Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thoughs on this Trane split system

Replacing 15 year old downstairs unit that has died. May decide to replace upstairs unit as well as most of my neighbors experiences have been that when 1 unit fails the other follows in about a year.

After reading several post and see some of the AHRI data I began to wonder about the proper(best) combinations for heat pump + air handlers w/heat strips. We have pretty much decided on a Trane XL15i system(seems nobody likes the XL16i). Here's some basics and our top choice of the proposed systems.

House is 2 story with vaulted family room. 1500SF down and 900SF upstairs.
    Air handler to be relocated from crawl space into garage.
    Ductwork to be replaced .. 14 vents + 2 returns
    House located in Richmond, Va

4TWX5030A1000A heat pump
    TAM7A0A24H21SA air handler
    BAYEVAC10BK1AA heater

Opinions ?
    Last edited by beenthere; 08-21-2011 at 08:02 PM. Reason: corrected vent number

great bang for the buck, what t- stat? why 2 ton A/H and 2.5 ton HP?
    It's hard to stop a Trane. but I have made one helluva living keeping them going.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBliss View Post
    Replacing 15 year old downstairs unit that has died. May decide to replace upstairs unit as well as most of my neighbors experiences have been that when 1 unit fails the other follows in about a year.

After reading several post and see some of the AHRI data I began to wonder about the proper(best) combinations for heat pump + air handlers w/heat strips. We have pretty much decided on a Trane XL15i system(seems nobody likes the XL16i). Here's some basics and our top choice of the proposed systems.

House is 2 story with vaulted family room. 1500SF down and 900SF upstairs.
    Air handler to be relocated from crawl space into garage.
    Ductwork to be replaced .. 11 vents + 2 returns
    House located in Richmond, Va

4TWX5030A1000A heat pump
    TAM7A0A24H21SA air handler
    BAYEVAC10BK1AA heater

Opinions ?
    Nice system. There are two general service bulletin's on that air handler however, one for warping doors and one for a low voltage terminal connection problems. Make sure your dealer is aware of this and no problem.
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Prestige t-stat

why 2 ton A/H 2.5 ton HP ? No clue .. just starting to digest the propsals which included from a XR13 XR15 XL15i XL16i XL20i. Is that an approved match ? Advantages/disadvantages compared to 2.5 ton A/H ?

FYI .. also plan on getting a quote from another Trane dealer in town.

Thanks

Is the Hyperion "better" than the 4TEEs ?

and i can not edit my post but the # of vents is 14 (not 11)

bliss

I will assume you are being sized correctly.

That is not the best choice on air handler.

I would want the following:

4385465 Active Systems XL15I WEATHERTRON TRANE 4TWX5030A1 *AM7A0B30H21 31600 13.00 15.75 29800 9.50 18000

also, I would recomment Trane's 2 stg heat strip, 7/12 KW. don't have the mdl number.

Thermostat at minimum should be Trane's 803 or identical from Honeywell Mdl #8321. Or even HW VP IAQ.

I prefer a good 4-5" pleated filter media cabinet like Perfect Fit or HW mdl #200 over 1" throwaway filters.

You could save a few $$ by going with the XR15 HP condenser. Main difference is two yrs less warranty on compressor, drops from 12 yr for XL15i to 10 yr for XR15.

a very nice system.

IMO

While the XR15 is a great unit the XL15i is much quieter and if you live in an area where the XL15i top will make a difference that is also a factor. Efficiency wise both should be the same when matched with the proper air handler. Also if your Trane Dealer is a TCS dealer you should receive a rebate on the XL15i system and not the XR15. I have an XL15i in my house so that would be my preference over the XR15(mine is in my backyard so noise was a huge deal, I also have trees around my house and live in rainy oregon so the top made a difference to me).

Papa Bliss as for the Hyperion being better than the 4TEE air handler, yes it is in many ways if your installer has installed them. The Hyperiod is a positive pressure air handler, meaning it blows the air across the coil while the 4TEE is a negative air pressure air handler as it pulls the air across the coil. What this means for you is that the hyperion will not pull in contaminants from your garage or attic or basement where it is located. Also the hyperion has less than 1" air leakage when installed properly and sealed fully. While you will still feel minimal air blow out its less than what seeps into the 4TEE. The hyperion is also whisper quiet compared with the 4TEE which was already quiet. I highly prefer the hyperiod. You can see some hyperion air handlers my company has installed in my YouTube link.
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

Or you can do this
    4TWX5030A1000A
    4TEE3F40B1
    16 SEER
    13 EER
    9HSPF
    ARI # 3024337

Is there a problem with the exisiting duct system? Replacing it and relocating the air handler is not without risk. I hope your contractor is good at duct design and installation. I would recommend duct leakage testing and sealing. Talk to the contractor.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    More at: http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/education/

The noise difference from the XL15i to the XR15 is inconsequential; 75db to 76db.

The major difference is the proprietary XL series top and the extra 2 yr warranty on the compressor.

IMO

Why are you relocating to garage?
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime.

Give a man a capacitor, doesn't know what to do. Teach a man to install it, now he knows everything.

@lynn existing ductwork is in bad shape. Sections are seperated,moldy,dusty. House has cold spots. Thought if we are getting a nice new system why not replace the ductwork as well. Companies supplying bids are the major companies in the area so I hope they know what they are doing.

@beshvac Have space in garage and it seemed to be a better environment that the crawlspace. IS there a reason not to do move it ? Also relocating the HP .. currently sits under kitchen window and takes up prime patio space.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast