Critters in Intake / Exhaust PVC

Critters in Intake / Exhaust PVC

I think the PVC for these high efficiency furnaces is pretty big. 4" maybe?

Anyone have an issue with critters crawling inside the intake or exhaust pipes? Just curious...seems like the ones I see are all open. If so, how did you resolve the issue and prevent it from happening again?

Clocker

We sometimes install a 1/4" wire mesh "cap" to keep birds out.
    We nearly always use a concentric vent & the bird problems pretty much stopped with those.

Edna Bay, Alaska Highest concentration of black bears in the US
    I once found one tweety bird in the burner compartment, and blew four more out of the the flue. Wasps are a ***** too. If you ever see dead bees in a furnace, you can guess where they came from.

Thousands of 90%+ furnaces around here and I've cleaned birds nest out of 2. It's a non-issue IMO.

We cut a 45 degree slash in the exhaust pipe sticking out the side of the house horizontally. That makes it harder for birds to land in the pipe. Intake should have an elbow facing down. We can't put screens on around here because it's so freaking cold they frost up. We pull out TONS of birds in furnaces usually during the first real cold snap in the fall. Some people stuff a rag or put a plug in the pipes over the summer with good results.