Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kind of baffled

Post Likes

Confused Kind of baffled

Just installed a Goodman 3 ton heat pmp in my home. new thermostat, new line set, new a coil, all three ton. I change the line set to a 3/4 to 3/8 in order to attain a greater efficiency even though the system is a r22 system. ..... I installed the heat pmp with an existing trane furnace i noly wanted to use for emergency heat and I wired the thermostat with emergency to cut on the furnace. wired everything........my problem is the compressor. My condenser fan motor comes on, but the compressor does not. I changed the capacitor because I had a new one,( Mind you unit is 2 mos old), ohmed the compressor
    1.0 ,2.5, 3.5, checked out ok,,,,I have 240 volts, as i listen to the unit every2 or 3 min. there is a sound coming from inside like something trying to cycle, i think, regardless i have checked all my connections and cannot figure out this problem.

Post Likes
    Check the wiring REALLY good. They have come wired wrong before. If it ohms good and you are sure you have a good capacitor then it should run. Is it drawing locked rotor amps?

Post Likes
    You need 3 things, power - path - load.

Post Likes

Thumbs up

I agree check wires make sure that they have everything right. If so maybe try a boost or hard start kit to break it loose. My money is on wiring. Either at comp. Orwrong phase to run cap

Post Likes
    Did you open the service valves? If not, I hate to think about what else you didn't do.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    More at: http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/education/

Post Likes
    if those are the correct readings when you rung that compressor, you gotta problem
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes

Input Appreciated

Thanks for the input. service ports are definately open. I havent checked lock rotor amps. Will do that today as well as check wiring. More investigating will return with results.

Post Likes
    If the evap coil is equipped with a TXV you WILL need a hard start kit installed. Actually do yourself a favor and add a hard start kit to any condenser that has a recip compressor. I hate to brand bash but I swear to god every time I put in a Goodman with a recip i'm back there within a few days because its sitting there humming. I put one in Friday and it only fired up at initial start up and I was back the next day putting a hard 5-2-1 start kit on it and haven't been back since. This one had a Bristol recip in it and it was on a 30 year old cap tube AH.
    Quote Originally Posted by k-fridge View Post
    The laws of physics know no brand names.

Post Likes
    Dave, in Florida how many more years do you want to get out of a 30 yr old cap tube system and don't you have a concern about compatibility with the metering device? Must have been an apt building?

Post Likes
    It was a dry charged 22 unit, a last resort for someone strapped for cash. Even though its probably not getting anywhere close to 13 SEER its doing a better job than the blown out compressor we took out. Worst case scenario is the coil springs a leak and we put up a Trane that can be switched to 410a or 22 if they want to upgrade in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by k-fridge View Post
    The laws of physics know no brand names.

Post Likes
    Checked everything again. Decided that the compressor was bad. Took it out and replaced under warranty. I had help deciding since I had a buddy told me he had a compressor do the same thing{good ohm reading no start}. Runs good now still working on getting the charge right. they make them hard to bend over the tall coil and solder a compressor in. it was quite a chore. I hate to change compressors. I gave 500 bucks for it and it is three months old. great deal since I am a tech I can keep the thing going for a little while anyway until I can get up enough money to put a better unit in. By the way this unit is installed in my house. i can keep an eye on it. ,,,,,
    I have heard of techs pumping refrig. down into the compressor. any problem with doing that. I usually recover and recharge. I know the compressor companies don't like this

Post Likes
    SoFlaDave, I thought pretty much all they have now is scroll compressors? Im pretty sure this is a scroll

Post Likes
    I am in the industry tech to tech. I have installed 8 systems this summer on the side helping people with needs that dont have 5 to 7 K to install the bells and whistles. they are thankful for an alternative and i stand behind the units.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast