Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Right now we've discovered in the middle of a snow storm at midnight that we've run out of LP in our 1000 gallon tank.
    Do we need to be concerned of any safety issues concerning our LP furnace, LP water heaters, and LP stove?

It seems that the furnace is trying to cycle on, but is not able to. Do we need to be concerned about something bad happening during the night?

Do we need to bleed the lines once we get LP?

Any recommendations (besides keeping a closer eye on the level in our tank!)

Thanks.

SF in Iowa

Shut the furnace off, it doesn't need to cycle and possibly cause a failure due to cycling all night!
    (Will depend on furnace model)

Water heater is more than likely a pilot model that will shut off due to a thermocouple safety.

The cook stove however (if older) could have pilots that need to be re-lit after the LP tank gets filled. This is very important, as they will flow gas even if NOT lit!!!

The LP Company should (liability wise) come in to light and check the connected appliances.

Our LP company will come and charge you $50 to pressure test you propane line for leaks, (if it is your fault it ran empy because you didn't tell them to keep it filled) before they will fill your tank. They won't light your pilots either.

Look for sooting in the burner areas and flue ways.

Have a low pressure cut off switch installed in your gas line to prevent furnace damage due to low pressure issues with your LP supply.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Can't think of any safety issues other than what robo mentioned but you will definetly have to bleed the gas lines in order to light the pilots. Don't understand why the lines would have to be pressure tested as Lakeman says, if they were not leaking before I don't see how they could be leaking now. Not much of a service if they want 50 bucks to pressure test lines (for no reason) and then won't light your pilots. Sounds like a dumb ass LP company.
    "Go big or Go Home"

Originally posted by lakeman1234
    Our LP company will come and charge you $XX to pressure test you propane line for leaks, (if it is your fault it ran empy because you didn't tell them to keep it filled) before they will fill your tank. They won't light your pilots either.
    Then, I sure hope they leave the tank off and tell them to call a service company.

I have never heard of an LP Company that wouldn't light pilots.

Seems like a better way to make XX bucks. LOL

All companies that I have ever worked for we are required to do a leak check after a run out due to liability. If we fill your tank after a runout and your house blows up, who do you think the lawyers will come after?
    If you are on automatic delivery, then no charge and a sincere apology and light the pilots for free. And if you are really inconvenienced we'll probably credit your account $50.00.
    But if you are not on auto delivery and only call whenever you want a delivery and runout before we get there, then we charge to come out after hours or out delivery route. And yes we charge a service fee to do a leak check.
    I would rather be home with my family after hours than at your house too.

I have never seen any problems with sooting due to runout. Sounds pretty lame.

[Edited by oil lp man on 11-29-2005 at 09:23 PM]

Originally posted by oil lp man
    All companies that I have ever worked for we are required to do a leak check after a run out due to liability. If we fill your tank after a runout and your house blows up, who do you think the lawyers will come after?
    If you are on automatic delivery, then no charge and a sincere apology and light the pilots for free. And if you are really inconvenienced we'll probably credit your account $50.00.
    But if you are not on auto delivery and only call whenever you want a delivery and runout before we get there, then we charge to come out after hours or out delivery route. And yes we charge a service fee to do a leak check.
    I would rather be home with my family after hours than at your house too.

I have never seen any problems with sooting due to runout. Sounds pretty lame.
    We do a leak check every time a gas meter is turned on. As a LP dealer, I guess you wouldn't know why tank is empty unless you did leak test. Could have been DIYer adding pipe with no cap or plug installed.

>>>edit... fixed post

[Edited by jultzya on 11-29-2005 at 11:16 PM]

Well call me lame, but the fact is that when LP furnaces operate on low pressure, such as they do when running out of gas, they soot. I have had many instances of low pressure LP causing severe problems with sooting.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    Well call me lame, but the fact is that when LP furnaces operate on low pressure, such as they do when running out of gas, they soot. I have had many instances of low pressure LP causing severe problems with sooting.
    Pretty much nailed it. low gas pressure, low venturi velocity, soot

I knew this was coming...

Originally posted by jultzya
    I knew this was coming...
    Not that I really want to associate myself with the cheese steak ho , but Robin's dead nuts on this one. We don't put low pressure c/o switches in the package for extra weight.

Originally posted by mike3
    Could have been DIYer adding pipe with no cap or plug installed.
    That'd be BAD!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast