Minimum Tonnage Requirements/Laws? Texas...

Curious if there are laws or requirements in place, specifically in the state of Texas, that establish a minimum tonnage requirement based on certain square footages for residential applications?

I have a 2,762 sqft house (8ft ceilings throughout the 2/3rds of the house, 9ft in the remaining 1/3rd) that was built in August of 2005. The builder installed a single 5 ton unit using a damper system to divide that single system into two zones - up and down.

It seems to be underpowered and after talking with friends, I've learned that laws may exist requiring a 2nd unit in my case. If such a law or requirement exists, if you know where I could find the documentation, that would greatly help!

Thanks for any help or suggestions you may have.

Steve

There are no laws other than following code, being competent and ethical. Performing a manual J heat gain/loss calculation (computerized) along with a manual S will settle all doubts about the proper size

i've NEVER heard of a law saying how many systems to put in ones house, and i mean never!

It seems to be underpowered
    You have a large unit which I would think should do the job.

Might want to get the system checked over - charge, airflow, control wiring, etc.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

My first suggestion if your concerned would be to call out a local HVAC company to check the system.

There are no laws, as said from others, regarding min/max for sizing, etc. Also, your home should have been inspected to make sure everything was done to code when it was built.

With the heat we've been having this summer, it could just be your unit is doing it's best.
    Originally Posted by ladyfire3374:

"I used to wake up excited about the challenges of the day. Now the anticipation level is somewhere between a root canal and a colonoscopy."

I'm from Texas and do business in Texas. Local jurisidictions might require a manual j for plan and permit approval. There is no way you could ever set a law for this. Otherwise everything would be way oversized. Not sure of where Royce is. But 5 tons on your sq. footage unless you have a glass house with no trees should be plenty. I'm not sure of what you think is "underpowered". I've had one of these in the last 2 years that thinks it needs to be 62 all the time in the house no matter what the temperature outside. You really need to define "underpowered". You should be able to maintain 77ish during the heat of the day which is 108 in Austin lately.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

thanks for the tips and suggestions, guys, i'll call an HVAC company out to check things over and go from there.

Confused

Quote Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
    Curious if there are laws or requirements in place, specifically in the state of Texas, that establish a minimum tonnage requirement based on certain square footages for residential applications?

I have a 2,762 sqft house (8ft ceilings throughout the 2/3rds of the house, 9ft in the remaining 1/3rd) that was built in August of 2005. The builder installed a single 5 ton unit using a damper system to divide that single system into two zones - up and down.

It seems to be underpowered and after talking with friends, I've learned that laws may exist requiring a 2nd unit in my case. If such a law or requirement exists, if you know where I could find the documentation, that would greatly help!

Thanks for any help or suggestions you may have.

Steve

when you say under powered, what exactly does that mean? say its 102, degrees out side, what tempature are you expecting inside your home?? 60?65?70?75?80?85? just curious! need more input!