Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Hybrid View

Is a compressor suppose to do this?

Long time lurker, first time poster. Hi!

I live in Dallas TX, 2200 sq ft house. I just had a completely new outside and inside unit put in my home this spring.

5 ton Trane XR15 with variable speed Trane air handler.

Here's my question...

Sometimes, the outside condenser unit will "start up" several times before it actually stays on. Like, it'll turn on for a few seconds, then turn off for about 10 seconds... turn on again for a few seconds, then turn off for about 10 seconds. Sometimes it does this just a couple times before starting, and other times it'll do it up to maybe 5 or 6 times before starting. Sometimes it doesn't do it at all and starts running the first time.

Is this normal? I've never had a variable speed air handler so I'm not sure if the outside unit is suppose to be doing that or not...

I got a 2 year service warranty so I need to know whether to call the AC company back out again (for the third time).

Thanks!!!

Not right.

Yes call your service company, and have them come out, you are in the installaion warranty period. Possibly wirea are not making good contact, call them, you will avoid further issues down the road if you don't.

Thanks!

I called the service company and they're coming out Monday.

Yep, absolutely call them back. It should not be doing that and if it continues could severely damage your comprssor. Most likely a problem within the electrical/start system.

most likely its cycling on high pressure limit. overcharge or restriction.

So I've been paying more attention to it now that you guys all agree that it is not suppose to be doing that, and I've noticed something... When the compressor turns off after I hear the thermostat "click" (when it is suppose to I think), it shuts down smooth and quietly.

But when it gets into it's "turn on, turn off, turn on, turn off" mode, when it shuts down it does so very loud and abruptly, like a loud and jarring click. It's actually been doing this ever since it's been installed, off and on.

I thought it was normal. I'm such an idiot!!!

Quote Originally Posted by phatmass View Post
    So I've been paying more attention to it now that you guys all agree that it is not suppose to be doing that, and I've noticed something... When the compressor turns off after I hear the thermostat "click" (when it is suppose to I think), it shuts down smooth and quietly.

But when it gets into it's "turn on, turn off, turn on, turn off" mode, when it shuts down it does so very loud and abruptly, like a loud and jarring click. It's actually been doing this ever since it's been installed, off and on.

I thought it was normal. I'm such an idiot!!!
    If you were properly trained in the art of refrigeration and air conditioning you would be an "idiot"
    As a home owner you suspected a problem, you confirmed the problem, and you are doing something about it. Your far ahead of the pack in my mind.
    Never give up; Never surrender!

I took a video of exactly what it's doing. I ran out there after I heard it start doing it again--it was probably doing this for about a minute before I got out there and figured out how to record this on my phone. haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fftS3sqrej4

Quote Originally Posted by phatmass View Post
    I took a video of exactly what it's doing. I ran out there after I heard it start doing it again--it was probably doing this for about a minute before I got out there and figured out how to record this on my phone. haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fftS3sqrej4
    Not good. Sounds like you are short cycling on a safety. I'm not real familiar with the Trane residential line but you certainly have a problem. You might be flirting with compressor damage if you keep it up until Monday.....

late to the party

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 09-03-2012 at 11:09 AM. Reason: non AOP member

Since the beginning of your problem you should call, you better gonna turn system off 36 or 48 hours remaining until your company come out, how long the problem started? + at least 40 hours more. Better to have an incovenient nigths than replace a major component in your equipment. Or having problems down the road and costing you more money.

I do not think it is a safety because the fan stops with the compressor. Although Tranes my do that, I am not totally sure on that one. I would say something is loose or the contactor is not engaging correctly. If your installer left it like that then I would get on him as this is not the way the system should run at all.
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast