Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Turbo Torch Issue

Hey guys, I looked at some old threads regarding the turbo torch vs. an oxy/acy rig. I started with a oxy/acy rig and switched over to a TT, I liked it initially. Less stuff to carry around, but today I had trouble with it trying to braze a 3/4" line on a condenser swap. It doesn't seem to be burning right, more yellow flame than blue. I was just wondering if anybody else has had this problem with their TT and what it turned out to be. I figure it could only be one of 2 things, torch head or the regulator.

could be crud in the tip, did you try a different tip in it?

Yeah, something is clogged in there. Adjust reg all the way in, try a new tip, make sure no hose leaks either.
    I been using a tt for over 35 years, with just 2 tips you can do almost anything.
    Plus ya never overheat the copper or burn holes in it.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Drop of solder or braze got in the tip.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Thanks for all the tips guys, I went and seen my local gas supplier about it today. They don't stock parts for them, I also went to airgas to check with them. They didn't have the replacement tips either, only the complete set which was over 300 bucks. I went ahead and took the orifice out of it and blew it and the tip out. I put it back together and it seems to be burning much better now. I guess the real test will be on the next job I do when I need it. I think that I still need to order another tip for it for a backup and the one I have seems fairly large. I don't know that it would be good for smaller jobs, the one I have now is an A-11. What would you guys recommend?

Check the venturis at the bottom, if they get clogged it can cause problems.

Quote Originally Posted by stonewallred View Post
    Check the venturis at the bottom, if they get clogged it can cause problems.
    Yeah, I blew all that out and it seems to be burning much better now. I would still like to get one more tip for it, maybe a little bit smaller one. I just don't know what size I should get.

Quote Originally Posted by uzzo2 View Post
    Yeah, I blew all that out and it seems to be burning much better now. I would still like to get one more tip for it, maybe a little bit smaller one. I just don't know what size I should get.
    Get what works.
    That is the only thing I can say.
    I use TT for general brazing, except for stuff smaller than 1/4" or larger than 7/8".

Quote Originally Posted by stonewallred View Post
    Get what works.
    That is the only thing I can say.
    I use TT for general brazing, except for stuff smaller than 1/4" or larger than 7/8".
    The guy I talked to at airgas today said that the tip that I have is supposed to be good for up to 2.5 or 3 inches I think he told me. I found that a little hard to believe, but he had his TT spec booklet out so I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by uzzo2 View Post
    The guy I talked to at airgas today said that the tip that I have is supposed to be good for up to 2.5 or 3 inches I think he told me. I found that a little hard to believe, but he had his TT spec booklet out so I don't know.
    Yea if you were willing to wait 10 mins for it to heat up lol. I mostly use Oxy/ acy. but my Turbo Torch tips consist of A-3, A-11, A-15. THe 3 is for soldering. The 11 is the smallest I use for brazing.

Also make sure that the Reg is all the way in so you don't burn up that tip!
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    Yea if you were willing to wait 10 mins for it to heat up lol. I mostly use Oxy/ acy. but my Turbo Torch tips consist of A-3, A-11, A-15. THe 3 is for soldering. The 11 is the smallest I use for brazing.

Also make sure that the Reg is all the way in so you don't burn up that tip!
    Thanks a heap Pascone, that's precisely what I needed to know!

Use air acetylene. That is the way to go. Not as heavy as an Oxy acet. outfit and works a hell of a lot better than a TT. Don't have to heat up the world to do a good brazing job. Thank you, thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Use air acetylene. That is the way to go. Not as heavy as an Oxy acet. outfit and works a hell of a lot better than a TT. Don't have to heat up the world to do a good brazing job. Thank you, thank you very much
    Well the thing is, I already have the TT outfit, if I can get it to work right, it's paid for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast