Hi to all! I sure could use some input about the quality of the current line of Amana High Efficiency, 2-stage furnaces. Are these units generally comparable in quality to a Bryant or a Lennox brand furnance? I'm trying to get a feeling as to where these higher level, Amana brand furances fit in. In other words, where does Amana fall in the reputation/quality pecking order. Just for clarity here....I'm NOT referring to any Goodman brand furnace, but the Amana line. (I hope the Goodman people haven't been cheapening the Amana units, since their purchase of the company!). Please advise. Thanks, John in Wisconsin

P.S. We're about to wind up our furnace shopping, and appreciate the help on Amana input.

Amana furnaces in my opinion are the very best on the market. No other manufacturer has a heat exchanger that can compare. I have been installing them for 15 years and never had any real issues with any of them. I have also never had one with a failed heat exchanger and never expect to find one.

They are as quiet as any other except maybe the Lennox G60/G61 but I don't like the Lennox cheap clamshell heat exchanger. To be fair I don't like any clamshell heat exchanger they are all cheap that’s why they build them.

The Amana has very good controls and the new igniter is almost indestructible. The Lennox, Trane and Carrier igniters are also almost indestructible.

In short any top of the line furnace properly installed and properly m maintained will provide years of trouble free comfort.

As to Goodman cheapening the Amana products quiet the opposite has happened Goodman has become an excellent product and their furnace to me is second only to Amana.

I couldn't have stated it better
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Classical, did RoBo slide some $ your way ?

I know of 1 Amana unit the had a failed Ht Exgr.
    Local Dealer isn't around anymore, so not many units here now. They've been changed out by Lennox.
    If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

Hey Robo is there a way you can relay the need for a low Btu gas pack in the goodman line say 50k.

Originally posted by Lifer
    Hey Robo is there a way you can relay the need for a low Btu gas pack in the goodman line say 50k.
    Would need to prove demographic need for thousands of any sizing need to develope a product model.

Is there anything you don't like about the PGB series? There is the PGB024050-1 two ton with 50K heating and the PGB030050-1 two and a half ton with 50K heating; http://securenet.goodmanmfg.com/pdf/...Lit/SS-190.PDF

The 13 and 14 SEER versions should be hitting the warehouses soon.

[Edited by RoBoTeq on 11-29-2005 at 11:07 PM]

Here on the coast of N.C. there is little heat load and high cooling loads. The last gas pack I installed was around this time last year. Then I installed a GPG1230070 Johnstone supply told me that these were the new modle.

Originally posted by Lifer
    Here on the coast of N.C. there is little heat load and high cooling loads. The last gas pack I installed was around this time last year. Then I installed a GPG1230070 Johnstone supply told me that these were the new modle.
    Just sold one of the old PGB units that was still in stock, so was still on my mind.

The GPG10 and GPG12 series both have 2 ton cooling with 50K heating but the new GPG13 model that should be available now if not soon is available in 2, 2-1/2 and 3 ton models with 45K heating; http://securenet.goodmanmfg.com/pdf/...t/SS-GPG13.PDF

[Edited by RoBoTeq on 11-29-2005 at 11:50 PM]