Thread: Canadian HVAC Code Question

Post Likes

Angry

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:55 pm Post subject: HVAC and codes question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My mother recently bought a house. Shortly after she moved in, the son of a freind of her's (ya, one of THOSE deals) installed a new Hi eff furnace, for cost. He did a great job, except for anything he touched. #1, he vented it right over her walkway. #2, there is an opening window just 6-8" above the vents. #3 His vents are short, because of the walkway, and the moisture caused all her stucco in the vicinity to fall off. #4 he plumbed the condensate pump to a sink P-trap by drilling a hole in the side of the trap and siliconing in the vinyl drain hose. It has since fallen out twice. #5 The vinyl condensate line is zip tied so tightly to a 14/2 electrical wire that it can't drain anyway.

I know that this is not good, but whats done is done right?.....(i planned to fix it later). I wanted to raise holy hell, but she doesn't want to make waves.....

Recently, on a whim, she decided to have an HRV installed (from a big box store). The installer forked the install royally . #1. He suspended the unit right in the middle of her utility room. #2. He wired the unit to a plug that is only live when the utility room lights are on. #3 The HRV intake and exhaust is within inches of the exhaust from the furnace.

Obviously this is not good. I found out about the majority of the problems tonight while fixing the electrical for the HRV. But what is code? I need to get this fixed ASAP.

I'll be making some calls in the morning............

Post Likes
    10 ft distance from a furnace vent to any opening window or air intake is the national code in Canada.

permit req for replacement or installation of furnace is req
    an inspection is req

the condensate line should either go to a floor drain or to a properly installed trap eg put a dishwasher trap in

I would call your local gas safety branch or city inspection dept whom ever has jurstiction for further details. from the sounds of things you need to do so right away before any thing worse happens
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Post Likes
    Thanks for the reply.

The easiest way to remedy this situation, in my mind would be to move the venting for the furnace. Am I correct in assuming that it's against code to have the venting near a walkway? I can get it away from the window, but I'll have to get creative to get it away from the walkway. The furnace is in the basement, on the same wall as the walkway. Installer who replaced the mid efficiency furnace, took the path of least resistance and went straight out the wall. This bothered me before, but not so much as it does now with the intake of her HRV 6" or less away from the furnace exhaust.

Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada Occupation:Interprovincial Plumber, Commercial Gasfitter Interests:
    Post Likes
    Sorry Penguin, check the latest code.B149.1-05
    Vents shall not terminate within 12 inches of a door or window for inputs from 10,000 btuh to 100,000 btuh and 3 feet for inputs over 300,000.
    A vent shall not terminate above a sidewalk or paved driveway that is located between two single family dwellings and serves both dwellings.

A vent shall not terminate within 6 feet of a mechanical air supply inlet.(HRV)

Check the installation manual for vent termination lengths. Sounds more like bad stucco.

Was a permit pulled? No permit, maybe no insurance coverage.

Tell the box store that they can fix the problem before the inspector comes
    I love my job, but paydays Thursday

Post Likes
    The vent does exit the house over a sidewalk between two houses. I like the idea about telling the big orange box store that they can fix it before the inspector shows up.

I'm not sure about permits in either installation.

Thanks for the replies.

Post Likes
    what province/territory is this? hope tssa doesnt get wind of this "side work" if its in ON or NB.

anyone who is licensed for this work should now the code and work to its standards.
    Here's your sign...

Post Likes
    Thunder Bay, Ontario

Post Likes
    TSSA will eat the installers alive. TSSA website has their complaint line listed right under fuels safety. That phone number is every bad contractors worst nightmare. My class had a TSSA inspector visit yesterday, and those guys mean business.

Phone the big orange box store and tell them that your next call is to TSSA unless they fix the HRV. They'll move quick, cause TSSA could yank their contractors license for Ontario, and then the big orange store couldn't install anywhere here. (That would not be a bad thing).

As a side note, 149.1-05 has not been adopted as Code yet, however 149.1-00, which is the current Code, has identical regulations to the above stated ones I believe.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by darren f
    Thunder Bay, Ontario
    Call the TSSA, ask for a guy named Lalonde.
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Post Likes
    I'm on thier website now, looking for a number.

Thanks

Post Likes
    Hackers...BUSTED!

Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada Occupation:Interprovincial Plumber, Commercial Gasfitter Interests:
    Post Likes
    Remember,it must be a shared sidewalk on common property.
    I love my job, but paydays Thursday

Post Likes
    I just received an email from the TSSA. They sent a comprehensive checklist to check to see if it meets code. I'll print it out and run over to her house and see if it fails (it will, on at least 3 points). Then they will launch an investigation.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in