Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Balance

Good for you, did you do it? I think that is equally as important as the energy source

Re: Balance

Originally posted by propmanage
    Good for you, did you do it? I think that is equally as important as the energy source
    Yes we do our own balancing.
    At first it was very discouraging to see what I used to think worked really didn't.
    It was a good growing process though & the ultimate in quality control.
    Have you set up a Google alert for Carbon Monoxide yet?
    Click here to find out how.

Originally posted by geob
    ....the conclusion that I'm drawn to is that having unnecessary return runs(qty 2) doesn’t have any substantial negative impact on my homes heating and cooling system. I won’t rip them out . Thanks
    thats right.
    if you think they are pulling too much air(uh-oh,I mean if too much air is being "pushed" through them)then simply block them off to test your theory.

Davidr

That sounds like something I will have to do. Training and certification for balancing is expensive but useful. I have done the cfm many times but not a lot of liquid. Thing is being able to do it. Is not nearly as good as holding the certification and charging money to do it. I usually call the balance people in but that can get costly.

Was balancing something you took an interest with on the side or do you do designing of the systems and just like to do the balancing as part of design trade.

Originally posted by trane
    I don't know much about water pumps but I still say a blower sucks.

[Edited by trane on 11-28-2005 at 05:55 PM]
    I must admit that even I have made this statement a time or two.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Originally posted by jacob perkins
    Originally posted by geob
    ....the conclusion that I'm drawn to is that having unnecessary return runs(qty 2) doesn’t have any substantial negative impact on my homes heating and cooling system. I won’t rip them out . Thanks
    thats right.
    if you think they are pulling too much air(uh-oh,I mean if too much air is being "pushed" through them)then simply block them off to test your theory.
    You actually just struck on the core of this issue; return ducting cannot "pull" too much air from an area because it relies on the added pressure of the air being introduced to an area to "push" the air through the first available "return" path back to the negative side of the blower.

Re: Davidr

Originally posted by propmanage

Was balancing something you took an interest with on the side or do you do designing of the systems and just like to do the balancing as part of design trade.

My interest in balancing was started by reading articles by Rob Falke written back in the mid 90's.

It made me question what I was doing & what I was assuming.

To make a long story short I got certified, started testing & found out a whole lot I did not expect to.

Nothing is more rewarding than proving what you design & install actually does what you designed it for.

It is also very profitable to use that knowledge to go out & diagnose problem systems then recommend the required repairs based on the findings.

Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    return ducting cannot "pull" too much air from an area because it relies on the added pressure of the air being introduced to an area to "push" the air through the first available "return" path back to the negative side of the blower.
    Robin you just gave me a great idea for a field experiment to test this theory.
    I will post photos & descriptions when I have a chance to do it.

Originally posted by davidr
    return ducting cannot "pull" too much air from an area because it relies on the added pressure of the air being introduced to an area to "push" the air through the first available "return" path back to the negative side of the blower.
    Looking forward to it. Seen many smoke tests in control rooms on just this subject. Smoke tests in clear ducts also made me a believer in turning vanes and curved heel elbows for higher static systems in commercial applications.

Originally posted by davidr
    Looking forward to it. Seen many smoke tests in control rooms on just this subject. Smoke tests in clear ducts also made me a believer in turning vanes and curved heel elbows for higher static systems in commercial applications.
    You have seen the SMACNA video also then?

I have removed more extractors as a result of that video & added 45º branch fittings in their place to help resolve airflow issues.

It will not be anything under a controlled enviroment just using a flow hood,some masking tape & closing doors off.

I was raised in the sheet metal fabrication end of this business. SMACNA manuals were my bible. I have seen the actual tests before VHS made it easier to promote.

Blowers suck to acquire the correct air, if they did not suck, and air just migrated back, then it would not be required on a 5 ton for the return to be on “both” sides if not in the bottom. It also would not be stated you can not come in the back of a furnace.

The reason is because the blower has to be able to SUCK in the correct amount of air.

There, you guys chew on that one for a while. This should be good enough for another 20 pages of “entertaining debating “ with robin.

Originally posted by madeinusa
    Blowers suck to acquire the correct air, if they did not suck, and air just migrated back, then it would not be required on a 5 ton for the return to be on “both” sides if not in the bottom. It also would not be stated you can not come in the back of a furnace.

The reason is because the blower has to be able to SUCK in the correct amount of air.

There, you guys chew on that one for a while. This should be good enough for another 20 pages of “entertaining debating “ with robin.
    There is something about this post that sucks, but it ain't the blower.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast