Thread: Growing Company

Growing Company

I started an HVAC company about 2 years ago and I am very pleased how everything has gone. I am just looking for some stories, advice, or whatever I can get. I work for a university as a regular employee full time and run my business the rest of the time. When I started my business it was just to make a little extra money, but has since turned into a full-time+ job. I am still working at the university, but not sure how much longer I can hang on and run a business. My name has gotten out there and I stay very busy, especially this time of year. I'd like to just hear how some of you guys got started and went from a one man show to a bigger, successful company. I have built a good reputation with my customers and would like to keep that going. I have worked hard to get to this point. I want to hire some help, but not sure if I am ready to take the plunge. I want to make sure I can keep an employee busy throughout the year. Let me hear your stories.

I am going to make a statement first, then answer. I personally am against guys who moonlight one job to start a business. If you wanna play in our pond, jump in and lets go. dont do it half assed. my reason for saying this is that it sends the wrong message to end users. thats enough of that.

now, if you want to grow, it takes balls. go in tomorrow, quit your job and hire a guy. the only way to grow a successful business is to do it fulltime. This will mean you have to work your tail off to be successful. you will have to go out selling and manage the employees. you cant do that from a fulltime job somewhere else. you will need to be able to manage men, job and finances. if you continue to work as a moonlighter, people will expect that, but also not be willing to pay for a real contractor. you need to figure out what it REALLY COSTS to be successful, and price accordingly. will you still get work doing so? or do you get work becsause you are cheap. there is a huuuge difference.

for me, I had lots of contacts, experience etc when I decided to go into biz. I made a point of not going after my customers from my old companies. I would only do biz with those who came to me after hearing I made the jump, I called none of them first. I worked my tail off for the first six months or so, then hired the best damn guy I could find and treat him well. we then went to the next best guy we could find.

I appreciate your response. I am licensed and insured. I am also competitive with my pricing. I have the same expenses as any other company minus employees. I don't have a cheap reputation, I have a good reputation for being honest and doing good work. I haven't taken any customers from past employers. I agree 100% with your response. I just want to make sure I can keep my employee(s) and myself busy throughout the year before I grow my balls too big.

Get your post count up to 30, and apply for pro member ship and access to the pro business and marketing forum.
    Last edited by beenthere; 08-25-2011 at 06:14 PM.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Ok, I will do that. Better get to posting.

the only way to find out if you will grow or die is to go for it. there is no sure fire way to be positive other than lots of hard work. if any business owner tells you its easy they are in a one horse town with no competition. kits if self help and busines know how will stack the odds in your favor though,

You need to have some good people which is the hardest thing in my opinion. Finding work is a challenge for the first few years. It is tempting to take all kinds of risks that you shouldn't, but then again if you are scared, you can easily become paralyzed.

If you can't find an employee you can trust, don't hire them is my advice.