06D compresor presures

Have A Carrier 06D with 2 electric hot gas unloaders that was replace by others last year. One unloader is disconnected, and when the other kicks in my pressures go from 210/ 60 to 150/110 on a 75 degree day. The only thing I can think of is a resticted discharge line. Others have said bad valves, but under full load the unit runs fine. It's not the hot gas by-pass has this has been tested. Any ideas?

is the unit air or water cooled R-22 and just call them unloaders HOT GAS will mix up people there two different animals. how many heads on the compressors ,and how are you controlling the compressor staging to load/unload?
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

A 06d, or e, with 2 unloaders MUST be 6 cylinders, or someone really screwed up. The disconnected head is loaded all the time, when the wired unloader "kicks in" you will get pressures like that with HGBP.. HGBP. is bad for compressors in my opinion except for low temp. aplications, they like to come apart and wreck compressors. As Maxter asked, whats controlling your staging? and make sure that's set up right,next, see if you can get the customer to let you change it to suction cutoff unloading, it's expensive, but in the long run the customer has better capacity control and longer compressor life. Hot woman or hot compressor-which one would you rather sleep with? Remember, you touched it, It's yours!
    Damn phosgene

unloaders

Never unload a low temp compressor. HGBP unloading from Carlyle was the first unloader design and works well. Suction cutoff is more energy efficient and is the current style. Both work. Look for the problem. Don't sell the customer on new style unloading, it will not fix your problems.

I would do a "pump-down test". Just watch the pressures, they are supposed to hold to about 3# a minute if I remember correct. After an initial wait because at first the pressure goes up fairly quick. That may not help, but it only takes about 15 minutes or so.

I am also curious what would happen if you swapped out your unloader coils, switch them. Since one is inactive. {Possible piston[s] not moving somewhere and the unloaded ones are the ones that are actually the few working?}

You can always pull the heads and check pistons, but that is expensive and I have no idea that the problem is even inside the compressor. Your guess is as good as mine, I am just telling you what I would do. And be sure the txv is modulating correctly to the change.

To me it sounds like you may be calling a hot gas bypass valve a unloader. That would explain the pressure change. The unloaders are on the heads of the compressor. If it is an 06D then it will only have 1 unloader on 1 head and 1 head without. If it is an 06E it will have 3 heads and it could have 1 or 2 unloaders.

Quote Originally Posted by maxster View Post
    is the unit air or water cooled R-22 and just call them unloaders HOT GAS will mix up people there two different animals. how many heads on the compressors ,and how are you controlling the compressor staging to load/unload?
    X2
    “It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are.”

- E.E. Cummings

Tool slinger is right, bad valves. If you pull the heads off the remanufactured compressor you will find garbage from mistorqued screws and valve seats. It,s too hard to make everything stay put in hot gas. Valve off the compressor and check the valves, customer want,s it to to cool,make it so, *****ing,moaning and arguing never helps.

Who is smarter? The machines? Or us?
    Damn phosgene

Who is argueing, I'm just not sure GuitarDan knows what he is looking at for sure. Especially since he hasn't responded back.

I have 40 Carlyle 06da compressors with two electronic hot gas unloaders.
    Water cooled Carriers.

However we don't know what you have, you may have a water reg valve or a epr or a freq drive on evap or cond pump or both!or who the heck knows? So what are you working on?

Yes it is possible that you already have lost a valve or a gasket piece and when you unload it all goes to crap.

By the way if you do pull the heads first of all don't forget to have at the least gaskets and a few spare valves or a valve plate And watch the pistons go up and down and see if they are loose. Get a good torque wrench and download the Carlyle PDF.
    “It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are.”

- E.E. Cummings

Thanks for all the info. the unit is air cooled Carrier 50BK-034. I have six layers of approval to go thru. Still have not even got permision to change the drier. I guess we wait till it blows up and get emergency autherisation. Will try to respond at a faster rate, and let everyone know what came out.
    Last edited by GuitarDan; 08-30-2011 at 03:12 AM. Reason: add appoligy for late responce