Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I was just curious, the inspectors here have been more acclimated to changes in building science....recent built homes in the west end have been built with conditioned crawlspaces.
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime.

Give a man a capacitor, doesn't know what to do. Teach a man to install it, now he knows everything.

@beshvac no such luck .... 1984 home w/ one of the smallest crawl spaces I've ever seen ... amazed they even got the A/H in there

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBliss View Post
    @beshvac no such luck .... 1984 home w/ one of the smallest crawl spaces I've ever seen ... amazed they even got the A/H in there
    I used to live in south carolina...they took "brick veneer" to a whole new level.....when houses being built with 16" crawlspaces and after all the trades were done accessing the crawls from all sides they put the brick up....

trane airhandlers are pretty big...I understand you have to relocate to the garage.
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime.

Give a man a capacitor, doesn't know what to do. Teach a man to install it, now he knows everything.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdunes View Post
    The noise difference from the XL15i to the XR15 is inconsequential; 75db to 76db.

The major difference is the proprietary XL series top and the extra 2 yr warranty on the compressor.

IMO
    That is very incorrect. The XL15 is rated at 71 decibels and the XR15 is rated at 75(XR13 is rated at 76) in this tonnage. While 71 to 75 may not seem like a huge ammount it can really make a difference if its in a outdoor living area or next to a bedroom. If I remember correctly every 10 decibels is a doubling of noise, so from the XR15 is more than 40% louder than an XL15i.
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

For sky

Not according to Trane website when you compare the two condensers.

Perhaps the website is wrong- it has been in the past.

See below.

Results
    Metric Display Name XL15i XR15
    SEER (Cooling Efficiency) up to 16.00 up to 16.50
    HSPF (Heating Efficiency) up to 9.0 up to 9.0
    Energy Star Yes Yes
    Nominal Sound Level 74 75
    Two-Stage Operation Single Stage Single Stage
    Registered* Limited Warranty 12-Year Compressor, 10-Year coil, 10-Year functional parts 10-Year Compressor, Coil, and functional parts
    Extended Warranty Optional Available Optional Available

IMO

The website is not correct or as up to date as the equipment selection guide that Trane gives its dealers. Every new revision has a new sounds rating, every single model number change gets a new rating, however I don't know why Trane would show 74 decibels for the XL15i because it has been at 71 for at least 3 years as this is why I installed an XL15i at my house(granted the XR15 wasn't available then). Even on the trane.com website it shows the XL15i as the quietest of Tranes single stage equipment.
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

Regardless whether you are right or Trane's website is correct, I believe the difference for 99.99% of homeowners would be inconsequential.

The condenser would definitely be quieter than what HO has.

IMO

just want to add, to the quiet thing here, I have 2- and XL19i 3 ton and a XL15 1.5 ton right next to my bedroom, I can barely here them, mainly just here the contactor pull in, even the defrost cycle is near un detected.
    It's hard to stop a Trane. but I have made one helluva living keeping them going.

had another company quote the job and they are listing the following heat strip .... BAYHTR1410BRKB

what is the difference from the BAYEVAC10BK1AA

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBliss View Post
    had another company quote the job and they are listing the following heat strip .... BAYHTR1410BRKB
    what is the difference from the BAYEVAC10BK1AA
    Try to find a competent and trustworthy company. This level of technical detail is majoring on minors.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    More at: http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/education/

so who is right

company #1 says 3 ton first floor and 2 ton second
    company #2 says 2.5 ton first floor and 2 ton second
    company #3 says 2 ton for both floors
    company #4 says 2 ton first floor and 1.5 ton second floor

How in the world are you suppose to know which proposal is right ?

I would bet on #3. Nobody wants to undersize. I like 2 ton on the 2nd floor because about 1/3 if the heat entering the first floor goes up the stairwell and adds that load to the 2nd floor load.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    More at: http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/education/

Thanks for the feedback Lynn. From reading the forum comments it seemed to me that oversizing was worst than undersizing .. or did I misread?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast