Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I just bought a 6 year old house and have noticed the lights dim momentarily when the heat pump starts up. I called the EMC power company and they sent a crew out to check everything including in the meter base as a courtesy to me. They said they checked the voltage as well. They gave it a clean bill of health. The crew chief called me and said they had been called out once before by the previous owner and had found nothing wrong with their side of the power hookup. He did offer that he has the same problem in his own home. In my last house that was serviced by an NON EMC power company I have never had this problem. The house has two panel boxes a 200 and a 100. I have not looked at the hook up to see if the 100 is a sub panel. It may be. The wiring is overhead if that matters not under ground.

This was suggested to me so I would like to ask the HVAC pros if this could be the problem. I was told it might be the start-up capacitor and/or the system may be overcharged with freon. Someone also told me to check the grounding of the house. I do not mind paying for an HVAC tech. to look at the system if you all think it is money well spent. I would like to add that the lights dimming is very momentary and has not blown any breakers nor has it caused any issues that I know of to date.

Scroll compressors are more prone to dimimg lights then recips. most manufacturers of hvac equipment make a quick start kit available for just that reason. you will have to call a service tech so he can install the right size one.
    good luck

yes maybe not a good ground to the outside unit.
    you can have a tech come out and check your refrigerant charge, amp draw, ground to heat pump, breaker rating rating required for your heat pump and the disconnect box wiring, all wiring in outside unit.

I would recommend that you call a highly qualified Electrician to come and inspect your power distribution system!

There could be issues with your air conditioning system, but I would start with the power system FIRST!

When I run into this type of problem it's usually a power supply issue.

The Electrican I knew advised me that allot depended upon how far you were from the pole transformer.

Having said that My 3 ton scroll dimms the lights upon start up momenterialy too.
    As J said consult with a good electrican first!

in one house I had a radial arm saw and the lights dimmed upon start up 120V even though I ran 8 guage wire (cause I had it) to the plug from the panel (16ft run)

www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

All heat pumps should have hard start kits on them thats what I think.

Originally posted by dugfish
    All heat pumps should have hard start kits on them thats what I think.
    Even a scroll that has a crankcase heater installed?

did the power company check out the system neutral connections or ground at the pole and at your stack

answer to falltime

did the power company check out the system neutral connections or ground at the pole and at your stack

According to the crew chief they did check this out.

What blew my mind was the crew chief said his HVAC does the same thing at his house. I have never ever had this problem before. I am a bit worried.

Mine does as well, and many systems we install do the same thing. I don't think it is anything to be overly worried about. At least I know when the heatpump is kicking in. LOL
    "Go big or Go Home"

Every compressor should have a hard start kit. Even scrolls wtih crankcase heaters. Reason is without a start kit too much stress is put on the run winding during start up.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Hard Start Kit?

What is a Hard Start Kit? What is a Quick Start Kit? Is this something extra or is usually included in the HP?

Doug

Re: answer to falltime

Originally posted by west_seth

According to the crew chief they did check this out.

What blew my mind was the crew chief said his HVAC does the same thing at his house. I have never ever had this problem before. I am a bit worried.

The dimming lights would not be a ground or neutral problem, since they are related to the compressor starting.
    I am an electrician and I will tell you not to worry about it. Mine has been doing it for over ten years. You probably have a long run of wiring to the outdoor unit ( from the panelbox ) and you are getting a small voltage loss during compressor start-up. A hard-start kit could be of slight benefit, but may not eliminate the dimming lights. The only way I know of to be sure to eliminate it is to run larger wire from panelbox to outdoor unit.

Richard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast