Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rbelisle1 View Post
    I have not had the aeroseal done at my house, but my neighbor did. We both have the very same house, built a the same time. I suspect that like everything else in the hvac industry, the installer is the key.

I did watch the neighbors pre-sales inspection, the installation and the post testing. What I am about to say, is based only on my observations.

The initial leak testing was done with all registers in place. A plastic film was placed over the registers to seal them. I noticed that the sealing did not extend to the register/wall interface. The house is over 25 years old and I can tell you, from my home, that the original 1/4 inch open cell foam register/wall gaskets have all turned to dust and provide no sealing. As witnessed by the dust streaks on the neighbors walls around each register. Additionally, the drywall to duct interface at each register was originally done, again my opinion, by a beaver with bad teeth!!!. In my home and my neighbors home, the register flanges barely cover the gap between drywall and the ducts/nailing flange!!.

Prior to the installation of the aeroseal, all registers were removed and caulking/mastic applied to the drywall and duct interface by the aeroseal installer. The ducts (now without registers, were then re-sealed with tape and plastic on the inside of the ducts. Then the aeroseal product was installed.

After the aeroseal was installed, the ducts were rechecked for leakage, without the registers in place, but with the plastic and tape in the ducts. The amount of leakage, was way way down in comparison to the original test. I believe that the installer advised that the estimated duct leakage, after the installation of the aeroseal, was down to 5 percent. I do not recall exactly, what the original estimated leakage was, but I believe that it was around 30 percent. Once the registers were re-installed, no further testing was done.

The neighbor also, from this same company, at the same time, had new dual pane windows, a solar hot water system and a new set back thermostat installed.

Again, these are just my observations of one company and one installation.
    that suck's. have they looked into going after the installers? what you are saying is the duct sealing worked, but you are not sure how well?

Quote Originally Posted by snupytcb View Post
    that suck's. have they looked into going after the installers? what you are saying is the duct sealing worked, but you are not sure how well?
    they did the initial and final testing wrong. initial cover grills that were known leaking gasket to ceiling, then remove grills do aeroseal and then retest with no grills. they eliminated a known leak on the after results test. they should have put grilles back up like in the pre test. Or not used the grilles in the pre test. They proved nothing
    It's hard to stop a Trane. but I have made one helluva living keeping them going.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Mech View Post
    they did the initial and final testing wrong. initial cover grills that were known leaking gasket to ceiling, then remove grills do aeroseal and then retest with no grills. they eliminated a known leak on the after results test. they should have put grilles back up like in the pre test. Or not used the grilles in the pre test. They proved nothing
    do you think they did this to try to hide something?

Quote Originally Posted by snupytcb View Post
    do you think they did this to try to hide something?
    it would be purely speculation, and throwing asumptions around, but if what was stated exactly is the way the test was performed, was not an honest duct leak test.
    It's hard to stop a Trane. but I have made one helluva living keeping them going.

Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Mech View Post
    People want free diagnostics and advice to convince them to buy stuff.

Diagnostics and expert advice aren't free. Somebody is paying for them, or losing money on them. So free diagnostics become selling snake oil instead of true diagnostics.

Ideally Aeroseal would be purchased, then when the machines are all ready to do their thing THAT is the time to get real test in number because THAT is the time thorough efforts to seal supplies has been performed. How much effort you putting into getting supplies perfectly sealed for a test that may not result in a sale?

Problem becomes "leakage 35%? Hey, last time you tested it was 47%, what is this?!?" Guys don't want to resell a job after it's sold so they avoid sharing the real number.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Quote Originally Posted by tedkidd View Post
    People want free diagnostics and advice to convince them to buy stuff.

Diagnostics and expert advice aren't free. Somebody is paying for them, or losing money on them. So free diagnostics become selling snake oil instead of true diagnostics.

Ideally Aeroseal would be purchased, then when the machines are all ready to do their thing THAT is the time to get real test in number because THAT is the time thorough efforts to seal supplies has been performed. How much effort you putting into getting supplies perfectly sealed for a test that may not result in a sale?

Problem becomes "leakage 35%? Hey, last time you tested it was 47%, what is this?!?" Guys don't want to resell a job after it's sold so they avoid sharing the real number.
    +1

You never get something for nothing.

Duct sealing solution

www.thermacote.com

The real thermal barrier,corrosion protection and complete sealing solution

^^^^^^^ You clearly don't understand the principle of AEROSEAL.

Whatever

Regular Guest

^^^^^^^ You clearly don't understand the principle of AEROSEAL. "

I think it is you that is at a lack of understanding,respectfully

Quote Originally Posted by bouncer View Post
    ^^^^^^^ You clearly don't understand the principle of AEROSEAL. "

I think it is you that is at a lack of understanding,respectfully
    Yes you are quite correct, we don't understand your post.

Possibly because it looks like an advertisement, there is absolutely no explanation behind it.

If you are a true believer in thermocote why not tell us the applications for which you have experienced results that might be compelling. For this thread it probably should also have something to do with sealing ductwork. If it doesn't, best to start another thread.

If you are simply proselytizing without a solid basis for anybody but a blind follower to believe, then no explanation is required...
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Bouncer, we're talking about sealing ductwork. How does thermacote seal ductwork? Looks like a ceramic paint to me which reflects IR for roofs to reduce heat absorption... That was the point of my comment. Can Thermacote be sprayed inside existing ductwork, like AEROSEAL, and seal up all the holes? Thermal barrier, corrosion protection - I'll take your comment as-is. But sealing solution? How?

Hmm Shortcircuit.

I have to humbly eat crow and feathers and well just you name it..Currently I am not prepared to make the claim that it can ;

"# Wall registers are covered in order for air to escape only through the leaks
    # Sealant in injected into the ducts for approximately 1 hour
    # Small aerosol particles are kept suspended in the airflow by continuous air movement
    # As the air stream makes a sharp turn to exit through a leak, the particles collide with and adhere to the leak edges
    # Ducts are sealed with only 1-2 oz. of the sealant material remaining in the ducts"

It is applied through spray applicator but I have inquired of the inventor/owner of thermacote..

I would say at this point apples and oranges..However new installations would have far superior results with Thermacote applied..Again my apology

Well, thermocoat makes interesting claims. So if you find out or have some further experience with it please let us know?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast