Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    redneck hvac-r Guest

Check this out

Follow the link and keep an open mind, I think I would do this if I ever built a new house.

http://www.thenaturalhome.com/earthtube.htm

I have a friend who was from AZ. and he said that sort of thing works excellent but I have never seen one myself.

Redneck.

I want to respect the no price discussion here. NJ is a tough place to get any contractor to do anything. There appears to be only 2 certified geothermal installers in my area. One is very difficult to get an appointment with, and the other quoted me a price of nearly 3 times the cost of a Rheem 92% modulating furnace system for a 2400 square foot house. That seems really out of whack, and I'm having a hard time justifying this big of a cost difference. This person is also telling me that it will cost me $40-50 per month to heat and cool my house per month on average. That seems low.

When the conventional system was quoted, they did a manual J calculation and came up with a Heating load of 43032 Btuh and a cooling load of 32581 Btuh. The heating and cooling AVF numbers are 1516.

I wished I lived in an area where contractors are reliable and trustworthy.

[/B][/QUOTE]

I'd have to agree. I looked a lot onto geo & a 3 ton system with new ductwork would be about $13-14k for my 2000 sqft house.
    In floor radiant is nice but you still have to have ductwork for a/c in the summer, so geo seems the better choice IMO. The idea of adding solar later sounds good. If you can, get some of the wiring & such intalled while the home is being built so it makes it easier & cheaper to add it later. [/B][/QUOTE]

I was doing research into Geothermal myself. The price was high but not outragous. My problem, not enough land for the horizontal loops. (This of course varries by location, climate, and soil type.) I found a web site that can take your info and give an estimate for the amount of loop your location might need, from there you can decide if you still want to try. http://www.arit.com/

As far as the earthtubes go, I would worry about mold buildup in them.

[Edited by tclynx on 12-02-2005 at 12:25 PM]

read lots here!
    geotherm= soil, soil, soil = one must have the proper soil for good heat transfer; one must have the proper backfill for good heat transfer.

solar: in the mid1980s, I concluded that having heat collecting shutters would work best in northern Indiana -- especially after seeing snow sitting on the solar panel at a local university which was tilted at the "correct" angle of ~60 degrees. & not wanting to worry with water freezing.

read at BUILDINGSCIENCE.com
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

Originally posted by tclynx
    I was doing research into Geothermal myself. The price was high but not outragous. My problem, not enough land for the horizontal loops.

[Edited by tclynx on 12-02-2005 at 12:25 PM]
    When the land does not permit horizontal loops, vertical bore holes are the solution. Price is about the same as a horizontal loop system.

Talk to a local geo installer about it.

paul

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12