Hi, Gang. Well, the previous posts have helped me narrow down our replacement furnaces selection. We will be using a two furnace set-up (have had two furnaces since the house was built 25 years ago, and like that set-up.) Our new unit #1 will be high efficiency, two-stage, with multiple speed blower(but not variable speed). The second furnace also handles the air conditioning for the house, but doesn't run very often in the heating mode during the winter. For furnace #2, we're going with 80% efficiency, single-stage, with multiple speed blower (but not variable speed).

I have quotes from the local Lennox dealer and from the Bryant dealer. The Bryant units give me a longer parts and labor warranty, and their high efficiency unit is 93% vs. 90% percent for the Lennox. I also think the Bryant furnaces might be quieter, but am not certain of this. However, the Lennox two-furnace set-up would be about $800 cheaper than the Bryant two-furnace installation.

Any ideas on why the big difference in pricing, since the furnace specs are largely "apples to apples"? Are there any other factors to consider between these two brands, something I'm missing like overall quality or frequency of repair or whatever? I'd appreciate any input that would help me make a final decision. Thanks, John in Wisconsin

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    The installed price has little to do with the cost of one brand versus another ,if you find a great contractor.

Better contractor's realize that all they really have to sell is labor,and their overhead is more than lesser contractors,due to trainong,benefits ,after hours service,etc..

If they realize they really only have labor to sell,they charge by the hours of the install ,to cover overhead and resonable profit,so installed cost between brands is the actual difference in wholesale cost between brands.

Rely to "Dash"

Hello Dash, and thanks for taking the time to respond. I hear what you are saying in your post above. However, in the case of my local Lennox and Bryant dealers, I have to rate both as "top notch". Both dealers have been around for years, both have substantial sales and service operations, and both have good reputations from the checking I've done. I would be comfortable with either dealer. In MY post, I was really trying to get input as to quality or frequency of repair differences between the comparable Lennox and Bryant furnaces I've been quoted on. John in Wisconsin

lennox g61mp furnaces 94.1% afue. nice furnace, install them all the time. not familiar with bryants latest

Quality and repair fequencey are just going to be opinions and likely biased based on personal experience.

We may have more failures of brand A ,but how many are installed in our area,how many failures are due to the install or lack of maintainece,etc.,etc.??

I'd look at getting VS indoor fan,regardless of the brand,I'd also look at the Evolution/Infinity control.Try a search on this site to leaqrn more.

Why did you decide against a VS fan??

Dash-Variable speed fan issue

Dash, we decided against a variable speed blower on either furnace for the following reasons: Both furnaces share a common cold air return from throughout the house, and the furances are within 16" of each other. The thought from both local vendors and from this board (my earlier post) was that ongoing static pressure changes related to both of these factors could drive a variable speed blower nuts. Maybe not...but the concensus opinion was "why risk it". John in Wisconsin

Thanks,I see the concern,but I think I mentioned in another thread,the static is still changing with PSC motors,and so is the airflow,which can cause problems..

I guess you have no way to separate the returns.