Post Likes

20 year old PEH 076 oil issue

hi
    new here. Last spring I pulled and weighed the charge on this machine.
    it was supposed to have 775 lbs but it only had 275 lbs. I also replaced oil filter and the oil in the sump. I repaired the micro leak on the solinoid valve and pressure tested chiller ok. The vacuum was good at 750 microns. However over the next few months the oil level would keep disapearing. is there a way of telling the amount of oil in the chiller. The armourflex on the barrel was stained with oil but not 4 gallons worth. i have the service valve cracked on top of the oil sump and the oil level was good before. how does the oil mix with refrigerant and then separate? And where does it go? I ve seen Trane low pressure machine lose oil level but then return the next day all the while not losing oil pressure? never easy always a challenge

DLR

Post Likes
    You are sinking . You need the support of a CHILLER MECHANIC !

Post Likes
    You have a seal that is gone my freind.
    As CHILLERSVCMAN said, "You need the support of a CHILLER MECHANIC!"

4. Likes CHILLERSVCMAN liked this post
    Post Likes

Post Likes
    If the machine is running constant low load condition the oil will leave to the evap

Post Likes
    Not necessarily a seal issue oil loss troubleshooting on these machines is a chore.it could be in the oil pump itself.Busted mist eliminator or clogged jet pump.

Post Likes
    Have a similar problem with one of this - it was mist eliminator broken on top of oil sump, blocking oil flow.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CHILLERSVCMAN View Post
    You are sinking . You need the support of a CHILLER MECHANIC !
    The " Inverted Triangle of Knowledge " states ; If one can give a single answer solution to a problem than

one has not seen many problems .

Post Likes
    When it was running short of refrigerant the low mass flow rate would have slowed oil return. Now you have sorted that issue out you need to leave it off for a while to build load up, then run it at 100% for half an hour to get the oil back

Remember: if oil isn't splattered on the walls or in a big pool underneath- it's in there somewhere. So don't put more in- work out where it has gone and how to get it back

The bottom of the evaporator is a good place to look- check the eductors are working- there will be a sight glass where you can see the oil being drawn back. Check solonoid valves on the oil separator. Check oil strainers and oil filters

Post Likes
    No there is only one eductor on a Mcquay it is in the top of the oil pump tank and draws oil off of the plate the mist eliminator sit on after it runs off the eliminator.No line from bottom of the evap it's not a trane.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the specific response Summerhelp. I am not familiar with that machine so I was giving him a generalised post to help him on his way

Post Likes
    Youve either got a bad oring in the compressor or a defective nose seal. Does the oil come back in the off cycle? Whats your sump pressure vs your evaporator pressure?
    To much work with too little time!!!!