Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

* Charging via Suction Line - Still Work??? *

My boss taught me that charging a system about 70 when ambient is cool and 75 when ambient is hot, should be "within range" and system should work fine. I did asked him once why not charged the system via superheat and he said that only if he feels he needs to.

Just wandering if this is still acceptable in the trade and do most pros do that or never.

Thanks, Sean.

70 what?

70 psig on the suction line.

Follow the manufacturer's charging chart.

When you get Pro Membership, we can discuss ways to handle charging when there is no chart.

That is not good practice indoor air temp humidity airflow out door temp will all change sp. Use chart that comes in unit it is most accurate way next to weighing. In charge

Quote Originally Posted by seanhoang View Post
    My boss taught me that charging a system about 70 when ambient is cool and 75 when ambient is hot, should be "within range" range of what?and system should work fine. I did asked him once why not charged the system via superheat and he said that only if he feels he needs to.at what point does he feel he needs to?

Just wandering if this is still acceptable in the trade and do most pros do that or never.

Thanks, Sean.
    This is ridiculous, your boss must be real old school?! If I were you, I would do it all according to parameters.

The practice your boss is telling you is not acceptable.

Nothing personal:
    You need to run your numbers, instead of being a dial watcher.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Sean,

Couple of things.

First, apply for professional membership. You've got the posts and you are apparently in the trade.

Second, connecting a set of gauges to a system WITHOUT connecting a set of thermometers doesn't really tell you what is going on.

If you want to really know what the system is doing, you need to measure and verify everything.

I respect "the man" alot and his knowledge of the trade. Perhaps he's been doing this for a long time that he "feels" thing. I know.. I know.. I'm confused myself. Me and him don't see eye to eye on everything, but he's passion about teaching me the trade.

Well nuff' said. Thanks and see you guys on the other side!!!

I respect "the man" alot and his knowledge of the trade. Perhaps he's been doing this for a long time that he "feels" thing. I know.. I know.. I'm confused myself. Me and him don't see eye to eye on everything, but he's passion about teaching me the trade.

Your relationship with your boss sounds a bit like the one I had with the guy that taught me this trade.

For years, he patiently taught me the basics and showed me how things worked.

He taught me how to charge an AC system just about the same way you describe.

Taught me how to charge a cap tube system with one hand on the condenser and one hand on the manifold hand wheel.

All in all, taught me to be a prety formidable technician.

Then my dad retired.

I had to re-learn a whole bunch of stuff that I'd taken for granted for years and learn a bunch of new stuff that I'd never even thought of.

Best to start learning the correct way to do things now, even if you have to be a bit 'sneaky' about it.

Measure Supeheat and say you're 'practicing' do the same with subcooling.

Try to read the charging charts and determine if the system is charged accurately.

Hey, it's Friday, so cheers.

My boss taught me that charging a system about 70 when ambient is cool and 75 when ambient is hot, should be "within range" and system should work fine. I did asked him once why not charged the system via superheat and he said that only if he feels he needs to.

Thanks, Sean.
    That is good old ball park for older less efficient units but the newer and high efficiency units aren't as forgiving. A few ounces +- here or there can make a difference in just cooling and cooling to it's designed efficiency. Charge by subcool or superheat, whichever metering device the unit has and follow the manufacturer's recommended stats. You can have two exact systems operate at different pressures to reach the desired SH/SC so simply having a rule of thumb low side pressure is just guessing and settling for cooling over performance and efficiency.
    "I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1766

Thanks, Sean.
    Pretty scary that this happens alot. Im included. I went through three shops before I was told to check superheat and subcooling and why it was important. Went back to my school book and read the theory on superheat and subcooling over and over and over . I asked a new graduate, that we hired at the beginning of the summer, to check the superheat on a unit and let me know what it was at and he said "Whats that" . Why are these schools allowed to take these kids money and give them a 9 month crash course? Makes me sick.
    If your not getting the results you desire then change. People change from either desperation or inspiration.

ummmmm his knowledge of the trade.............
    umm his passion about teaching you the trade$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I don't see him doing any of that sorry.. you need an experinced teacher to get the bad habits out of you quickly before you hurt us all !!!!!!!!!
    It is what it is unless I say differently !!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast