Earthquake in MD ?? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 27 to 39 of 39
  1. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Pluto
    Posts
    983
    Lord I apologize. I'll stop jumping up and down now.
    Not as lean, not as mean, but I'm still a hardcore, ass-kicking, hard charging Marine! Oohrah!

  2. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    6,930
    felt it out on the south shore of Long Island at 2PM slight rumble
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

  3. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Connectitaxed
    Posts
    2,644
    I was told by some people here in CT that they felt it. I felt nothing at all in the same area. Paranoia ,I think. I guess growing up in California has made me not feel these little baby tremors?!? If stuff doesn't fall off the shelves or crack the pavement it is not worth a mention.

  4. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Laurel, MD
    Posts
    1,472
    Had two earthquake related service calls today. One said the unit won't shut off since the earthquake and the other one said the unit won't come on since the earthquake.

  5. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Mount Airy, MD
    Posts
    7,281
    Quote Originally Posted by pbharvey View Post
    Had two earthquake related service calls today. One said the unit won't shut off since the earthquake and the other one said the unit won't come on since the earthquake.
    I got to thinking about that since the earthquake and got to wondering how many coils got popped from shaking into screws, etc....

    Could be good for business overall??

  6. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Mount Airy, MD
    Posts
    7,281
    No BS, my Dad just called from Lake Anna, AC dead since the quake

    Sounds like the blower and unrelated, but silly me for thinking about it

  7. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    7,744
    Lines get broken in the walls and let's all the freezone out or short in the low voltage control wires from getting pinched. Typically has to do with foundation or wall cracking and pinching/breaking a line/wire or something above got virbrated down on top of the condensing unit. typically no damage hardly ever done to anything inside.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

  8. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Laurel, MD
    Posts
    1,472
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Worthington View Post

    Could be good for business overall??

    So far today I've received two email advertisements from vendors for the impending hurricane. One for rain suits and one for generators.

    Natural disasters are good for business. Now if they would just destroy all the foreclosed houses and get them off the market things might turn around a little.

  9. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,923
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Worthington View Post
    I got to thinking about that since the earthquake and got to wondering how many coils got popped from shaking into screws, etc....

    Could be good for business overall??
    I was wondering if the quake could affect geothermal ground loops. The quake is over 3 miles below the surface, but the ground at the surface can move.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  10. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    7,744
    Seattle has had 4 or 5 earthquakes around here since I've been here and I have my share of ground loop customers. None have ever been damaged but I think that is because the earth is so loose...we're almost at sea level.

    Back there you guys have hard clay so I would think that would make a difference. And that's why the earthquake was felt so far away.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

  11. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Laurel, MD
    Posts
    1,472
    I was up at 1:00 this morning when the 4.5 happened. It shook my chair. Sounded like a big gust of wind was hitting the house; the siding and windows made a popping sound. Weird that the dog slept through it, he flipped out over the 5.8 one.

  12. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,923
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaT View Post
    Seattle has had 4 or 5 earthquakes around here since I've been here and I have my share of ground loop customers. None have ever been damaged but I think that is because the earth is so loose...we're almost at sea level.

    Back there you guys have hard clay so I would think that would make a difference. And that's why the earthquake was felt so far away.
    Actually, the ground in the Mid-Atlantic area is quite diverse. From sandy soil closer to the shores to clay and limestone to shale rock.

    From what I am understanding, the East Coast is on very large plates and that the earth movements that are the quakes occur below these plates, which is why the movement is so spread out.

    Liberals in Washington are already referring to it as Bush's Fault.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  13. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,923
    Quote Originally Posted by pbharvey View Post
    I was up at 1:00 this morning when the 4.5 happened. It shook my chair. Sounded like a big gust of wind was hitting the house; the siding and windows made a popping sound. Weird that the dog slept through it, he flipped out over the 5.8 one.
    I didn't even know we had another one. Did I survive?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event