Thread: Carrier models

I have a quote from an apparently decent (its really tough to weed the goods one out) HVAC contractor to install a Carrier single stage 40K BTU furnace. (I have a very small house, I don't think 2 stage will really gain me anything)

He has quoted the 58MCA unit. Looking at Carrier's site, that is the Weathermate series. They also have a single stage Weathermaker series, the 58MXA.

The contractor is telling me that the 2 units are almost equivalent with a the exception of a lifetime as opposed to 20 year warranty on the heat exchanger (which is fairly meaningless for all practical purposes). He says there is an additional coating on the exchangers and a bit more insulation around the cabinet, other than that the units are equivalent.

Not knowing that much about the Carrier line, can anyone validate this contractors assessment of the difference between the models?

2nd - I have a competitive quote from another installer to install a Rheem 90 plus RGRA 40 unit. The Carrier guy's assessment is that Rheem is a good unit, but more prevalent in the South and Southeast than in the Northeast, where I am located. Can anyone confirm this assessment?

Sorry to appear skeptical, but the only way to validate is to ask some other people. This information is not available on some website.

Thanks for any assistance.

I live in NJ and I am a Carrier dealer. Before I was a Carrier dealer, I was a RUUD (same as Rheem) dealer so I very familiar with both brands.

The MCA is a Builders grade model and the MXA is not. There's really no difference between the two, except The MCA comes with 25 years on the heat exchanger and the MXA comes with a Lifetime. I would be to concerned about it.

RUUD is an excellent product and they are very common in New Jersey which is part of the "Northeast"

I would go with the contractor you feel most comfortable with because both of these furnaces will give you many years of reliable service so long as they are installed properly.

Hope this helps...

Dave in NJ

Dave,

Thanks much for the info, adds some reassurance.

If you want to send an email to
    jeffr30377
    at
    aol
    dot
    com,
    I would like to ask you if you are familiar with the contractor who has quoted. I am in Philadelphia.

If you would prefer not to, I understand and appreciate the information provided.

Jeff

[Edited by Mod2 on 11-28-2005 at 08:08 PM]

smadave, I am a homeowner also needing a smaller furnace such as the 40K Carrier furnace descibed in this post. Could you point me to a web site that has the specifications on the 40K mxa model?

12 years ago this month I put in a new furnace for Sis. Was there last night changing the air cleaner media. In that 12 years of hard use (a smidge undersized) all I've done to it was change the drain hoses that rotted out. It was a test model of the current Rheem/Ruud 90. Since then we've installed 100+ of these furnaces with super results. Don't be afraid of it in any part of the country. Rheem & Ruud don't advertise as much as the blue oval nor have the famous name.

I personally would suggest the better model of either brand. In Rheem/Ruud, it gets you a better ignition system, better board, blower compartment insulation which quiets blower noise, and a 4 speed motor vs 3 speed for more airflow flexibility.

If you go Carrier, I'd make sure you are getting the newest model with the better ignition system and heavy duty ignitor. They made some changes to make it quieter and easier to work on. Not sure what the model #s are, probably changed a bit. MXB maybe?

Shoot52 - The websites for homeowners really dont get into specs..maybe if you tell what your looking for I can help you.

Dave

Jeffwired - Really wouldnt be familiar with a company in the philadelphia area. I am at the shore near Toms River. I would check with the BBB and see if they have complaints, maybe ask them for some references (how they respond to that question will tell you alot about them), and ask if they are Nate certified. I dont believe Nate certified is an absolute must (I know plenty of highly skilled techs that are not Nate certified) but its a plus.
    Dont ever pay for the job 100% before its 100% complete!!

Dave in NJ

Shoot52: good site here http://www.commercial.carrier.com/details/0,2806,CLI1_DIV41_ETI6245,00.html?SMSESSION=NO

jeffwired, thanks for the web site. thats the kind of information I was looking for.