* Charging via Suction Line - Still Work??? * - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Anyone else waiting for the day when units come shipped with a bottle of refrigerant, and it autofills?
    'unit low on charge. Click here to refill to correct charge.'
    *5 hours later*
    "Yeah ma'm, it was a hard one to figure out. But I got it lick'd."
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Quote Originally Posted by TriWorksInc View Post
    Wouldn't a fan cycle control do the same thing but a little more efficiently ?
    yeah, but you have to explain "you need this $200 control to make it run as good as it did before I fixed it". and you get the calls about the "outside fan not running right.

And I guess at 80F outside air tempature the overcharged system is a bit more efficient (more subcooling). a different story at 95F oat.

I have to agree with Fearless on this one. Here on the coast of Maine we also deal with cooler temps and high humidity. We have to do about a 10 - 15% overcharge to orifice systems to achieve desired interior comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    Anyone else waiting for the day when units come shipped with a bottle of refrigerant, and it autofills?
    'unit low on charge. Click here to refill to correct charge.'
    *5 hours later*
    "Yeah ma'm, it was a hard one to figure out. But I got it lick'd."
    I hate to be the one to break it to you but Trane/ AM. Standard already do this!!

Hook up a jug to the condenser, Push a button and walk away for an hour. Come back and you got it lick'd
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    I hate to be the one to break it to you but Trane/ AM. Standard already do this!!

Hook up a jug to the condenser, Push a button and walk away for an hour. Come back and you got it lick'd
    It takes an HOUR?

Quote Originally Posted by fearlessfurnace View Post
    guilty secret. Fixed orifice systems work better around here if slightly overcharged.

The book is the same in New Mexico or Alaska. In Michigans low temp and high humidity I have gotten more than one call back because the system "doesnt cool as well" after I reduced the charge to the book. Add a 10-20% overcharge back in everybodys happy.
    The likelihood is, by overcharging a fixed orifice system you are reducing the system capacity causing longer run times and condensing more humidity right? So the real issue is probably system size and design, not some strange Michigan charging warp.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    It takes an HOUR?
    To be honest I never actually did it that way. I installed one system and it was too cold to use that feature. The ambient has to be above 55 I think.

YOu install and solenoid valve and it opens and closes it to add the refrigerant. In the manual I believe it said it allows the system to stabilize a while before continuing to add. So depending on how low it is you may be waiting awhile. Ill look for a manual but i don't have access to comfort site.
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post

replace daycare with service tech.

Trane tech is getting wild. Push button charging.......

thats freaking scary, and yet, I'm somehow aroused by this idea.....
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Fan cycling control

Quote Originally Posted by fearlessfurnace View Post
    yeah, but you have to explain "you need this $200 control to make it run as good as it did before I fixed it". and you get the calls about the "outside fan not running right.

And I guess at 80F outside air tempature the overcharged system is a bit more efficient (more subcooling). a different story at 95F oat.

For an affordable $$.$$ solution I use the "p" encapsulated fan cycling pressure switch. I also try to explain the fan turning on and off to the customer, but you guys know how that can be.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123