+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Refrigerated Compressed Air Dryers

Post Likes

Hmm Refrigerated Compressed Air Dryers

Does any one out there work on or specialize in industrial compressed air refrigerated dryers? I have worked for a compressor service company for 26 years. The last five I have specialized in air dryers along with another co worker with 30 years experience. It is full time 365 days a year for us. I have seen no other mention on this forum regarding this large industry. Sullair, Ingersol Rand, Hankison,Great Lakes, Pal, Donaldson, etc...

Post Likes
    I do some compressed air work also but we have all dessicant dryers.IR and zeks dryers. IR and Gardner Denver screw compressors.

Post Likes
    I worked for a Gardner Denver distributor back in 1985. I still work on them occasionally. I work on desiccant dryers often. Desiccant dryers provide a much lower dew point than refrigerated dryers. Desiccant -40F to -100F. Refrigerated around +37F. Our desiccant applications are usually for customers that have compressed air piping and uses in cold spaces or outdoor uses in the winter when ambient temps are below +37F

Post Likes
    The contractor I work for does work on industrial air compressors and driers. It's an interesting field for sure. Sometimes a welcomed break from the grind of the ac world.

Edna Bay, Alaska Highest concentration of black bears in the US
    Post Likes
    I've got a few that I work on. The problem is the big noisy air compressors in the same room. Even with ear plugs I feel the vibrations the rest of the day.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.phil View Post
    I've got a few that I work on. The problem is the big noisy air compressors in the same room. Even with ear plugs I feel the vibrations the rest of the day.
    No that's your hand in your pocket... Couldn't resist.

I've just worked on the smaller ones for pneumatic control systems. Most of them like 2' cubed.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    My 5 yr old son "Dad, Siri is not very smart when there's no internet."

Post Likes

air dryers

We do in Canada, company called Canadian Air Dryer Services...it is a specialized industry and there are few companies that specialize in it...its also a hard industry to develop as most people ignore them until they break down and then they call local compressor house

Post Likes
    Ok, air dryer guys. Question of adjusting a new txv. I replaced a compressor in a Pneumatech ad-1000 today. Reportedly it has been changed twice before. Mechanical problem, it was running but not pumping. After changeout, check to see why it failed, and find it flooding the comp. I can tell the power element on both the txv, and the hot gas valve have been changed in the past. A red tag on the txv warns against adjusting it. It wants you to order an oem. The book says factory set at 8-10 deg. superheat. Taking into account the hot gas pressure control, how do I adjust the txv? Both condenser fans are pressure controled. Do I try to control the load, or run it wide open? I should mention the hot gas enters right after the txv. I think.

Post Likes

Using the PT Chart

Ok, air dryer guys. Question of adjusting a new txv. I replaced a compressor in a Pneumatech ad-1000 today. Reportedly it has been changed twice before. Mechanical problem, it was running but not pumping. After changeout, check to see why it failed, and find it flooding the comp. I can tell the power element on both the txv, and the hot gas valve have been changed in the past. A red tag on the txv warns against adjusting it. It wants you to order an oem. The book says factory set at 8-10 deg. superheat. Taking into account the hot gas pressure control, how do I adjust the txv? Both condenser fans are pressure controled. Do I try to control the load, or run it wide open? I should mention the hot gas enters right after the txv. I think.
    The first thing I'd do is verify the sensing bulb is clean, placed correctly on the suction line, and that it's responding correctly <--(when dryer is operating). I'd do this by removing it, sanding the line and bulb and then reattaching it at the 4 or 8 o'clock position.

Given your TXV is adjustable, you can remove the nut from the bottom of the valve. There you'll see a superheat (SH) adjustment stem. Measuring SH, adjust the stem approximately 1/3 to 1/2 turn at a time.
    Wait at least 3-5 minutes (minimum) to see the SH lows/highs and to prevent flood-back.

The hot gas desuperheating valve is fairly common in refrigeration apps requiring dehumidifcation even during low-load conditions (dryers). Is it pressure or temp responsive?

