+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MP39 to 134 conversion

Post Likes

MP39 to 134 conversion

Recently encountered another old R12 two door box running MP39 that had a compressor less than two years old with a failed compressor.
    Granted restaurant equipment can take a severe beating. God knows this one did. Close to a fryer and the kitchen help doesn't monitor box temps.
    But it seems that the original R12 systems were able to handle more adverse conditions and survive.
    MP39 runs at a higher pressure than R12. The shell temps on some of these compressors run hotter. The amperage is higher.
    My supplier has a good price on a mineral oil Tecumseh. Probably because they're not shipping these anymore.
    Since I carry POE oil on the truck I'm seriously considering as a test to convert this one to 139. Just measure out the mineral oil and add back POE.
    I recently inherited an old grocery store that was all old equipment that was entirely 404 and 139. And I have to admit I like seeing that 139 pressure on the gauge. And that equipment was old and surviving well.
    You input is greatly appreciated.

Post Likes
    If the unit is cap tube fed I wouldn't consider putting 134A in it.....
    "The problem is the average person isn’t tuned in to lifelong learning, or going to seminars and so forth. If the information is not on television, and it’s not in the movies they watch, and it’s not in the few books that they buy, they don’t get it" - Jack Canfield

Post Likes

To 134?..con't

Thanks..That's the variable that I'm the least comfortable with. I'm planning to use a suction drier to combat any chemical reaction between remnants of mineral oil and AB oil. This particular piece of equipment is a real rat and should be replaced but they can't afford it.

The easiest thing to do would be just go with MP39 but I've been thinking about these blended refrigerants for a couple of years and mulling this over. If the system can somehow approach a clean state (I've thought) then heck, the mfg's are still building with 134.

Post Likes
    Two compressors in two years? They can't afford NOT to replace the unit in my opinion.

With what they'll have invested in swapping pumps twice now, they probably could have purchased a new 2 door....

I'm just sayin'
    "The problem is the average person isn’t tuned in to lifelong learning, or going to seminars and so forth. If the information is not on television, and it’s not in the movies they watch, and it’s not in the few books that they buy, they don’t get it" - Jack Canfield

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by markettech View Post
    Two compressors in two years? They can't afford NOT to replace the unit in my opinion.

With what they'll have invested in swapping pumps twice now, they probably could have purchased a new 2 door....

I'm just sayin'
    I agree and another benifit is more efficient unit lowing the electric usage making a quicker pay back.

Post Likes
    r409 is good for r12 units as well ... have any of that ?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in