I live in Northern Arizona and recently began using my furnace as the temperature drops. I notice that while it is running, I hear a high pitched whistle in the rooms near or below the unit (it is located in the attic). Forced air heat, 3 year old home. This was also a problem when the unit was first used and it took a technician all of 5 seconds to fix the problem. Is there some adjustment I can do myself? Thanks.

I suspect your furnace is horizontal, in which case I'll tell you what happened to me over the weekend. I also started hearing a high pitch whistle through the return air grille - traced it to the blower compartment, opened the door, and saw that the cabinet insulation became unglued and fell onto the spinning blower squirrel cage, causing the two to rub and make the whistling noise. Some adhesive and five minutes later it was good as new.

Just a thought.

Here's my post from a Similar thead...

Originally posted by jultzya
    I have an idea, but it is not a recommended DIY project.

Here's something to think about...

When was the last time you had that unit cleaned and serviced?

Now you have a problem with the unit. Fuel costs are skyrocketing.

So why not call in a professional to repair the furnace and look over your heating equipment? While they are there they can clean and inspect your unit to insure a safe living environment for you and your loved ones. Not to mention, having an efficient running system could save you more than the cost of the service.

What's your safety worth? I'm guessing more than the repair bill.

Cool

may need to have your blower wheel adjusted or the motor
    YOU REALLY NEED TO CALL A TECH
    if the wheel is out of wack it can burn out the motor and some other expensive parts.
    if I were u i would call a tech to correct the problem
    before you have a major expensive problem.

New homes usually mean cheap equipment, door panels not sealed etc. I think a high pitched whistle might be the least of your problems if you have the sloppy install that most new homes are burdended with.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.