Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Ok, so today where I live it was in the mid 20's and I had my Tstat set at 65 for the daytime leave temp.

The upper floor of the house receives direct sun while the first floor gets none so It was 65 on the first floor and 73 on the second and third. So I closed the vents in the office on the thrid floor.

When the heat came on in the evening, no air entered the office. I got on a chair and felt the air at the return vent. There was no air movement. I opened the supply vent then checked again and air was rushing through the return grill and into the return duct.

So you are saying that air will not be forced into the return unless some air is entering the room, and air will not enter the room unless some air can escape. Right? Wrong?

Really....

Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    Think what you want fellows; HVAC blowers are not designed to pull air. Air, as is noted, will follow the path of least resistance and that is from a higher pressure area due to air being pushed into that area to the low pressure area of the blower as long as there is a pathway for it to "return" by.

We have gone through this before and the wrong use of terminology by dash complicated the subject then as it surely will again.

No...I will not get into this again. If dash wants to play mr. air expert, what the hell? The main point here is that the OP does not have to be concerned with having too much return path back to the blower.
    If you cannot have to much return then why will a motor over amp with the blower door off Robo ?
    AllTemp Heating & Cooling

I think what RoBo is saying is that a GOODMAN cannot have too much return and that a GOODMAN will not suck!! His GOODMAN Napolean complex is leaking (sucking) in again!! LOL
    Live for yourself and ask no one to live for you.

geob.

Its not the number of returns that count as much as the size and length and path of the runs.

Your return grilles may be not have as much air flow per grille as your supply regs, so the original contractor may have added enough return runs to allow for this.

And your new contractor may not have checked further then the number of runs.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Originally posted by jerrod6
    Ok, so today where I live it was in the mid 20's and I had my Tstat set at 65 for the daytime leave temp.

The upper floor of the house receives direct sun while the first floor gets none so It was 65 on the first floor and 73 on the second and third. So I closed the vents in the office on the thrid floor.

When the heat came on in the evening, no air entered the office. I got on a chair and felt the air at the return vent. There was no air movement. I opened the supply vent then checked again and air was rushing through the return grill and into the return duct.

So you are saying that air will not be forced into the return unless some air is entering the room, and air will not enter the room unless some air can escape. Right? Wrong?

Think of this room as a two litter Pepsi bottle with a return duct going into it. If the bottle cap is off you will have air moving through the opening even if its not connected to the supply of the blower. If you put the cap on and make a small hole in the side it will move as much air as possible through that hole.

The point I'm making is a sealed room will not get supply or return unless you have both or it will seek anyplace else it can to force supply out or return in. Robo wants you to believe that if there is no supply in this sealed room the return will not be trying to pull air in and this is false.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL

Re: Really....

Originally posted by AllTemp
    Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    Think what you want fellows; HVAC blowers are not designed to pull air. Air, as is noted, will follow the path of least resistance and that is from a higher pressure area due to air being pushed into that area to the low pressure area of the blower as long as there is a pathway for it to "return" by.

We have gone through this before and the wrong use of terminology by dash complicated the subject then as it surely will again.

No...I will not get into this again. If dash wants to play mr. air expert, what the hell? The main point here is that the OP does not have to be concerned with having too much return path back to the blower.
    If you cannot have to much return then why will a motor over amp with the blower door off Robo ?

To be fair on that point,Robo did say in the other post that you need the minimum required,or something like that,static,so with the door off you don't have it.

Now how the blower can "pull" in all that air with the door off,is the part he doesn't get.

Like I have been stating; "no air in, no air out."
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

If you cannot have to much return then why will a motor over amp with the blower door off Robo ? [/B]
    I'm a bit surprised that you would want to join the twisting of posts Mel;
    RoBoTeq
    Professional Member

Other then not having a required static at the unit, there is basically no such thing as too much return.

11-25-2005 06:01 PM

The reason is simple,they are both one of the farthest supplies and returns from the blower,there is less static there (pressure difeerential).

Cfm out and cfm in at the blower are always equal.So with the supply off,the return "pulled" air from the path of least resistance.When you allow supply back in the room,the blower is now "looking "for that air,and the return in that room became the path of least resistance.

Again, a good class at NCI,would help those that don't understand this.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RoBoTeq

Like I have been stating; "no air in, no air out."

Where did you state that,not that it's correct?

I thought you said,

"The return air portion of an HVAC ducting system does not "pull" or "suck" air...it allows the higher pressure of air introduced into an area to "return" to the units blower."

which is saying the supply air pressure "pushes" the air back to the blower,which you have said before.

The higher pressure air in the supply duct,after entering the room ,doesn't have anywhere near the ASP to push or return the air back to the blower.

[
    It would over amp because it is moving too much air. It was at an RPM suitable for more static.

The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

There is no point Dash. I don't think Robo will change his mind. When questioned about a post I would think it would be wise to answer and backup your thoughts.

Originally posted by trane
    There is no point Dash. I don't think Robo will change his mind. When questioned about a post I would think it would be wise to answer and backup your thoughts.
    Now that would be a novelty.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast