+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manual J:Encapsulated foamed attic vs. traditionally vented/insulated

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Manual J:Encapsulated foamed attic vs. traditionally vented/insulated

Could one of the pro's do a quick comparison test with their manual j calcs to answer a question I have? Take any house that you have a manual j done on and leave everything the same except for the attic (with no ducts or air handler in attic) and see what happens to the load when you change from a vented attic with traditional insulation levels of fiberglass or cellulose on the attic floor(whatever the R-level is for your area) to an attic spray foamed at the roof with 3 inches of foam (closed cell and/or open cell). Which method results in a higher cooling load? Remember, no ducts in attic. Thanks to anyone willing to do this.
    An answer without a question is meaningless.
    Information without understanding is useless.
    You can lead a horse to water............
    http://www.mohomeenergyaudits.com

Post Likes
    There is a button on the wrightsoft software called encapsulated. It always reduces the load in Florida heat to eliminate duct gain completely. R-8 flex reduces substantially the load on a conventionally insulated home.

Post Likes
    It also depends on the sealing level of the air ducts and equipment.
    Another factor is the climate.

The Manual J v.7 which I use for retrofits, assumes a 15% duct heat gain for ducts in the attic. That served me well for the past 30 years. I did get bit one time on a flat roof house that I downsized 1/2 ton. The problem was excessive duct leakage and the ducts were not accessible. I had to replace the unit with the original size. (before Aeroseal.)
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    NEVER STOP LEARNING.

Post Likes
    ummm, he said nothing about ducts, well the op did. there are no ducts nor equipment in attic.
    It's hard to stop a Trane. but I have made one helluva living keeping them going.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tipsrfine View Post
    Could one of the pro's do a quick comparison test with their manual j calcs to answer a question I have? Take any house that you have a manual j done on and leave everything the same except for the attic (with no ducts or air handler in attic) and see what happens to the load when you change from a vented attic with traditional insulation levels of fiberglass or cellulose on the attic floor(whatever the R-level is for your area) to an attic spray foamed at the roof with 3 inches of foam (closed cell and/or open cell). Which method results in a higher cooling load? Remember, no ducts in attic. Thanks to anyone willing to do this.
    ?

Post Likes
    ?
    that's what I was screaming, you said no ducts or equipment in attic, and have 2 answers that factor duct leakage in the attic. People are quick to answer yet fail to read and comprehend.
    It's hard to stop a Trane. but I have made one helluva living keeping them going.

Post Likes

attic insulation

1300 sf attic
    R38 in the ceiling S=12705 btuh L= 2916
    R35 encapsulated S=12172 L= 2916

Climate zone 6A

Post Likes
    R-35 with 3 inches of foam sprayed at the roof???????

Post Likes

3" R6 foam

1300 sf attic
    R18 encapsulated S=12637 L= 2916 (3" of R6 foam)

Climate zone 6A

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tlj000 View Post
    1300 sf attic
    R18 encapsulated S=12637 L= 2916 (3" of R6 foam)

Climate zone 6A
    Thanks, I appreciate it. It really makes me think I need to buy the software and learn it well. It seems one could use it as a sort of learning tool simply by making small changes such as you did with this, and then investigate WHY the program made the changes to the loads.
    I wonder how the program interpreted "3 inches of foam". Does it consider that the raftors are completely encased in 3 inches also, and not factor in the conductive gains through them? I mean, take all the raftors and put them together and you have a large area that only has an R-1.
    I can see why this tool, like all other tools, is only as good as the person using it. I certainly can't see relying on a calc prepared by someone who has little experience using it. Thanks again.

Post Likes
    Interesting thread... I have done a few 'foam' homes.

The homes I did had either 2x10 or 2x12 roof rafters, filled. The difference was amazing!

One thing to be careful with foam homes: MUA! Is there enough air to allow the fireplace to draft? Is there enough air to allow the kitchen vent to exhaust? Is there enough air to allow the bath fans to exhaust? When one opens or closes a door, will it fight you because the house is too tight?

We had to use ERV's (one for each system) to make up for an over tight house... worked well.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Interesting thread... I have done a few 'foam' homes.

The homes I did had either 2x10 or 2x12 roof rafters, filled. The difference was amazing!

One thing to be careful with foam homes: MUA! Is there enough air to allow the fireplace to draft? Is there enough air to allow the kitchen vent to exhaust? Is there enough air to allow the bath fans to exhaust? When one opens or closes a door, will it fight you because the house is too tight?

We had to use ERV's (one for each system) to make up for an over tight house... worked well.
    When dealing with very air tight homes, I would suggest using make-up air ventilation instead of balanced ventilation to give the clothes drier, kitchen hood, and bath fans a chance of getting some air to function. Balanced flow ERV exhaust as much as they supply. This does nothing to help exhaust devices.
    Most occupants do not realize the importance of continuous fresh air ventilation for purging the pollutants and renewing oxygen. They tend not operate the ventilating during the warm months when it is needed the most. Properly ventilated homes will be damp during the shoulder seasons unless you have a whole house dehumidifier to maintain <50%RH during low/no cooling loads.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    2668 sq ft home
    R38 Ceiling
    R13 Walls
    Total 22506
    Sensible 18025
    Latent 4479

R25 Foam Encapsulated
    R13 Walls
    Total 20720
    Sensible 17494
    Latent 3226

Add duct in the attic

R38 Ceiling
    Total 33307
    Sensible 26707
    Latent 6600

R25 Foam Encapsulated
    Total 26620
    Sensible 21476
    Latent 5144

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rickboggs View Post
    2668 sq ft home
    R38 Ceiling
    R13 Walls
    Total 22506
    Sensible 18025
    Latent 4479

R25 Foam Encapsulated
    R13 Walls
    Total 20720
    Sensible 17494
    Latent 3226

Add duct in the attic

R38 Ceiling
    Total 33307
    Sensible 26707
    Latent 6600

R25 Foam Encapsulated
    Total 26620
    Sensible 21476
    Latent 5144
    It would appear the BIG advantage is if the system (equipment and ducts) is in the attic. Logical for the style of construction down here... probably not that big a deal in areas where equipment and ducts are in conditioned space.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    It would appear the BIG advantage is if the system (equipment and ducts) is in the attic.
    Well, that might be called the "no-brainer" situation.

Sometimes it's not the quantifiable benefits but the unquantifiable quality of life ones. I think really the big advantage is hard to know until you've lived in a foamed house. Not many people who have would go back if they had a choice.

That said, I do like cellulose. But I sell redefine in some circumstances where there is no hvac in the attic. If you have to count on a level of quality in attic air sealing which is not likely to be achieved by regular human beings than redefine is simply the safe approach.

I prefer to avoid recommending work that has a high likelihood of poor or mediocre results. I ask myself is the attic in question particularly likely to be a failure addressed other way?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rickboggs View Post
    2668 sq ft home
    R38 Ceiling
    R13 Walls
    Total 22506
    Sensible 18025
    Latent 4479

R25 Foam Encapsulated
    R13 Walls
    Total 20720
    Sensible 17494
    Latent 3226

Add duct in the attic

R38 Ceiling
    Total 33307
    Sensible 26707
    Latent 6600

R25 Foam Encapsulated
    Total 26620
    Sensible 21476
    Latent 5144
    Thanks Rick. How many inches of foam did you use to get R-25, and did you account for the conductive heat gain through the rafters that were not covered in foam? I can't see getting an R25 out of 3 inches of foam and the rafters are left exposed.

Post Likes
    Thanks Rick. How many inches of foam did you use to get R-25, and did you account for the conductive heat gain through the rafters that were not covered in foam? I can't see getting an R25 out of 3 inches of foam and the rafters are left exposed.
    5 1/2" of foam. I think, am not sure, that Manual J assumes 15%..... or is it 10%..... for roof construction.

Post Likes
    You could tell us some of them.

Post Likes
    On foamed homes. 2 stage should probably be the only thing offered, and be sized as close to the load as possible. And thermostats that don have to let the temp drop 2 degrees to bring on the A/C should probably be the only thermostat choice. Or the home will end up with high humidity from the ERV that will probably be set too high most of the time.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    On foamed homes. 2 stage should probably be the only thing offered, and be sized as close to the load as possible. And thermostats that don have to let the temp drop 2 degrees to bring on the A/C should probably be the only thermostat choice. Or the home will end up with high humidity from the ERV that will probably be set too high most of the time.
    Add in the point that a cooling coil accumulates moisture for the first 15-30 minutes of the cooling cycle before moisture goes down the drain. During the off cycle the moistue on the coil/pan evaporates back to the home.
    The occupants and fresh infiltrating/ventilating air contribute the moisture.
    During evenings and cool wet days with low/no cooling loads, an undersized a/c or 2 stage a/c will not maintain <50%RH. Reheat or a dehumidifier are solutions to proper fresh air ventilating and occupants moisture to maintain <50%RH. An adequately sized for peak loads a/c and 2-4 lbs, per dehumidifier make a good simple combination for a healthy and comfortable home.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in