cogged belts and noise

How cogged belt compares to a plain B-belt when it comes to noise and vibration?
    I think cogged's are louder than a regular belts. trying to quiet down couple of belt driven exhaust fans. whats your take?

I'd check the sheaves for wear. I've never noticed properly sized and installed cog belts to be much, if any, louder than plain.

Quote Originally Posted by klove View Post
    I'd check the sheaves for wear. I've never noticed properly sized and installed cog belts to be much, if any, louder than plain.
    And can I add they require more tension. If you can roll the belts off, then they are under tensioned.

Now if you mean synchronized belts, then yes they will be noisier.

I've asked the same question from belt and bearing suppliers. Seems like cog belts make more noise cause the cogged sections of belt are tapping the pulley as it goes around the pulley. Also said pulleys wear out faster cause they grip more then a non cog belt.
    ENJOY THE RIDE

As KLove said, I`ve only noticed more noise when pulley is opened too far or worn out.

If you can notice a difference in noise between a cogged and regular belt... you're hearing is far too good. Go to some more concerts, listen to some high horsepower engines screaming for a while.. and it'll all be much quieter!
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

VETO PRO PAC, The Official Tool Bag of HVAC-Talk.com

Testo... you guys rule!

Ask my wife, I don't hear when she talks to me.
    Or is my memory failing, I don't remember.
    But seriously, my hearing is shot. I always hear what sounds like a prop airplaine flying around.
    ENJOY THE RIDE

I think cogged belts are a bit more noisy. a lot more if the pulleys are shot out of alingment or the tension is off.

Quote Originally Posted by Peztoy View Post
    Also said pulleys wear out faster cause they grip more then a non cog belt.
    I have had Gates and Browning state the opposite. There is less slip with a cogged belt.....that's why they can handle more hp. Less slip, less heat, less wear, and longer sheave life.

The best non synchronized sheave life I find, are on properly sized drives running VX belts.

just check tension alinement and rpm slip= wear and heat make sure belts are not being pinched good luck if all that checks out call gates talk to their rep they have helped me before gave them the make and info found out the motor was the wrong one and was using the wrong belt type slowed it down changed belts all its problems went away good luck

Cogs are noisier and wear down pulleys quicker. Cogs are like teeth biting down on the pulleys as they rotate.