Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 66 to 78 of 130
  1. #66
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    923

    Balance

    Good for you, did you do it? I think that is equally as important as the energy source

  2. #67
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Central Kentucky
    Posts
    6,248

    Re: Balance

    Originally posted by propmanage
    Good for you, did you do it? I think that is equally as important as the energy source
    Yes we do our own balancing.
    At first it was very discouraging to see what I used to think worked really didn't.
    It was a good growing process though & the ultimate in quality control.
    Have you set up a Google alert for Carbon Monoxide yet?
    Click here to find out how.

  3. #68
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,927
    Originally posted by geob
    ....the conclusion that I'm drawn to is that having unnecessary return runs(qty 2) doesn’t have any substantial negative impact on my homes heating and cooling system. I won’t rip them out . Thanks
    thats right.
    if you think they are pulling too much air(uh-oh,I mean if too much air is being "pushed" through them)then simply block them off to test your theory.

  4. #69
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    923

    Davidr

    That sounds like something I will have to do. Training and certification for balancing is expensive but useful. I have done the cfm many times but not a lot of liquid. Thing is being able to do it. Is not nearly as good as holding the certification and charging money to do it. I usually call the balance people in but that can get costly.

    Was balancing something you took an interest with on the side or do you do designing of the systems and just like to do the balancing as part of design trade.

  5. #70
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,981
    Originally posted by trane
    I don't know much about water pumps but I still say a blower sucks.

    [Edited by trane on 11-28-2005 at 05:55 PM]
    I must admit that even I have made this statement a time or two.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  6. #71
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,981
    Originally posted by jacob perkins
    Originally posted by geob
    ....the conclusion that I'm drawn to is that having unnecessary return runs(qty 2) doesn’t have any substantial negative impact on my homes heating and cooling system. I won’t rip them out . Thanks
    thats right.
    if you think they are pulling too much air(uh-oh,I mean if too much air is being "pushed" through them)then simply block them off to test your theory.
    You actually just struck on the core of this issue; return ducting cannot "pull" too much air from an area because it relies on the added pressure of the air being introduced to an area to "push" the air through the first available "return" path back to the negative side of the blower.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  7. #72
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Central Kentucky
    Posts
    6,248

    Re: Davidr

    Originally posted by propmanage


    Was balancing something you took an interest with on the side or do you do designing of the systems and just like to do the balancing as part of design trade.

    My interest in balancing was started by reading articles by Rob Falke written back in the mid 90's.

    It made me question what I was doing & what I was assuming.

    To make a long story short I got certified, started testing & found out a whole lot I did not expect to.

    Nothing is more rewarding than proving what you design & install actually does what you designed it for.

    It is also very profitable to use that knowledge to go out & diagnose problem systems then recommend the required repairs based on the findings.

    Have you set up a Google alert for Carbon Monoxide yet?
    Click here to find out how.

  8. #73
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Central Kentucky
    Posts
    6,248
    Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    return ducting cannot "pull" too much air from an area because it relies on the added pressure of the air being introduced to an area to "push" the air through the first available "return" path back to the negative side of the blower.
    Robin you just gave me a great idea for a field experiment to test this theory.
    I will post photos & descriptions when I have a chance to do it.
    Have you set up a Google alert for Carbon Monoxide yet?
    Click here to find out how.

  9. #74
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,981
    Originally posted by davidr
    Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    return ducting cannot "pull" too much air from an area because it relies on the added pressure of the air being introduced to an area to "push" the air through the first available "return" path back to the negative side of the blower.
    Robin you just gave me a great idea for a field experiment to test this theory.
    I will post photos & descriptions when I have a chance to do it.
    Looking forward to it. Seen many smoke tests in control rooms on just this subject. Smoke tests in clear ducts also made me a believer in turning vanes and curved heel elbows for higher static systems in commercial applications.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  10. #75
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Central Kentucky
    Posts
    6,248
    Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    Originally posted by davidr
    Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    return ducting cannot "pull" too much air from an area because it relies on the added pressure of the air being introduced to an area to "push" the air through the first available "return" path back to the negative side of the blower.
    Robin you just gave me a great idea for a field experiment to test this theory.
    I will post photos & descriptions when I have a chance to do it.
    Looking forward to it. Seen many smoke tests in control rooms on just this subject. Smoke tests in clear ducts also made me a believer in turning vanes and curved heel elbows for higher static systems in commercial applications.
    You have seen the SMACNA video also then?

    I have removed more extractors as a result of that video & added 45º branch fittings in their place to help resolve airflow issues.

    It will not be anything under a controlled enviroment just using a flow hood,some masking tape & closing doors off.
    Have you set up a Google alert for Carbon Monoxide yet?
    Click here to find out how.

  11. #76
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,981
    I was raised in the sheet metal fabrication end of this business. SMACNA manuals were my bible. I have seen the actual tests before VHS made it easier to promote.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  12. #77
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    5,340
    Blowers suck to acquire the correct air, if they did not suck, and air just migrated back, then it would not be required on a 5 ton for the return to be on “both” sides if not in the bottom. It also would not be stated you can not come in the back of a furnace.

    The reason is because the blower has to be able to SUCK in the correct amount of air.

    There, you guys chew on that one for a while. This should be good enough for another 20 pages of “entertaining debating “ with robin.

  13. #78
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,981
    Originally posted by madeinusa
    Blowers suck to acquire the correct air, if they did not suck, and air just migrated back, then it would not be required on a 5 ton for the return to be on “both” sides if not in the bottom. It also would not be stated you can not come in the back of a furnace.

    The reason is because the blower has to be able to SUCK in the correct amount of air.

    There, you guys chew on that one for a while. This should be good enough for another 20 pages of “entertaining debating “ with robin.
    There is something about this post that sucks, but it ain't the blower.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event