sooner the size they where going to install. In away I think they have no clue.

Post Likes
    100,000 for a 1600 sq ft first floor is just crazy.

Post Likes
    That's 65 btu's pr sq ft. That's probably 2 1/2 times what you need. Maybe more. 40k would have been enough. It's gonna short cycle, be uncomfortable and die an early death.

I'd make them take it out and put the correct size in. No excuse for that kind of negligence.
    Bob Boan

​You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.

Post Likes
    Call them back to replace it with the correct size

Post Likes
    Guy called me today checking on the new unit, but I was out for a few, called him back so he is out, just waiting on a return call, An I'm sure they won't agree to correct the problem. If they don't I wonder getting a lawyer to write a letter to them will help since it was their fault in the install. Also bought the unit through home depol interest free for one yr. I guess they sub the sale out to this company in Nashville. Home Depol also contacted me with a survey which I told the lady it was all bad, installers where friendly , stayed busy, but I guess they where given wrong size to install. I guess I need to call home depol back an see what they can are will do are won't do.

Post Likes
    I have email Rheem to make sure about the btu output of this unit to be really sure about the btu output, no one responds, is there a number I can call to speak to a rep. I"m very happy with the heat pump side of the unit, air feels very good. All is not bad.

Post Likes
    I have email Rheem to make sure about the btu output of this unit to be really sure about the btu output, no one responds, is there a number I can call to speak to a rep. I"m very happy with the heat pump side of the unit, air feels very good. All is not bad.
    RGFE10EZCMS,

equals 105,000 BTU

Post Likes
    Came out as I expected, will not change out. Guy said they called rheem an where told this does match out with the rest of the system. Ask him if rheem was told size of house an they didn't. Guy tells me he can cut 2 burners off to lower btu, is this possible an safe?

Post Likes
    It's against code and the warranty to modify a furnace's gas train and capacity that way. If they do it, they own it and any liabilities that arise from it.

Calling Rheem is a moot point as the issue is the sizing of the furnace to the load of the house. Unless you want to call them about removing two burners. I can assure you that their response will be the same as mine.

Just to put things in perspective: if your house needs 40k btu's to heat it, that's at design temp which is 14* for Nashville. At any temp above that, the furnace is over-sized. At 42*, you would only need 20k btu's.

I would recommend that you politely request that they produce a load calculation which would confirm they sized the furnace correctly. Obviously, they won't be able to do this. In the mean time, use one the online load calc programs to do your own and post the results here to confirm your numbers. Then go back to them with your calc and show them how grossly over-sized the furnace is for your house. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Last edited by Dad; 12-06-2013 at 08:42 PM.
    Bob Boan

​You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.

Post Likes
    Talked to a guy today an he said it was a state law in Tn to do a load cal. starting in jan . 1st 2013, , which i don't know if that is fact are not. Also was told rheem made a plug to cut off some of the burners in the unit, which I do not know if this is a fact. Got to contact a Rheem rep. to see if this is correct. Any ideals how to contact a rep?

Post Likes
    Talked to a guy today an he said it was a state law in Tn to do a load cal. starting in jan . 1st 2013, , which i don't know if that is fact are not. Also was told rheem made a plug to cut off some of the burners in the unit, which I do not know if this is a fact. Got to contact a Rheem rep. to see if this is correct. Any ideals how to contact a rep?
    Rheem isn't going to do anything for you, because it's not their problem.

The only one who can correct the problem is the person you purchased the furnace from.
    How did they arrive at the size of the furnace?
    Did they do a site evaluation before installation?
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    Figured Rheem wouldn't do anything to help. Know they didn't do an evaluation, just mostly went by the size of the old ac out side, which was 2 an a half ton, said Rheem didn't make half ton sizes an bumped it up to 3 ton, an said with the new gas it didn't cool as efficent as old gas, which I don't know if that's true are false. New unit is 2 speed, so I thought that in low it would be ok. where he got the bright ideal I needed 100,000 btu is unknown to me. Old unit was 60,000 btu lenox pulse, a great unit to me, 25 yrs an few problems,, drip pan rusted out once an 2 new flapers an 1 spark plug. A little noisy outside is all. The lawyer thing would cost me more than a new gas unit I guess, so that's not doing me any good. Thought I could trust a known company in Nashville, guess that didn't work out so great.

Post Likes
    Figured Rheem wouldn't do anything to help. Know they didn't do an evaluation, just mostly went by the size of the old ac out side, which was 2 an a half ton, said Rheem didn't make half ton sizes an bumped it up to 3 ton, an said with the new gas it didn't cool as efficent as old gas, which I don't know if that's true are false. New unit is 2 speed, so I thought that in low it would be ok. where he got the bright ideal I needed 100,000 btu is unknown to me. Old unit was 60,000 btu lenox pulse, a great unit to me, 25 yrs an few problems,, drip pan rusted out once an 2 new flapers an 1 spark plug. A little noisy outside is all. The lawyer thing would cost me more than a new gas unit I guess, so that's not doing me any good. Thought I could trust a known company in Nashville, guess that didn't work out so great.

Post Likes

If they're a known company, you should push them harder.
    Let them know your going to go to the news.

It's not a matter of if the furnace is a match for the air.

It's a matter of if your system is a match for your house.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    Got a question, how do you tell what stage the gas burner is in, high are low, an how does this work. Does all the burners work at once are only a few.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in