Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confused

Hello all,

This is my first post here, and I am hoping for some help. I have a comfortmaker furnace, GUH series. Last winter it would intermittently shut down, usually on very cold nights. The blink code would be 6-blinks, meaning the condensate sensor was grounded.

I had just purchased my home, and under warranty the tech came out two or three times. By the time the tech would arrive, the problem would have been corrected (either I reset the furnace control panel with its switch, or by itself). All three times, the tech checked the condensate line/trap/sensor/etc, and could not find a problem! As spring arived, it happened less, so by summer I had forgotten, almsot assuming it was fixed.

Well, this november, it began happening again, and I had a different service company come out. They checked the line, trap, and it was clear. (Luckily, they came out when the furnace was actually still blinking). And even after checking it all and resetting, the code still came up. They had to physically detach either the sensor or the wire to get it to fire up. Im still waiting for him to get back to me, and I was hoping you could help me get soem sense of what's going on so the tech(s) don't go overboard (if its a bad wire, I dont want them to replace everything). In the meantime, he told me to just unplug the sensor when this happens, because the line is fine. I don't like this, but it gets heat in the house! Any ideas guys?

--Jim

Have them replace the sensor.
    " Kill a Commie for Mommy! "

- Colonel David Hackworth (1930-2005), Korean War Vet

I would guess it to have been installed around 1989. There was a problem with the sensor at that time and the slope of the pan inside causing this to happen. I have no manufacturer approved fix for it now or then and had to come up with my own which I will not go in detail about.

Call a Comfortmaker dealer and see what he knows about your problem. Good Luck

What's your serial number?

the trap may be clear but is the drain clear
    over time it may be plugged up with sedimant and letting the water drain to slow. have then check the main drain before the trap

Arrow

Wow, I didnt expect such a quick response. First off, I don't have the serial in front of me. I will post it when I get home tonight.

The furnace was originally installed in ~1991, and then replaced under warranty in 1993-94 (not sure if with the same model or not). The only records I have are a few receipts left in the house, so I don't know why it was replaced.

They already came out and changed the sensor, but it seems like the sensor is too sensitive.

Last winter I changed the thermostat from the old big-knob style to programmable. This was early on, so I don't know if that has anything to do with the problem (doubtful)

I did, however, have a hysteresis value of "2" meaning it is probably turning on/off too much. I changed that value to "4" and I had heat this morning. Not indicative of too much, but it was cold last night, and the problem is more frequent when its colder (and the furnace is working more)

The tech Im dealing with has some ideas that I will go over with him today. He's done some research as well, and even though I'm pretty competent about some of this stuff (electrical engineer), I'll leave it to a pro to do the final fix. Please keep the ideas coming, I'll get the S/N to you guys tonight.

--Jim

I only installed these for a short time but if I remember right(15 years ago) these furnaces came with this type sensor for only a short time and then went to pressure switches because of these problems. I only installed one furnace that had this type of sensor and the rest did not. There may be an update to add pressure switches and eliminate the sensor but you would need to check with a dealer to find out.

Smile Solution?

Well, it seems like an odd fix, but I just spoke with the tech. He said Comfortmaker had some engineering overkill on that model, and basically it has two sensors. The condensate sensor that is giving me trouble, and a pressure sensor/switch. He pretty much said to unplug the condensate sensor, and leave it up to the pressure sensor to handle any backups.

Does this make sense to you guys? He got the info from the factory/dealer, so I'm guessing the problem has happened before. I guess no newer models have the condensate sensor on there? I can't really complain--the tech seems like a good honest guy--he certainly isn't trying to do more work than necessary. So, unless I hear any reason to be hesitant, the sensor is going to be unplugged when I get home tonight.

Jim

There was a service bulliten I think on that furnace to move that sensor to the trap have the service man call the local distubitor. If this is the furnace I think it is it has a round trap in blower compartment.

I've heard the same thing, unplug the sensor.

Some info, sorry it took so long to get the specifics on the furnace:

Comfort Maker
    Model # GUH075A012CIN
    Serial # L924850739
    Manufacturer's # GUH075AECIN

I hope this info helps you guys get a good idea of whats going on. Thanks again for being there for a new homeowner--I certainly appreciate it.

DO NOT REMOVE THE SENSOR !! It will not fuction properly. There is a fix to relocate the sensor. Have your tech contact the local distributor for the fix. What part of Pittsburgh?

That unit (L92) should have been ok.

I recommend that you follow hvacprodmgr advice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast