I was working on a hussman ice cream freezer at a quick stop. I was our third tech out. Freezer intermittenly goes down but is always fine when we show up. Long story short. I soaked the condensor with ice water to force the headmaster to open. Aint happening. It would not fully bypass. It would barely open and the bypass line got very cool and almost started to sweat. I have it scheduled to change out, but any thoughts?
    I will enter His gates with thanksgiving in my heart.

Did it maintain head pressure on the liquid line ?
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

Double Ditto to what Lmtd said. You can get fooled real easy on those deals.
    If you really know how it works, you have an execellent chance of fixin' er up!

Tomorrow is promised to no one...

Ill tripple the low gas diagnosis.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Alco or Sporlan? "Headmaster" is Alco so chances of valve failure is quadruple. Seriously though have seen Alco fail much more often than Sporlan, have not worked on one for years though. If you have isolation valves and schraeder access you can diagnose much easier, a good installation of these valves will always create the ability to isolate and replace these valves without pumping out the condenser and/or other components and provide access to the portions of the piping between the isolation and the valve (for safety and troubleshooting). Understanding how the valve works is also important, the 2 brands essentially do the same thing but in a different way, Sporlan is OROA (open on rise of outlet) and (Alco will bypass on drop in inlet?) can't remember. Someone correct if wrong, used to have a good drawing for example, I shall try to find. Bottom line on that kind of system, I would opt for adjustable Sporlan ORI with ORD check valve, never liked valves that I could not adjust and/or override!

[Edited by mccool on 11-24-2005 at 01:19 AM]
    Watts New, Ohm My, I been Electrically Commutated. Are U2.

I also like the ORI/ORD much better, but cost must be kept in mind on the less expensive equipment.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Thanks for the ideas. The system charge was ok. A second opinion verified because it's though an insurance co. Like home warranty for commercial instead. I was on vacation for thnx givin! Don't know if it's open ended or if we sent someone else out yet.
    I will enter His gates with thanksgiving in my heart.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mccool
    [B]Alco or Sporlan? "Headmaster" is Alco so chances of valve failure is quadruple.

What a great line! Two thoughts, first if it is a self contained unit and you think it may not have a full charge, then weigh in the proper amount. Second, when charging systems with flooded head pressure control, if you charge to a full sight glass only, then the system will only have a full charge for that ambient temperature or higher. In other words, if you charge to a full sight glass when its 85F, the system will be short charged when the weather changes and its now 45F ambient. Trust me, there's nothing worse than looking for a leak that doesn't exist.

Trust me, there's nothing worse than looking for a leak that doesn't exist.

That is hilarious but sooooooooooooooooo true!!!!!!
    If you really know how it works, you have an execellent chance of fixin' er up!

Tomorrow is promised to no one...