Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confused New Trane condensor not cooling.

I had a 17+ year old Coleman system. The condensor blower motor went and shortly thereafter the compressor went. Since my air handler is in the attic, the serviceman recommended a "dry" system (XB13: 2TTB3042A) which would allow me to continue using my original AH with the R22. While it worked for about a week, it started blowing room temperature air. Installer returned, claimed he checked the charge, capacitors, etc and everything was fine. He went into the attic and claimed that the AH had an older piston metering valve and needed a TEV because the above SEER 13 unit was not compatible with the piston metering device. He claimed it would work for a while but then would eventually freeze up and not provide any cooling at all. He would not guarantee that he would be able to install a compatible TEV. He suggested getting a new air handler to work with the R-22. So I'm asking:
    1. Is his assessment of the problem reasonable?
    2. If I end up having to replace the AH shouldn't I swap out the above condensing unit and go with a complete R-41 unit?
    3. Should the installer had known about the metering problem prior to giving me the equivalent of a large paperweight?

Thanks!

A system that old he should have recommended a complete equipment replacement

It was/is my understanding that Trane does not and will not make the DRY r22 systems, I would be checking the date code on that unit.

Yes he should have known that was not a proper match up!
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Yeah,, Trane has been outta r-22 units for quite some time.
    A dry or r-22 condenser would work as is, I think something else is going on, maybe a leak or whatever took out the old system.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

sounds like an installer problem. i've done many systems like this. and haven't had a problem. of course it's not going to be perfect but i will get the job done. ask him if he charged it using super heat. if he didn't he's just not the man for the job. sounds liek he was trying to take a short cut or being lazy and didn't want to relocate the AH or get a new one up there. doing the job this way is always second choice for me. but you do what you have to. he should have also did an evap coil clean while he had the system evacuated. a unit that old and in the attic probably has a dirty coil. but i always add that to the price. not sure about trane but i know carrier has some dry units. just my 2 cents
    Aire Force A/C and heating
    Florida
    since 1988

You would put a new outdoor on a seventeen year indoor? Amazing!

By the way Trane to my knowledge does not nor ever has made a 13 SEER unit matched to a flow rater, only TXV.
    Last edited by jimj; 08-25-2011 at 09:35 PM. Reason: a

Here is what Carrier has to say about miss-match!
    Attached Images Attached Images

They do make a dry unit. It would be wise to get a matching Trane air handler. Any of today's 410 units will work, they make a kit to swap the 410 TXV for a 22 version. No need to replace the outdoor unit you already bought.

Quote Originally Posted by jimj View Post
    You would put a new outdoor on a seventeen year indoor? Amazing!

By the way Trane to my knowledge does not nor ever has made a 13 SEER unit matched to a flow rater, only TXV.
    tell that to the home owner that is paying it. normaly it's a little old lady or couple on a fixed income. i do what i have to get them going on what they can pay. like i said it is never a first choice but you have to do it some times. not every one has that kinda cash laying around to swap both units.
    Aire Force A/C and heating
    Florida
    since 1988

Quote Originally Posted by biggi View Post
    tell that to the home owner that is paying it. normally it's a little old lady or couple on a fixed income. i do what i have to get them going on what they can pay. like i said it is never a first choice but you have to do it some times. not every one has that kinda cash laying around to swap both units.
    Read my post #7, that is what I would tell the homeowner or walk away. I would not now have to be recommending revamping a new AH to match an old outdoor that someone gave me a deal on.

I've done about a dozen dry units so far. Zero problems to date.

You say it worked fine the first week, and then started blowing room temperature, something else is wrong. If you could get a reccomendation from someone you know on a good AC guy (not a salesman) I would get a second opinion.

Thanks for all the responses. Installer is supposed to get back to me tomorrow with a package solution. Bottom line is that if installer should have known about incompatibility I would rather he take his unit back and I go with another installer. Any brand preference?

Quote Originally Posted by bennyp63 View Post
    Thanks for all the responses. Installer is supposed to get back to me tomorrow with a package solution. Bottom line is that if installer should have known about incompatibility I would rather he take his unit back and I go with another installer. Any brand preference?
    Don't blame the Trane brand because of a bad install!

As you have found out its not all about brand its about quality install and knowledge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast