Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diesel in an oil furnace?

Post Likes
    I need a temporary fix till i get my gas meter installed.

I heard that Diesel and furnace oil are just about the same? Would i be able to use Diesel fuel from a gas station to fill up my furnace's oil tank on a temporary basis?

I want to make 100% sure before attempting this? Its not going to cause a fire/explosion right?

The more confirmations i get, the better...thanks for posting.

Post Likes
    # 2 diesel and heating oil are the same, except for the color

paul

Post Likes
    Is #2 diesel what i can get at the gas station?

Post Likes
    yes its perfectly ok just be sure to use a dedicated can, preferably a blue one to reduce chances of getting anything other than no 2 oil in your tank, gas will kill.
    diesel is probably cleaner than the oil ya have been getting, it will just cost you a fortune in road use taxes
    be carefull that there is nothing but oil in the can

Post Likes
    Originally posted by captainrat
    yes its perfectly ok just be sure to use a dedicated can, preferably a blue one to reduce chances of getting anything other than no 2 oil in your tank, gas will kill.
    diesel is probably cleaner than the oil ya have been getting, it will just cost you a fortune in road use taxes
    be carefull that there is nothing but oil in the can
    Yeah, thanks, that would be alright, ill be buying a new can to use...Its just a temporary fix, weather is getting cold and i need heat...just waiting until i get my NG furnace installed.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by thesober
    I need a temporary fix till i get my gas meter installed.

I heard that Diesel and furnace oil are just about the same? Would i be able to use Diesel fuel from a gas station to fill up my furnace's oil tank on a temporary basis?

I want to make 100% sure before attempting this? Its not going to cause a fire/explosion right?

The more confirmations i get, the better...thanks for posting.

No problem...they are the same. I've done it numerous times when the %$!!% tank went empty during the first cold spell and I brain-farted and forgot to fill it up.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Post Likes

You can do it

I'm a factory rep for boilers with Becket, Carlin, Wayne, Heat-Wise, and Riello burners mounted on them. These guys are all telling you the right thing.

Road use fuel is cleaner, and won't gel as fast when it gets VERY cold. It has the same BTU content.

It's a different color so the government can tell that the road use tax has or hasn't been paid on it.

Noel

Post Likes
    I'm not suggesting that you do it but...

My sister in law ran out of oil one cold night a couple of years ago w/ little kids in the house. I hooked her up to run out of a 5 gallon diesel can instead of out of her tank. She ran that way for a few days until her next paycheck.
    Ryan
    Maintenance Guy
    -----------------
    naysayer, skeptic, conspiracy theorist

Post Likes
    I would check to see if you could get some offroad fuel instead. It's the exact same thing as #2, but dyed red and you don't pay road tax's on it. Most big truck stops should have it.

Might save you a few bucks.

Post Likes
    Yes you can. Another confirmation.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by amickracing
    I would check to see if you could get some offroad fuel instead. It's the exact same thing as #2, but dyed red and you don't pay road tax's on it. Most big truck stops should have it.

Might save you a few bucks.

off road deisel would be the way to go about 20 cents a gallon cheaper here. on the flip side of that i have been running heating oil in a deisel tractor for the last 2 years with no problems. filter just gets dirty a little faster.

Post Likes
    why do you want to lose all those btu's by switching to ng? it gonna cost you almost 30% more on ng. at least you're not on lp.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by joeoilman
    why do you want to lose all those btu's by switching to ng? it gonna cost you almost 30% more on ng. at least you're not on lp.
    My oil furnace and tank are getting really old, at least 30+ years. Its a very low efficiency, im doing the switch to NG high efficiency furnace when i get the meter installed. I think its about time too, been wanting to do this change for a long time, everyone is on NG, i think im the only one on my street with the oiltanker coming to fill my tank...

Post Likes
    30 yr old oil system?....just broke in if it's a quality unit. Changing over to gas isn't as great as the gas companies tell ya. Good luck.

Post Likes
    Yet another ok, diesel is fine to use.

Is your new gas furnace 2 stage.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by beenthere
    Yet another ok, diesel is fine to use.

Is your new gas furnace 2 stage.
    Excellent, thank you all for posting.

Yes, im giong to get a hiefficiency 2 stage furnace, i was thinking about the variable speed to save on electricity but i dont really turn on the fan year round, only when the heat or AC is on.

Post Likes
    If you have central A/C, or are considering addind it some time later, then the VS is a good investment.

Post Likes
    personally I don't like oil furnaces would have nat gas or propane any day

yse you can use desiel for heating oil
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Post Likes
    #2 and diesel are very similar(almost identical). Diesel is generally lower in sulphur and slightly cleaner. Putting #2 in a vehicle is questionable due to sulphur content (varies according to type of vehicle).

Putting diesel throught a furnace is fine. Once again, make sure it's only diesel. Gasoline or other types of oil could go boom.

Using farmers or off-road diesel is a good idea. As mentioned above, using a can of diesel to get a customer through a bad spot, or empty tank for whatever reason, is a common trick around here.

TR23

Post Likes
    #2 is what is used almost exclusively in vehicles, #1 being used in colder climates and during winter (or winterblend #2). I can't say for sure but I think heating oil is #4... or something like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in