Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

plugged captubes

Why do i keep getting cap tubes plugging up on 134a reach ins. I have had them plug up on units that have not even been open. Then on units we have opened plug up also. we pull a good vacume and keep eveything clean when we do this. What can i do to prevent this.

Keep the condenser coils clean and avoid using the copper spun dyers.
    http://acfwb.com/

"The best preparation for good work tomorrow is to do good work today"

X2 on the clean coils.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Just enjoy making all that money changing cap tubes! I do.

And use a Sporlan C-052-Cap-TT-HH on future cap tube replacements, to help prevent it from clogging up again.

I agree with Smurphy. Unless you want to guarantee a call back, avoid the copper bullet style driers.

And much like 2Sac said; keep that oil from cooking! (clean condensing coil)

High condensing temp causes waxing in the cap tube restricting it. If I work on a 134a system that is not keeping temp and find the condenser plugged or the condenser fan burnt out I usually end up with a plugged cap tube.

134a and cap tubes

I will usually warn customers nowadays when I see a refrigeration unit has 134a and a cap tube that even after repairing it the system might get restricted/clogged somewhere in that cap tube. That way they don't get mad if it happens. Some cap tube replacements are a pain and expensive. Customer should be given the choice of a price for a new one just in case so they have options (repair/replace). Good advice Trippin on the Sporlan clean up filter.

cap tubes have always plugged up.Even with r-12 and mineral oil.However POE oil is worse.a good drier helps.Cheap OEM companies use the cheapest copper spun driers that they can get.With what is known about POE oil and cap tubes,It is a crying shame that all systems with POE oil do not use expansion valves.That would stop most problems.Oh, I forgot.We don't care about the life and reliability of the unit.As long as it lasts long enough to get out of warranty.As far as i am concerned,it is a consumer ripoff to build a unit with r-134a and poe oil with a cap tube.Sure it works long enough.But not like the same system as with a txv . Shame on all the manufacturers .No quality left.Just looking to make a quick buck. I change cap tubes and driers on units everyweek.Lucky if they also don't killl the compressor.Anyone know who is making a small sandwich type of unit and only using a txv.I would like to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Gleng View Post
    cap tubes have always plugged up.Even with r-12 and mineral oil.However POE oil is worse.a good drier helps.Cheap OEM companies use the cheapest copper spun driers that they can get.With what is known about POE oil and cap tubes,It is a crying shame that all systems with POE oil do not use expansion valves.That would stop most problems.Oh, I forgot.We don't care about the life and reliability of the unit.As long as it lasts long enough to get out of warranty.As far as i am concerned,it is a consumer ripoff to build a unit with r-134a and poe oil with a cap tube.Sure it works long enough.But not like the same system as with a txv . Shame on all the manufacturers .No quality left.Just looking to make a quick buck. I change cap tubes and driers on units everyweek.Lucky if they also don't killl the compressor.Anyone know who is making a small sandwich type of unit and only using a txv.I would like to know.
    on a poe system with a txv, if that cond coil isnt kept clean there will be plugged inlet screens or the guts of the valve yanno .. i think there is no escape lol ... i know of guys that dump the oil in the compressors & put in fresh ..... they need to stop putting out units with such tightly spaced finned condensers .... or us guys in the field gotta start adding extra controls to have units cut out if extra heat/head is sensed with manual resets & at that point it would be evident it needs cleaning

You have a point on plugged screens on a txv.However, i have worked on many walk in coolers with r-134a and txv. Don't have much problem.I suppose that is because they condensing units are outside and don't tend toget as dirty and greasy as units in the kitchen Plus a bigger condenser coil.Lower heat and oil getting thick.I don't have the full answer.Still think the txv will out last and out perform the cap tube.They make a txv that comes apart to easily clean the inlet screen. HOWEVER, here we go again.That is too expensive.I use them on systems when i have to replace a txv.At least on a walk in you can pump the unit down and easily clean the screen(if you have that type of valve installed on the system) Don't have the answer for the small units.Maybe, as noted.Cheap (klixon) manually reset high pressure control will help.

Glenn I totally agree with what you just wrote. Small sandwich prep table coolers with just a TXV and no cap tube that ALSO have schraeder gauge access ports are a thing of the past with the competition to sell the "Cheapest unit" to the restaurant owners. It's sad.

Personally, I don't think the manufacturers build the "cheap" equiptment to live much more than 5 years on purpose. They got to make money too. Blame the restaurant owners for that. Not to change the subject, but why hasn't anyone come up with a coating for an evap coil that lasts for more than 5-7 years of exposure to vegetables. I guess it's to keep service guys busy.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

You can order some units with epoxy coated coils.BUT.they cost more.Usually the customer is not aware of what they are getting.Part of the problem is that restaurant suppliers sell a total package to a new restaurant.Tables,chairs dishes,ETC.They are price competitive and not just looking at the coolers.It changes when you get into the big chains like Mcdonalds,Burger king,Chick fila.They have enough money to get specific refrigeration people to design good refrigeration equipment. Usually all remote condensing units,small racks,etc.Equipment that works better and lasts.The small guys just buy run of the mill crap.Oh well .Get what you pay for.But still don't excuse the crap that is out there,Poor customer has no clue,unless they been around for a good while and have deep pockets.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast