+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kind of baffled repair

Post Likes

Kind of baffled repair

Checked everything again. Decided that the compressor was bad. Took it out and replaced under warranty. I had help deciding since I had a buddy told me he had a compressor do the same thing{good ohm reading no start}. Runs good now still working on getting the charge right. they make them hard to bend over the tall coil and solder a compressor in. it was quite a chore. I hate to change compressors. I gave 500 bucks for it and it is three months old. great deal since I am a tech I can keep the thing going for a little while anyway until I can get up enough money to put a better unit in. By the way this unit is installed in my house. i can keep an eye on it. ,,,,,
    I have heard of techs pumping refrig. down into the compressor. any problem with doing that?It was a common thing when I was in tech school. I usually recover and recharge. I know the compressor companies don't like this http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/images/smilies/cheers2.gif.

Post Likes
    Well, it is not the compressor you are pumping the refrigerant into, it is the condensor coil that is holding the charge. Next, if you have a tall coil that needs the compressor changed, sometimes you need to remove the electric panel and the bottom panel to access the compressor. Usually the compressor and fan leads are long enough and you can disconnect the high and low voltage and swing the electric panel out of the way or if you are comfortable just disconnect what needs to be disconnected and remove it , take a picture with your cell phone for reference on the rewire.

Post Likes
    Thanks, cooling good now. Ill remember this method for next changeout

Post Likes
    I've removed the coil a few times for easier access.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in