Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Set on contractor, flipping coin on Amana vs Lennox?

I'm replacing a 14-year-old Bryant unit in our 2000sq ft Florida home (that still runs but is on its last legs) this summer and have decided on the contractor but still confused on which system to get.

The quotes are as follows for two stage compressors and variable speed air handlers:

1. $ after all rebates for 4.0 Ton 17.5 SEER Amana ASZC180481 with a AVPTC426016C air handler, new thermostat, all new lines, pad, etc

2. $ after all rebates for a 4.0 Ton 16 SEER Lennox Elite XP16-048ENH with CBX32MV048 air handler... same install as above.

The Amana is a slightly cheaper, slightly more efficient, and comes with a 10 year parts and labor warranty (10 year parts/1 year labor for Lennox).

I think both are excellent values and was wondering if anyone could steer me one way or another.

Also, it's a $ option to get an electronic air cleaner and UV light install... I've done a lot of research on this and I'm still on the fence about getting it or not. I had breathing problems in the past from a moldy air handler/blower and anything that would help keep the system a bit cleaner would be welcomed but maybe there's another area where the $ will be better spent.
    Last edited by beenthere; 08-24-2011 at 06:10 PM. Reason: price

I'm not sold on either electronic air cleaner or UV light. I'd put in a good media air cleaner like an Aprilaire basic model, Honeywell F100 or Trion Air Bear.

The Amana has much better warranty with 10 year labor but make sure it is the Amana Asure, not the dealer's own coverage which is just as good as your relationship with the dealer and how long he is around.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    I'm not sold on either electronic air cleaner or UV light. I'd put in a good media air cleaner like an Aprilaire basic model, Honeywell F100 or Trion Air Bear.

The Amana has much better warranty with 10 year labor but make sure it is the Amana Asure, not the dealer's own coverage which is just as good as your relationship with the dealer and how long he is around.
    It is Amana Asure - it's a promotion they're running and they throw it in for free (I just called in and asked). It seems like a great deal - between the power company rebate, tax incentive, and discount from a reputable installer - can't wait to have some dry air in the summer in FL.

The media air cleaner seems to be the best bang for the buck like you recommended...

Three things:

1. The SEER ratings are nominal. What are the actual ARI ratings for those match-ups? Ask your contractor.

2. The 10 year labor warranty is a money saver, for sure.

3. What thermostat are they putting in? Those Amana model numbers look like they are communicating units, so getting the Amana communicating stat might be really sweet.

BTW, your prices are going to vanish as soon as the mod sees them.
    Do wah diddy diddy dum diddy do

Quote Originally Posted by garya505 View Post
    Three things:

1. The SEER ratings are nominal. What are the actual ARI ratings for those match-ups? Ask your contractor.

2. The 10 year labor warranty is a money saver, for sure.

3. What thermostat are they putting in? Those Amana model numbers look like they are communicating units, so getting the Amana communicating stat might be really sweet.

BTW, your prices are going to vanish as soon as the mod sees them.

1. ARI-4431382 and ARI-3671445, respectively, are the only numbers I see on the sheets. I'm a little ignorant about what this means.
    2. For shizzle.
    3. Amana is getting a "Digital White Rodgers w/ touch screen, programmable, temp/humidity control" - that's what's on the proposal sheet. The Lennox is getting a "Honeywell programmable, temp/humidity control, auto changeover"

All of this also includes 2 free preventative maintenance calls (I guess good to make sure that the system is installed properly), a new pad, new wiring, etc... they can keep the water moccasin that's under our current condensor unit. They also have 12 months same as cash (helps since we're dropping cash on a lot of remodeling around the house right now).

EDIT: Sorry for posting prices... I tried to go edit them but it won't let me edit that post. Also, upon further investigation, it seems like the WR thermostat is the same one Amana sells as comfortnet... just a different name imprinted on it.
    Last edited by AlexB18; 08-24-2011 at 05:01 PM.

The W-R may look alike but it isn't the communicating stat and won't have the control & error messages of the communicating stat.

Correct me if wrong, but doesn't the Amana have lifetime complete outside unit replacement if comp. EVER fails to original owner? This would be the deciding factor for me! Heck, I used to be a Lennox dealer, but now Amana. Love their lifetime complete unit replacement warranties!! Also have great deals on the 10 yr. labor warranty and as mentioned, make sure it is the Assure from them and not some off breed "warranty" insurance company. It'll probably be their own Assure one. I've got a 15 SEER Amana in my own home and love it.

From www.ahridirectory.org:
    4431382 AMANA EER 12.50 SEER 17.50 HSPF 9.25
    3671445 LENNOX EER 12.50 SEER 16.00 HSPF 8.50

FWIW, the Lennox combo is listed as discontinued.

I'd go for the Amana and ask them to include the Amana/Goodman ComfortNET communicating thermostst, model CTK01. Yes, it's made by White-Rodgers but only works on Amana/Goodman ComfortNET equipment. They're pricey but IMO worth it on a nice system like that. See attached doc.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Do wah diddy diddy dum diddy do

Quote Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
    Correct me if wrong, but doesn't the Amana have lifetime complete outside unit replacement if comp. EVER fails to original owner? This would be the deciding factor for me! Heck, I used to be a Lennox dealer, but now Amana. Love their lifetime complete unit replacement warranties!! Also have great deals on the 10 yr. labor warranty and as mentioned, make sure it is the Assure from them and not some off breed "warranty" insurance company. It'll probably be their own Assure one. I've got a 15 SEER Amana in my own home and love it.
    Yup, that unit has the lifetime replacement warranty!
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

I'm not sure what the debate is here, really. Homeowners tend to get caught up too much in the brand they are purchasing, and each brand has different levels of quality (contractor, good, better, and best). From a technician's perspective, I would much rather work on an Amana than a Lennox, but that is just personal preference. At least in Pennsylvania, Amana and Trane are perceived as two of the best and most reliable brands, whereas the Lennox name carries a negative connotation. I'm sure it's different in all areas of the country. So, that said, take the better deal. Amana is a great brand since they were bought out years ago.

Call, I'm happy with Amana's lifetime complete unit replacement warranty because just hate to simply put a compressor in an 8 or 9 year old heat pump or AC knowing everything else is also that old. And since selling Amana, have had very few problems, and frankly have never replaced an entire unit. I think the "watchguard" control protects the compressor really well and prevents major burn outs. But it comes down to dealer, and warranty coverage in the end.

I am not sure what the exact differences btw Amana & Whirlpool, other than I believe Amana uses the 5mm SmarCoil technology in their high-end HP's and the Comfortnet communication system won't be available in the Whirlpools until fall, but they are both mfrd by Goodman and the Whirlpool Gold 14-18 SEERs have comparable limited lifetime warr to Amana.

http://www.whirlpoolhvac.com/pdfs/WSP-7839.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    The W-R may look alike but it isn't the communicating stat and won't have the control & error messages of the communicating stat.
    3rd after loonie n Gary. Get a true communicating stat.

4 ton on 2000 sf sounds big. You sure you have enough ductwork for 1600 cfm? Did they check current system static & airflow?
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast