trying to back up Com-Trol 4000s

We are converting a supermarket from Com-Trol 4000 controllers to one Danfoss Ak255. I'm having trouble backing up the software with an RS232-to-RS485 converter. It sees the controls individually when I hook them up, but doesn't see anything when I hook up to the group bus and scan. Every unit I tried timed out at about 37% or 5 sectors, which the tech is telling me means it probably isn't getting anything. I see the red LED on the CPU board flashing sometimes during the download attempt. Tried swapping the comm chips between the group and local busses, no difference. I have an RS484-to-USB adapter on order. Hopefully that will do it. Otherwise I'll be going off 10 year old backups I found on a floppy.

Any other suggestions besides the USB adapter?

I also have to get communications going to some Trane units with CIB (computer interface boards) in them. Most likely will be replacing them with CTI boards and using contact closures, since there's a stack of old CIB boards sitting in the HVAC control panel.

does the site have a 5k or 6k or C-Web? or only 4k's?

Only 4ks, 5 total, and the CIBs in the Trane units. 232-485 adapter is half-duplex. Tried with and without outside power to the adapter, same results. Tried swapping lines, won't see the control then. Really frustrating, especially when I've never seen Com-trols before and are trying to learn them at the same time!

I would suggest you get or make the Comtrol cable in the attached PDF. You will also need the Comtrol program EzSet. Then pull back the 4k's individually.
    Attached Images Attached Images

ALready made the cable, that's what I was using. With the EZ Set software. It would be nice if there was a PING function in the software to verify the connection.
    My USB to 485 cable came in yesterday, so I'll try that Monday. Otherwise I will just make the new program off the old backups and manually verify any changes since then.

I have the same problems on stores that have been wired in a STAR configuration. GO to the individual 4k's and disconnect the comm buss. Pull them back one by one.