Unemployed factory worker looking for a change - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hey justdave, I say go for it[ I mean the HVAC school ] but realize you might just end up back in a factory. I worked in the field as a service tech for a contractor for six years and currently work in an industrial facillity as an hvac/electrical mechanic. I,ve been at this for 16 years and the outsourcing talk comes up from time to time. But I'm still a tech so I can go back to contractors or see what the new maint. co. offers or whatever. Bottom line is, a job can be taken away but skills can not. Good luck to ya.
    Some people swear by me and some at me

Originally posted by kritic
    Hey JustDave,

What classes and what day or nights are you taking, may be we will be in a class together?
    My schedule is still pending and i dont start till early January. It looks like most my courses will be in the evening. some of the courses they have me down for are:

06.WI.MET.103.50 HVAC INSTALL TECHNIQUES
    06.WI.MET.106.50 SURVEY OF COM HVAC SYS
    06.WI.MET.120.50 HVAC LOAD/DIST SMALL BLDG
    06.WI.INT.141.50 APPLIED SHOP MATH

I dont know if that means anything to you - lol. Im still a little bit confused on all of this.

JustDave,

Im taking basic heating on Monday eve. Hope you got a lot of spare time on your hands, thats quite a load for one quarter. Ill give you a little heads up--- Some of the stuff you will be studying you will be wondering what does this have to do with heating and air. They get sometimes to scientific with it ( especially that "survey of air cond. class") but hang in there it all will come together toward the end of your studies.

Just Dave,

I'm 47 and 4 years ago was in the same situation you are in now. After 4 years of hard work the money is starting to get back to a reasonable level. I was fortunate though, by having some previous experience from way back in my high school days along with some side work through the years.

In the world of HVAC service and installation one of the more difficult aspects to overcome has to be the physical demands put on someone our age. I am fit and thank GOD, in very good health, but there are many days when I ask myself how many years I can keep this up. You might want to take up mountain biking while you are in school to get the body ready as well as the mind.

Remember to hang tough and be careful of people trying to teach you their bad habits. Good Luck.

Originally posted by virginiatech
    Just Dave,

I'm 47 and 4 years ago was in the same situation you are in now. After 4 years of hard work the money is starting to get back to a reasonable level. I was fortunate though, by having some previous experience from way back in my high school days along with some side work through the years.

In the world of HVAC service and installation one of the more difficult aspects to overcome has to be the physical demands put on someone our age. I am fit and thank GOD, in very good health, but there are many days when I ask myself how many years I can keep this up. You might want to take up mountain biking while you are in school to get the body ready as well as the mind.

Remember to hang tough and be careful of people trying to teach you their bad habits. Good Luck.
    Thanks for the advice there Virginiatech. I will be the first to admit i have let myself go over the past few years and put on some extra weight. I am working on getting rid of this gut and thats something i need to do regardless of this career change. Dont get me wrong, im not morbidly obese, but dropping 20 pounds or so would be great for me. I know this is gonna be a big change and i want to kinda stay active so i am prepared for it all. Ive been trying to walk a couple miles a day and cutting out on the sweets - lol. I really am looking foward to this change, it was way overdue. I kinda wish i had checked into this years ago.
    BTW everyone. I did my first "furnace job" a few days ago. A couple of the ducts in my parents house were rotted out, i went down in the basement and replaced them. Kinda looks sloppy i know but it will work for now until i get through school and figure out what im doing!

Hi JustDave and Kritic, I am also going to Sinclair Jan.3. Wow what a small world hehe. I am also working at a factory that is starting to outsource our jobs. I am 35 years old so I know how you feel. I have been working there 10 years it just makes me sick. I figured I need a skilled trade to make it in America anymore and HVAC has interested me. I am taking one math course this semester so I can still work full time and go to school. I plan on taking more after I see how I can handle this. I am really nervous too because I know no one in the field either. I just keep thinking how if I stay where I am I will be either laid off or making $8.00 an hour. Well anyway hope we can all meet in school that would be real cool. Take care. Mike

old but not lost

I too got layed off from a factory job of 25 yrs i went to school for a year and a half got my diploma went to 3 schools at the same time my hours were terrible usually 8am til 10pm .i got a job a year ago and am now a installation manager i am 49 now and to much to my thoughts people to take into account that being older means being more stable and more rounded good luck stick it out

So manufacturing gets outsourced
    The skilled fields get flooded with people
    HVAC workers get cheeper

I supose more desperated people looking for work is good for the consumer

Will that sysyem crash?

Originally posted by sheltermonkey
    So manufacturing gets outsourced
    The skilled fields get flooded with people
    HVAC workers get cheeper

I supose more desperated people looking for work is good for the consumer

Will that sysyem crash?
    So are people that have manufacturing jobs supposed to just sit on our butt's and collect welfare or work at McDonalds for minimum wage? I understand in a way what you are trying to say, but you can't blame us for trying to feed our family's and pay our bills. I don't know what the answers are about this problem, but as long as more and more jobs get outsourced out of America the more we are all going to go thru this. This outsourcing is going to hit everyone sooner or later in some way in my opinion. Will this system crash? No I don,t think so because for one the money and the jobs are staying in our country. Two we are paying good money to go thru school and boosting our economy along with it. Three from the research I have done on HVAC jobs there is a demand for this job market. I hope I have not offended anyone.

Mike

No you certainly have to feed your family and do whats best for you but I think what sheltermonkey is saying is yes there is a big demand for the service guy in this trade and as long as that demand is there the wages will stay high because everybody is wanting a good service guy but if the market gets flooded with service people and it eventually will the demand goes down and thus the wages and bennies do to. Ive seen it happen in other trades.
    i CAN spell i just cant type

I was a factory worker for 22 years with GE in their refrigeration appliance business. They sold out and moved everything to Korea. 800 workers out the door. Everyone was offered $5000 towards re-schooling. I was sitting at home for the first time in 22 years wondering what I was going to do. My wife said use the money and get something out of it. So here I am a G2 gas technician with my ODP card and air-conditioning from college sitting here laid off again after a year working. No more of the small one man companies for me. I am looking for a well established large company to get into.

Peter T

[Edited by ptemko on 01-19-2006 at 07:53 PM]

Well that lay off didn't last to long. I found a job as a Tech with a well established company in the area. While I was having my second interview with the operations manger he was booking me a flight to St.Louis for 1 week of training. Uniforms supplied all 11 of them & ball caps. All I have to bring is my own hand tools. They supply the rest.
    Now the tool box I had been using is well stocked because I was doing installs and service on gas furnaces and gas boilers and anything else that produced heat. The new job is service to residential furnace and air-conditioning. I probably can take out some of the tools to lighten the load. My right arm is a bit longer than the left. I am starting out Wednesday morning riding with another tech to see how they run the show. I was told I would be in my own truck in no time. Now this is more like it.

Peter T

In the next 5 Years there will be a reduction in the HVAC and Constuction work force

The HVAC Field will be 33% short of the required workers to do the work

Welcome aboard to all you new guys and goodluck and take as much trainging as possible and never worry to hold out for the money that you need not what they offer

been in this HVAC thing for the past 8 years and I have never complained of the money I made at anyone time

Its even better in the office

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12