Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 19

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    67

    Digital Manifold Gauges - Fieldpiece SMAN or Testo 5 Series

    I need one of these digital gauges so I can get better at my job.

    Initially I was looking at the Fieldpiece, but now I'm leaning toward the Testo because it's smaller and comes with a hard case.

    What's your guys take on them? Or any other brand?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    425
    Digi Cool 1250. These are the best IMO. Very accurate and can take a beating. You also use your own manifold, which I also prefer. Oh, and great support.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    In the work truck
    Posts
    2,997
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=906562

    This is why I created this thread...
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

    Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

    "Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    In a boiler room
    Posts
    7,067
    My DC 1250 temp probes have been acting up so I'm back to the testo 550 until I get them fixed.

    I really miss the bar graph more than I thought I would. It is very helpful.

    One thing I hate about DC is they don't read out the actual temps the clamps are seeing. Why couldn't they have programmed the display differently?

    Except for the bar graph the testo 550 display is worlds ahead of the DC.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,545
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    My DC 1250 temp probes have been acting up so I'm back to the testo 550 until I get them fixed.

    I really miss the bar graph more than I thought I would. It is very helpful.

    One thing I hate about DC is they don't read out the actual temps the clamps are seeing. Why couldn't they have programmed the display differently?

    Except for the bar graph the testo 550 display is worlds ahead of the DC.
    The bar graph is an awesome feature. Shows you things you would miss otherwise.

    The AK-900 shows ALL information on the same screen. SH/SC, line temps, pressures and sat temps, delta T.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    In a boiler room
    Posts
    7,067
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    The bar graph is an awesome feature. Shows you things you would miss otherwise.

    The AK-900 shows ALL information on the same screen. SH/SC, line temps, pressures and sat temps, delta T.
    That's a step in the right direction. I should have just stuck with the 550 until the AK came out and not spent my money on the 1250.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,545
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    That's a step in the right direction. I should have just stuck with the 550 until the AK came out and not spent my money on the 1250.
    Guarantee you could sell that 1250 and get enough back to buy an AK and a nice dinner.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    The bar graph is an awesome feature. Shows you things you would miss otherwise.

    The AK-900 shows ALL information on the same screen. SH/SC, line temps, pressures and sat temps, delta T.
    What does that bar graph show you?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Location:Raleigh NC
    Posts
    9,612
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaseAir View Post
    What does that bar graph show you?
    real time pressure change. Spot TXV (and other) issues that you could see. Fastest responds time out there.


    see the Video on their web site
    http://digi-cool.com/
    If you help others then you are a Success

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    In a boiler room
    Posts
    7,067
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaseAir View Post
    What does that bar graph show you?
    JP can probably explain it better but it really does a great job of showing where the pressure is trending even before the numbers update.

    Its like being able to watch a needle swing on an analog but in tenths of a psi.

    Its awsome! If you get used to it you won't want to go back to anything else.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,545
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaseAir View Post
    What does that bar graph show you?
    Bar graph illustrated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    28
    Sman3 all the way. I had that thing out in the pouring rain yesterday and nit a bit of problem. That thing is the best thing since sliced bread, subcool, superheat, all right there all you have to do is look at it. It also has a built in vacuum guage which is cool to cross-reference your other vacuum guage with it. One of the theremocouples broke like the second day but I took it right back to Johnstone and they gave me two new ones for free, no questions asked. So other than that it has been great. I am also really rough on equipment and have already dropped it a couple of times and it rocks on. Long live the sman3

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Litchfield,Il
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by seanhoang View Post
    I need one of these digital gauges so I can get better at my job.

    Initially I was looking at the Fieldpiece, but now I'm leaning toward the Testo because it's smaller and comes with a hard case.

    What's your guys take on them? Or any other brand?
    My -- I love the Testo line of test equipment and i am really happy with their products! If you are going to be working on alot of refrigeration and your in and out of freezers get the DIGI cools. If not then testo or Sman will do the trick. What ever of the three you choose you will be fine. JB and Yellow Jacket are over priced for their features.
    If your not getting the results you desire then change. People change from either desperation or inspiration.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event