Carrier Infinity System

Question

What are peoples thoughts on the Carrier Infinity System? I really like how it can (or so the lit states) control "temperature, humidity, air quality, fan speed and ventilation."

I have all hardwood floors, so being able to controll the humidity is really important to me. Fome what I have read the controller can run the humidifier without the heat, AC, or blower always on.

Systems sounds impressive to me.
    Doug

I am getting 2 Infinity Systems for my soon to be new house. I love all the features it includes as well. I think it will be a big improvement over the standard furnace and AHU they have in the house already. If you are gonna get one, find a contractor willing to do a Manual J load calculation and a Manual D Duct Design Calculation. Both of these items will vastly improve your comfort. I can't wait to have my own Infinity!

http://www.commercial.carrier.com/co..._SIT12,00.html

Just a consumer here - not a professional - but I just got an Infinity system and I have hardwood floors.

I am learning much about humidification with my system. Typically the system will not humidify without the heat on. You can set the system with the fan on low (for air cleaning as I do) and there is a deep program setting to allow the humidifier to run with just the fan on (but no heat). But this is less than optimal as the heat help get the water into the air stream (vaporize?) However, your humidifier should be connected to hot water supply (not cold) so it can be done - maybe just not as efficient in getting that moisture into the airstream without the heating.

Also I have found that my Infinity system is not always able to hit its own internal humidity control targets during the winter in northern Illinois. This may be because the system does not run long enough under heat cycles to get the home humidified. It is not really far off target (say 2-4%), but enough to be frustrating. I may try the "humidify without heat" option - but it is okay for now. We are due for some really cold nights this week - so we will see.

Since I have not used it for cooling yet - I don't know how well it will dehumidify in the summer - but I think I remember that it can dehumidify down to 50%??? (Maybe wrong).

I will wait to see how well the Infinity system works for a year - but I will tell you there are more important things I wish I would have known -

1) Check all ductwork sizes with calcs and flows before getting a new system. A new system like infinity is great - but it can only do so much if you don't have the right duct system.

2) Make sure load calcs are done to size the unit properly

3) If you do have new ducts - make sure they seal all with water based mastic.

Also - try you might also want get a competitive bid from Bryant since they are the same equipment (Carrier=Bryant) and may cost less since the Carrier name has more prestige.

[Edited by bertrand on 12-01-2005 at 05:10 PM]

infinity is a goos system

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by dougjrs

What are peoples thoughts on the Carrier Infinity System? I really like how it can (or so the lit states) control "temperature, humidity, air quality, fan speed and ventilation."

I have all hardwood floors, so being able to controll the humidity is really important to me. Fome what I have read the controller can run the humidifier without the heat, AC, or blower always on.

Systems sounds impressive to me.
    Doug

Use the search function on this site "Infinity" to see what other homeowners think.

I know the best system money can buy is worthless installed wrong. I have always had Carrier systems, and they have worked well for me. The Carrier system that I have now was installed about 20 years ago. If someone had not physically damaged the unit it would probably still be ok. (big whole cut in case with evap coil, lots of duct tape and cardboard, plastic dixie cups taped together to drain something I think (actually have no clue what the cups are for), a garden hose in the evap coil. They list does on. The house was used as a rental for a while, and I know one guy though that he was an HVAC god and could fix anything. Now, it is my house again.

If I had know about this site I would have taken a couple of pictures before I celaned up the system some. (Sorry the card board was so hot that I had to turn everything off to let it cool before I could remove- I am amazed the house didn't burn down)

With all the damage to the unit it needs some major repair, and I am going to guess that they were trying to fix a problem with the AC. Anyway before I move in and have the furnace go, or have no AC, or get the HUGE gas/elec bill it is time for a new unit.

Doug

Do you think you could post pics when it is done?
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=22507

Originally posted by bertrand

I will wait to see how well the Infinity system works for a year - but I will tell you there are more important things I wish I would have known -

1) Check all ductwork sizes with calcs and flows before getting a new system. A new system like infinity is great - but it can only do so much if you don't have the right duct system.

2) Make sure load calcs are done to size the unit properly

3) If you do have new ducts - make sure they seal all with water based mastic.
    If you don't mind, would you elaborate just a bit on what happened in your case to pass on this good info?

Jon

I have an Infinity system in my condo and a zoned Infinity system in my condo association's clubhouse. Their performance is outstanding, and I am completely satisfied.

Notes, though:
    -Carrier heat pumps use a less than cutting edge defrost system; this is mostly OK but can impair the ability of a heat pump to do all the heating it would otherwise be capable of in a dual fuel application
    -While no systems tolerate subpar (restrictive) ductwork or filters *well*, Infinity systems will actually complain about it. This sometimes causes post-install problems, but in my book this is a benefit because the system helps prevent contractors from leaving it set up in a way that's not good for the equipment or its efficiency but good enough that a homeowner wouldn't know the difference.
    -Load calculations are critical. If you are concerned about humidification, make sure the furnace sized as small as possible, because most humidifiers depend on the furnace running *a lot*. They will only reach their rated output if the furnace is operating (not just blower, but heating!) 75% of the time.
    -The system can command a humidifier to run when there is no call for heat (just using the blower to circulate the humidity) but this is of very little benefit unless you're using a steam humidifier. Steamers are expensive to buy and they use tons of electricity, so they are only used where absolutely necessary. Regular evaporative ("bypass" or "fan-powered") do fine in the vast majority of cases, though, and the Infinity system does a good job of controlling them too.
    -Dehumidification control is superior to pretty much anything else. You still can't get away with oversizing the cooling system, though, and in extended weather when it's mild and humid the system may not be able to do much for you. Don't be tempted to oversize the indoor cooling coil because of the higher efficiency ratings those coils can reach; you sacrifice dehumidification capacity in doing so.
    -In some cases and some climates it may be better to get a central dehumidifier, because those can dehumidify regardless of the outdoor conditions. My Infinity systems do just fine for fairly ordinary construction in Atlanta, though, even using single-speed cooling units (not the top of the line two-speed Infinity outdoor unit). I use a 46% cooling humidity setting at home; the system generally can always keep it under 50% and it has never exceeded 54% under any conditions. If I were on the Gulf Coast, though, I might have gotten a somewhat less fancy system and put a central dehumidifier on it.

Confused

Could you go into the defrost control a little deeper please?

-Carrier heat pumps use a less than cutting edge defrost system;

I have a couple questions about my brand new 38YDB036 and FE fan coil.

1. Do the DIP switch settings matter when using the Infinity stat or does the infinity override the DIP switches?

2. Default = 90 min which is fine I think but I also see it defrost when there is no frost build up? Does it force a defrost every 90 mins as long as the coil temp is below approx 30 deg?

Thanks

Many thanks to all of you. I have a new Carrier Infinity system. The local dealer could not figure out how to enable the fan speed programmability that was mentioned in the Infinity Control Homeowners Guide. A link provided by york_hvac on this forum got me to the install guides on the Carrier site. I went thru the setup proceedure and turned on the missing feature. It also go me into very impressive setup menus giving run times and other cool stuff.

That's what happens when you sell stuff to people that actually read instructions!!

Forums like this is what make the internet great

Thanks again!

Your Welcome! I can't wait to have my own Infinity System!