Regarding your condenser fans, maintain the condenser between 98 - 122 degrees, roughly. (Not sure what refrigerant your using). Ex. R-22 Fan Cycle Controller cut-in would be 267 psi and cut-out would be 190 psi.

Post Likes
    On refrigerated air dryers you should always set hot gas bypass valve with no load. The valve is there to prevent low suction and freezing, depending on refrigerant, presuming Pneumatech i think uses R-22 on that size dryer. Suction should be set to about 65-67 psig. The tx valves on dryers should be factory set, we sometimes set superheat a little lower on these machines. I would say that flooding would probably be caused more by faulty hot gas valve...

11. Likes Galt liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pbulldog View Post
    On refrigerated air dryers you should always set hot gas bypass valve with no load. The valve is there to prevent low suction and freezing, depending on refrigerant, presuming Pneumatech i think uses R-22 on that size dryer. Suction should be set to about 65-67 psig. The tx valves on dryers should be factory set, we sometimes set superheat a little lower on these machines. I would say that flooding would probably be caused more by faulty hot gas valve...
    That's what's bugging me. Txv is suposed to be factory set. I think it is the txv, because the pressure is in the green.

Post Likes
    what is your suction pressure? is hot gas vavle opening? are fans coming on? is it OEM txv..we have used none oem valves and not had any problems with the way the are regulating flow..does dryer have control board with alarms and set points?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pbulldog View Post
    what is your suction pressure? is hot gas vavle opening? are fans coming on? is it OEM txv..we have used none oem valves and not had any problems with the way the are regulating flow..does dryer have control board with alarms and set points?
    Suction pressure is 68psi. Like I said both power elements on the txv and the hot gas valve, but not the bodies, have been replaced, along with two compressors. By another co. Now I need to get to the bottom of it. Maybe I'm overthinking this. I can shut off the compressed air flow to double check the hg valve.

Post Likes
    has heat exchanger froze up? This hot gas valve is solenoid style and controlled from board?

Post Likes
    No solenoid, just a valve with an equalizer. Didn't let it run long enough to freeze the evap. Compressor was flooding so bad I shut it off. Compressed air temp was 105f. This unit was added to the system when capacity was added. System has three 200hp and a 150hp compressor. The main dryer is a 3300.

Post Likes
    Ok, posting in this section about an Arrow Pneumatics Compressed Air Dryer (that I put in Refrigeration and Ice Making). I have a customer who has this brand air dryer. It has not been used in several years and they need to get it operational. I did find that both condenser fan motors are defective and have them ordered. The condensing unit itself is a Copeland FJAM-A30Z-TFD-015. The Arrow Pneumatics name plate has no information imprinted on it. Through their website, I received a reply that the unit is over 15 years old, that they are no longer in that side of the business, and that they have no information available. There is not any form of wiring diagram anywhere on the unit, except for the generic condensing unit diagram in it's control box. This diagram only pertains to the condensing unit and not the incorporation of it into the air dryer. Any help with service info, wiring diagram, etc would be appreciated.

Post Likes
    I am attaching a picture of a device in this air dryer that I posted about in the previous post. It is a water "dump" valve or sensor of some kind. As can be seen there is a small control cable broken off the device. It has three small #22+/- wires in the cable. The water out connection is on the opposite side of the device from where this cable is broken off from. Does anyone have information at the what this device is, it's function and is there a replacement available?[IMG]Arrow Air Dryer.jpg[/IMG] Sorry, picture didn't attach.
    Last edited by Bill Lee; 03-31-2017 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Picture didn't attach

Post Likes
    Bill - create a new thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Yes, please create a new thread that is specific to you and your equipment.

Post Likes
    2 things very important a constant head pressure so fan cycling not a great idea . You would be better to install a speed drive on the condensor fans. This is good because it maintains a constant liquid line pressure .Because the load varies so greatly based on the cfm going through the drier a balanced port valve is desireable due to the greatly varying loads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in