Post Likes

Confused Carrier 30GX Chiller

Hi Guys,
    New to the Forum just wondered if I could get some info on the Carrier 30RX chiller? I currently have one that is faulting due to being low on gas I have been called to look at it and im not very familiar with them, am I right in thinking the suction pot is right at the bottom of the compressor attached to the Evap/Water tank? I want to take a stab at fixing this for the experience but wanted a little more info on the way they work ETC

Thanks in advance

Tom

Post Likes
    I commend you for wanting to learn how this machine ticks but with zero information about you or your experience level in your profile I doubt you are going to see many responses here. I suggest you google the make / model for manuals and do some reading before you "take a stab at fixing" this unit. Those compressors are not cheap and learning them at your employers or customers expense can be an expensive experience. With that I wish you you good luck.

Post Likes
    As I say I'm new to this sort of unit, I've had an engineer out who has blown the compressor on the second chiller due to running it on cold oil, the oil heater has packed in. I just wanted to know about the way it runs and if the suction is in fact at the bottom of the compressor?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tommychill View Post
    As I say I'm new to this sort of unit, I've had an engineer out who has blown the compressor on the second chiller due to running it on cold oil, the oil heater has packed in. I just wanted to know about the way it runs and if the suction is in fact at the bottom of the compressor?
    Yes, the suction is at the bottom of the compressor. I cant really tell you how everything works step by step, there are a few threads in this forum about 30gx, do a search, read them all and come back with more questions as you wish.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    Yes, the suction is at the bottom of the compressor. I cant really tell you how everything works step by step, there are a few threads in this forum about 30gx, do a search, read them all and come back with more questions as you wish.
    Makes sense, I didn't want to start ripping covers off to find something, different! Thanks for your feed back i will read up on the units, will remove the gas and pressure test this week.

Once again thanks for your help

Post Likes
    Carrier quit making these units in 2004. I've worked on them many times. Best of luck!

Post Likes
    Chiller Miller on your avatar you have what looks to be the female and male screw. Was that a field repair or is that a factory demo. Set up ?

Post Likes
    Field repair to a 23xl

Post Likes
    I see thanks

Post Likes
    I had not seen an exposed repair like that. I thought the thrust and axial bearings in any screw were not field replaceable and looking at the picture it would seem you have the bearings off before the gas out let (discharge). Very nice.