Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Problems with Rebuilt Copelands

I've had four rebuilt 6D Copelands blow heads gaskets shortly after startup (The rebuilds are not from Copeland and I'm not going to mention the company yet). And everytime the broken gaskets are between the cylinders.The gaskets are paper and the center bolt for the valve plate is missing in everyone...

Wow that really sucks. We use a machine local rebuilder and have had nothing but good luck with them.

So do you replace the gasket and install the missing bolt and all is well?

rebuiilt vs remanufactured.

Maybe the compressors are rebuilt incorrectly by inexperienced people. Our company does NOT rebuild, we only REMANUFACTURE. After 39 years you remember the little things (like putting the center bolt back in). Bad rebuilds make it hard on companies like ours. We all get lumped into the same category of "those guys that do bad rebuilding".

i have seen a few times semi's blow gaskets due to problems with the expansion valve, both times the compressors blew head gaskets multiple times and after a lot of troubleshooting discovered that the expansion valves had been worked on, one of em was someone replaced an expansion valve and overheated it an caused problems with the distributor tubes had to install new distributor and valve, the other one was someone was trying to make adjustments to the valve when it wasn't a valve problem. did you figure out exactly if the problem was that missing center bolt, or system problems in the unit that took out the original compressors? just curious

Rebuilt Compressor problem

Rebuilt or remanufactured, please, I'm not being sarcastic but explain to me the difference? Can you recommend a good organization that rebuilds or remanufactures compressors? I have not installed the center bolt but I'm baffled when a sticker on the compressor head says it has a center bolt and it does not???? Furthermore, I'm not sure what a faulty TXV has to do with a blown head gasket. I'm curios what your theory is concerning the faulty TXV???

rebuilt or reman

Rebuilt implies that the compressor was taken apart and the broken part(s) was replaced. The compressor was then put back together and returned to service.
    Remanufacturing means that ALL LIFE CYCLE SENSITIVE PART ARE REPLACED. This means regardless of condition all con rods, pistons, bearings and valves are replaced. It also means that crankshafts are returned to factory dimensions without allowance for wear. In other words, the crank must be reground to a factory undersize dimension or replaced. Nothing is re-used "as is". Motor windings also must pass similar test. All in all, a remanufactured compressor is as good as a new one. The factory provides remanufactured compressors. In spite of what the factory says, outside companies can also do the same thing at a significant cost savings over the OEM. Our company in Detroit Michigan has been doing this for 30 years and we would be happy to help you with your compressor problems.

the txv blowing head gaskets, more than likely would be due to lack of superheat and liquid coming back to the compressor.

i have had several carlylse 06e (not exactly sure if thats the start of the model?) because of having too much oil in the crankcase, this oil gets swept up by the incoming refrigerant and blows gaskets in the head of the compressor because of the incompressibiliy of the oil.

i buy ALOT of remaned compressors and have had none that failed because of a bad build. its always been something in the system.

jeep

remanworld i couldnt find an email in your contacts? could you email me some info about your company?

thanks in advance.

jeep

My first thought is liquid flooding. This could be continuous if the superheat was way low for some reason. It could be a piping issue that allows a startup surge of liquid refrigerant and/or oil to surge into the compressor. If this is a refrigeration system with defrost of any kind, a surge of liquid often follows a defrost. A suction accumulator may be a good investment.

The modern compressor valves are very rugged. New gaskets are more likely to fail than old baked on gaskets. Flooding can blow a new gasket and leave no evidence in the valves.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    More at: http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/education/

Compressor Gasket

Thanks for your input its making sense. This units does have poor piping and low superheat. However, I've always thought of blown head gaskets as a compressor problem but you've convinced me otherwise.

BTW, Participate some more and go for pro.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    More at: http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/education/

Going Pro

Going Pro is my goal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast