+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ALC Supervision... PC to gateway comm issue

Post Likes

ALC Supervision... PC to gateway comm issue

Hey everyone...Here at our site we have a small network consisting of an LGE panel (which is the gateway, I believe you'd call it), a BACview panel and some other contoller at the rooftop unit. We have a PC running Supervision 3.02 as well.

Supervision is giving this message:

Communication error - Bad or Garbled
    Bad or no response from module
    FB due to noise, no communication, or no memory downloaded.
    Eliminate phone line /CMnet noise or verify module communications.

This can also be caused by FB mismatch. Check comms first.
    If no problem exists, then this workstation may be using a FB with a
    different name or a different revision number than the FB in the module.
    If the FB in the workstation database is correct, transfer memory to the module, Otherwise get the correct version for the database.

It says check comm, which I believe is good since the "connected" icon is visible and the panels are bright pink in the system tree view.

Having very infrequent interaction with the system (and no experience with 'Supervision' ) I have no idea what could have caused this. The system is functioning as normal, aside from not being able to see anything from the Supervision PC though.

It sounds like I need to do a transfer from the panels to the database to fix this? Not sure about that though... any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Post Likes
    Most likely a module has gone south and is bringing down the network. To validate this I usually go to the first module and split the comm. If it comes back up you know its a module. Pink is no bueno. Pink (Coral as ALC calls it), is when the modules have lost comm.

If its a small network like a few units, it will probably be easier just to disconnect one at a time and see which one is the problem child.
    "It's not that I'm smart, it's that I stay with the problem longer”
    Albert Einstein

Post Likes
    Thanks for the feedback...now that I compare the panel icons color with another properly working (similar) setup in the building, i see that they appear more magenta colored than the "coral". I have attached some screen shots this time, hopefully they show up. Therefore, I don't know that I suspect any problem with the network. What do you all think?

original message:

also, the network only consists of one other panel besides the LGE gateway, thats the controller on the rooftop unit. there is also the BACview thing which I guess connects to the control panel on the roof directly as well. Not sure because it is located in a very inconvenient place (480vac power supply cabinet) which requires shutting down the unit to access.

I believe the panel "Main" is the one on the roof that the PC has some issue with. I could try pulling the comm wire from the LGE, i suppose. Maybe these pics help a little.

Post Likes
    Is your system dial-up, or ethernet?

If dialup, do you get the error message immediately after trying to connect (i.e., no hesitation in SuperVision at all)? If so, it might be a connection configuration error within SuperVision.

Regarding xarralu's post...coral (no com) is usually reserved for gateway module to field module communications (i.e. UNI16 to U341v+). Purple (no com) is reserved for modules on the main ARC156 network...

Have you tried unplugging the ARC156 plug on your LGET as xarralu suggested and see if you can at least get at your gateway?

Post Likes
    All of your errors are just an indication of no connection. I need to know if you are connected via Direct connect or Ethernet. Do you have an CAT5 wire or an older DC99 15 pin cable connected to the LGE?

Check your connections page and see if it is correct, if Ethernet connected, maybe your port is OFF, I also suggest that you hard boot your machine. If you're connecting via modem, go into Hyperterminal and do a AT&F then AT&W on the modem and try it again.
    HotRod

Controls..some days your a hero, some days your a zero. Direct acting since 1992.

Post Likes
    The PC communicates interfaces with the LGE via a serial (DB9?) cable. My first thought was that the com port was not the problem because initially the message at the bottom right hand on the tree screen shows the lighning bolt (actively communicating with the panels), and then shows it 'plugged' in, and says 'connected' as seen on the screenshot. However, I will look into the possibility of a COM 3 problem (i think it may be a USB to serial converter). eg, double check speeds, settings etc.

Other than that, tried to pull the network line off of the LGE... everything looks the same, same message, all panels show as magenta. So, not sure what to make of that yet.
    What should I see if I am connected only to the gateway via the PC(i.e, with no ARC156 network)? Is there anything that I can confirm by doing this?

Post Likes
    The cable that you have is called a DC99 cable, this is a direct connect cable that talks right to the LGE.

PM or EMail me.
    HotRod

Controls..some days your a hero, some days your a zero. Direct acting since 1992.

Post Likes
    well, just tried a different com port on the pc and I can see that it is attempting to communicate with the LGE, ('console comm' recieve light flashes, but no transmit) but then get the message 'no comm with the gateway'.

Post Likes
    Try this while setup on the port that you think is the correct one to go into Control Panel and see what port you should be using.

In Supervision, go to view and make sure that Manual Commands is checked. In manual commands type mo 1,1,1,15 and hit enter (there are 2 spaces after mo). See what comes back whether it gives you data or says bad or garbled.
    HotRod

Post Likes
    when I do manual command: mo 1,1,1,15 i get the message:

"Module status: Bad communication, module empty, module driver mismatch"

Post Likes
    So thet tells me that you are not communicating from the Central Site to the LGE, it has nothing to do with your ArcNet.

In control panel, is your port speed set above the stock connection speed of 9600 for that port? I typically set it 115K baud 8 N 1. You need to confirm that you are using the correct port, you then go into CONFIGURE and you should see DIRECT CONNECTION and COM1 or 2 or 3, whatever is the correct port, and set your connection speed. On an LGE it is either 9600 or 38.4 as set on the DIP switch on the LGE. After confirming all of that, do the same command that I gave you, if you can't get data there, you cannot go any further.
    HotRod

Post Likes
    wow, wouldn't you know it... the panel was configured to talk at 38.4, while COM1 was set in the control panel and in Supervision at 9600. I wouldn't have thought that it could have been changed in the supervision setup but somehow it did. I guess thats what I get for assuming... Anyway, thanks Hotrod!

Post Likes
    Glad it worked out! Us old control guys know old equipment .. LOL!
    HotRod

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in